Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 02-24-2011, 06:07   #61
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksooner View Post
We talked about this in my class today, my professor is pretty sure the guy is CIA, and had some good theories about it.

Prayers go out to the man regardless, hopefully everything ends well.
Threadkiller.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19   #62
oksooner
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Threadkiller.
im confused here.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.....

"The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things." Miyamoto Musashi
oksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26   #63
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
im confused here.
What class in what school? Who is the professor? How is he qualified to make that surmisal?

(Pink font indicates sarcasm, irony, humor, etc., incidentally.)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:32   #64
oksooner
Asset

Quote:
What class in what school? Who is the professor? How is he qualified to make that surmisal?

(Pink font indicates sarcasm, irony, humor, etc., incidentally.)
The class is "CIA and Intelligence Reform" and the teacher is the dean of the honors college at the University of Oklahoma. He received a BA cum laude from Yale (1967), and his MA and PhD from Stanford (1969, 1978) in political science. He was army from 69-71. He then taught at Boston college and Georgia tech and now teaches here. He has a good relationship with some of the former agents here on campus and with the president of our university David Boren who i believe was the longest sitting member on the Senate Intelligence Committee, and whose protege is George Tenet.

"The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things." Miyamoto Musashi
Old 02-25-2011, 10:35   #65
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
The class is "CIA and Intelligence Reform" and the teacher is the dean of the honors college at the University of Oklahoma. He received a BA cum laude from Yale (1967), and his MA and PhD from Stanford (1969, 1978) in political science. He was army from 69-71. He then taught at Boston college and Georgia tech and now teaches here. He has a good relationship with some of the former agents here on campus and with the president of our university who i believe was the longest sitting member on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
Those are interesting qualifications.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:40   #66
oksooner
Asset

Quote:
Those are interesting qualifications.
Cant tell if thats sarcasm or not.

"His publications have appeared in American Political Science Review, Journal of Politics, Western Political Quarterly, American Journal of Political Science, and Inter-American Studies and World Affairs. A book chapter has appeared in Massachusetts State Government. Current teaching and research interests include policy-making in the American states, Congressional oversight of U.S. intelligence agencies, U.S. foreign policy toward diverse Islamic societies, the politics of U.S. economic policy, and socioeconomic change in the less developed countries." (from OU honors college website).

Obviously i dont know if he was an agent or not, but i do know he is very knowledgeable and connected in what he teaches.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:46   #67
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Cant tell if thats sarcasm or not.

"His publications have appeared in American Political Science Review, Journal of Politics, Western Political Quarterly, American Journal of Political Science, and Inter-American Studies and World Affairs. A book chapter has appeared in Massachusetts State Government. Current teaching and research interests include policy-making in the American states, Congressional oversight of U.S. intelligence agencies, U.S. foreign policy toward diverse Islamic societies, the politics of U.S. economic policy, and socioeconomic change in the less developed countries." (from OU honors college website).

Obviously i dont know if he was an agent or not, but i do know he is very knowledgeable and connected in what he teaches.
If I'm being sarcastic, I'll use pink. Unless I forget.

The qualifications are interesting, because they lend validity to your original statement.

It's easier for me to understand an opinion when I know whether it's based on substantive conjecture or is just typical college professor liberal bullshit.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47   #68
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Pink font = Sarcasm. Read and learn, grasshopper.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51   #69
oksooner
Asset

Quote:
If I'm being sarcastic, I'll use pink. Unless I forget.

The qualifications are interesting, because they lend validity to your original statement.

It's easier for me to understand an opinion when I know whether it's based on substantive conjecture or is just typical college professor liberal bullshit.
Ahh, yea i figured someone would bring up the point of typical college professor liberal bullshit, i hate it just as much as yall do. But this is actually one of the most interesting classes ive ever taken and OU is a surprisingly good university to be at if your interested in the intelligence community.

@ZonieDiver

yea i just realized that, grasshopper is learning

Old 02-25-2011, 11:46   #70
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
typical college professor liberal bullshit.
Every time I use that phrase my word-processing software asks me if I want to "Delete Repeated Word(s)"...

Funny how that works

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 16:32   #71
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Ahh, yea i figured someone would bring up the point of typical college professor liberal bullshit, i hate it just as much as yall do. But this is actually one of the most interesting classes ive ever taken and OU is a surprisingly good university to be at if your interested in the intelligence community.
Can I vote? I don't personally know Dr. Ray but I call BS as he seems like a strap hanger. Seems like he's just an academic (not that there's anything wrong with that) and his bio accounts for all but 4 years at univeristy. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever been associated with CIA that call themselves or their coworker "Agents". Check out their unclass web: jobs end in officer. It's like that for a reason. Anyone who's familiar with the "biz" knows this and respects it.

If you're interested in an education in intel, you aren't going to get it in any school. You have to hit streets, field, mountains, desert, etc. That's pretty much the reason overseas experience (study abroad) is MANDATED with the David Boren scholarships by NSEP.

Oh, by the way oksooner, I graduated HS in Leflore County. Go Cowboys!

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 17:21   #72
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Go Cowboys!
You were doing fine until then.
Old 02-25-2011, 17:47   #73
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
You were doing fine until then.
My friends tell me stories of a weekend spent up in Fayetteville, AR meeting the student bodies (I'm not 100% sure I'm allowed back there though). I remember driving through thinking "this is a nice town".

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 18:48   #74
oksooner
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Can I vote? I don't personally know Dr. Ray but I call BS as he seems like a strap hanger. Seems like he's just an academic (not that there's anything wrong with that) and his bio accounts for all but 4 years at univeristy. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever been associated with CIA that call themselves or their coworker "Agents". Check out their unclass web: jobs end in officer. It's like that for a reason. Anyone who's familiar with the "biz" knows this and respects it.

If you're interested in an education in intel, you aren't going to get it in any school. You have to hit streets, field, mountains, desert, etc. That's pretty much the reason overseas experience (study abroad) is MANDATED with the David Boren scholarships by NSEP.

Oh, by the way oksooner, I graduated HS in Leflore County. Go Cowboys!
Dr. Ray is mostly academic from what i know, however i do know he is friends with former intel professionals (some here on campus) and knows more about the intelligence community than i could ever hope to know. The man is very well informed.

Yes you are correct about the CIA not calling themselves agents, thats just me forgetting that and stupidly saying it because its been drilled into my head from hollywood . The intelligence sources recruited overseas are known as agents however.

Trust me ive spent hours reading on the unclass website of the CIA and other intel agencies. My major does require studying abroad and i did talk to an Officer in Residence from the CIA here on campus and he says im on the right track going to college and developing a major and working on foreign language and studiny abroad, so im not to eager to just go "hit the streets."

EDIT: Im terribly sorry your a cowboys fan :P, Boomer Sooner!

Old 03-03-2011, 20:01   #75
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Dr. Ray is mostly academic from what i know, however i do know he is friends with former intel professionals (some here on campus) and knows more about the intelligence community than i could ever hope to know. The man is very well informed.

Yes you are correct about the CIA not calling themselves agents, thats just me forgetting that and stupidly saying it because its been drilled into my head from hollywood . The intelligence sources recruited overseas are known as agents however.

Trust me ive spent hours reading on the unclass website of the CIA and other intel agencies. My major does require studying abroad and i did talk to an Officer in Residence from the CIA here on campus and he says im on the right track going to college and developing a major and working on foreign language and studiny abroad, so im not to eager to just go "hit the streets."

EDIT: Im terribly sorry your a cowboys fan :P, Boomer Sooner!
Does your major require capitalization and punctuation, or is that only at OSU?