Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 06-23-2010, 14:17   #61
Herdbull
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainStorm View Post
We have a long history of fighting generals who were politically challenged. General McChrystal does not seem to be one of them. I choose to believe that he is being sly like a fox. His endgame is beyond my powers of prediction.
Coincidentally, I am about 50 pages from the end of Hazardous Duty by John Singlaub. I can not help but think of the similarities between Carter/Singlaub and Obama/McChrystal.

Last edited by Herdbull; 06-23-2010 at 14:17. Reason: spelling
Herdbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 15:07   #62
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Now that the general has been officially fired, he will probably become an effing 'Rock Star'( I have to give credit for that term to a guy on Hugh Hewitt yesterday). He should hire an agent for book deals, speeches, talk shows. If I owned a radio or TV network, I would offer him his own show...

Last edited by mark46th; 06-23-2010 at 15:09.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 15:17   #63
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Presidents, Kings, Dictators, etc. frequently think they know more than their generals where warfare is concerned.
History is full of examples
You mean like Washington, Jackson, Harrison, Taylor, Grant, and Eisenhower?

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 15:38   #64
Richard
Quiet Professional

And so it goes...

Prime Minister David Cameron says a British general is temporarily taking charge of NATO-led forces in Afghanistan following the ouster of American Gen. Stanley McChrystal.

President Barack Obama accepted McChrystal's resignation Wednesday and nominated Gen. David Petraeus to replace him.

The prime minister said the British deputy commander of ISAF, Lt. Gen. Nick Parker, has assumed command "pending Gen. Petraeus's confirmation by Congress."

In a statement, the prime minister's office said Cameron had spoken to Parker on Wednesday and the general had told him that the mission in Afghanistan "would not miss a beat" during this period.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/a...hooModule_News

Lieutenant General Nick Parker was commissioned in 1973. After early service in the Infantry he commanded the 2nd Battalion the Royal Green Jackets from 1994-1995.

His staff training includes the Army Staff Course in 1986 and the Higher Command and Staff Course in 1996. He has held two staff appointments in the Ministry of Defence. He commanded 20th Armoured Brigade from 1997 to 1999, this included some time in Bosnia, and he was GOC 2nd Division and Governor of Edinburgh Castle from 2002-2004. He has been both the Deputy Commandant (1999-2001) and the Commandant of the Joint Staff College (2004-2005).

Recent operational tours include the commander of UK Joint Task Force and advisor to the President of Sierra Leone in 2001 and Deputy Commanding General (UK) Multi-National Corps Iraq from August 2005 to February 2006. He took over as GOC Northern Ireland in July 2006, UK Commander Regional Forces in August 2007 and took over as Deputy Commander ISAF in November 2009.

http://www.isaf.nato.int/en/about-is...ck-parker.html

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 06-23-2010, 17:27   #65
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
In a statement, the prime minister's office said Cameron had spoken to Parker on Wednesday and the general had told him that the mission in Afghanistan "would not miss a beat" during this period.
Yes. Should be up to speed in a nosh old chap.

Organizing a brilliant unit right now to run the blighters back into their Wog holes. I say, what about a name? Col. Smythe-Carruthers had an idea over a glass of Port last evening in the Officer's mess.

"The Light Brigade", was his suggestion. "Simply Wizard, Reggie", Said I.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 18:18   #66
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

I wish the news media wasn't so quick to confuse his departure with dishonor. It would be hard to find a Commander with a longer list of HV targets serviced / secured. We will never know exactly how many of our worst enemies rot in prison cells or shallow graves because a unit led by General McChrystal placed them there.

He deserves a monument.

Barn Owl

Iraqi Police Sergeant: "But I have a pickaxe."
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 18:41   #67
Richard
Quiet Professional

Ye olde adage - "One ah-s**t =..."

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02

Old 06-23-2010, 19:21   #68
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

I've never typed in "pink" for sarcasm here so pretend it's being done now.

The good news is Rolling Stone magazine has saved the world from an out of control United States military by conducting a thorough in depth investigation into the actions of the wild cowboy General McChrystal.

My prediction is (turn the pink off now) Rolling Stone will get a Pulitzer prize for this piece of work and the award will be presented in the White House at a large gala event.

Those for whom everything is provided have the luxury of condemning those who provide, White House included.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 19:36   #69
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Presidents, Kings, Dictators, etc. frequently think they know more than their generals where warfare is concerned.
History is full of examples
Yes - but throughout history - probably only a small fraction of Battle Generals had it right; most had it wrong, persistently wrong. If and when they succeeded, it was just as likely because the other guy ran out of beans, bullets or boots on the ground first.

The fact that eventually a General comes along that “has it all figured out” and wins the battle and wins the war, is because the lessor ones before him kept getting relieved. Is this another case of that – don’t know? But thanks to Stan’s mouth, it doesn’t matter. He has regulated himself to languish in history’s slag heap – soon to be just barely remembered, or not remembered at all. Unless…………………….
Old 06-23-2010, 19:59   #70
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
Looks like Stan is out of a job...Dave Petraus is going to run AFG.
Who replaces Petraeus at CENTCOM, now that he is effectively being demoted?

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 21:01   #71
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
You noticed that too, huh?
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 21:18   #72
Richard
Quiet Professional

Statement by General Stanley McChrystal

This morning the President accepted my resignation as Commander of U.S. and NATO Coalition Forces in Afghanistan. I strongly support the President’s strategy in Afghanistan and am deeply committed to our coalition forces, our partner nations, and the Afghan people. It was out of respect for this commitment -- and a desire to see the mission succeed -- that I tendered my resignation.

It has been my privilege and honor to lead our nation’s finest.

http://www.defense.gov/Blog_files/Bl...McChrystal.pdf

Quote:
I would think it's situational for the short term - Petraeus has a good DCINC at CENTCOM and, therefore, might wear both hats for awhile until a more definitive solution is arrived at here. As for the long term...

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02

Old 06-23-2010, 21:39   #73
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I read somewhere that Petreaus will not be wearing two hats.
Can't find the source now.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:52   #74
afchic
Area Commander

Being overseas with a foreign military while all of this has been going on is quite enlightening and reminds me of why I am so greatful to be an American. More time was spent today discussing this with O5, O6 and a couple of O7s Than our mission at hand and brought to light why we are such a great country.

Yes a mistake was made and a high ranking officer was fired. But no one died because of it. There will not be a power vacuum because of it and the general is free to live out his life however he chooses. That could mean taking his show on the road or living quietly and not discussing the issue ever again. Either way he has the freedom to do as he pleases without worrying about his life expectancy or that of his family.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:05   #75
JAGO
"The Quiet Counsel"

...and the RS reporter (Hastings) is out there trolling for his next "take down" in Afghanistan. Hopefully everyone is forwarned.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/0...ington+Wire%29

v/r
phil
JAGO is offline   Reply With Quote