Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 07-15-2010, 12:36   #46
Ewok
Asset

Thank you for posting this video. I made myself watch this but much like armymom, I had to stop, get it together and start again.
That was quite possibly one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. I don't advocate unnecessarily exposing people to gruesome violence but maybe if more people crawled out from under their rocks and saw things like that, it would change the opinions of the masses.
Old 07-15-2010, 17:48   #47
Blender
Asset

I was on the Hostage Working Group in Baghdad. I watched a lot of these videos. Indeed there is a part of your soul that is sacrificed when doing this work. That video is among one of the more disturbing ones because of the age of the executioner, but I still think the worst are the ones of children being beheaded.

The most disturbing thing about most of them is the way the hostages would just sit still and allow the beheading to happen. I talked to our psych doc (the one that handled the detainees), he said it was because people's brains could not process what was going on. He said what was going through their heads when it happened was simply "this isn't really happening". That was their last thought.

I think that inability to mentally process that level of brutality is a telescoping issue. When I watched the videos at first I remember thinking "This doesn't look real." It looked like a badly made horror movie, because that is the only scenario in which we could accept the idea that men will cut other men's heads off. But the more I watched them and the more I knew the people of that culture, the more realistic the videos were.

The next level of the telescoping issue is organizational. I found it very hard to get support and resources for hostage rescue unless it was a US citizen. The hostage taking was having a profound effect of the area because of the fear it inspired, especially once it became a growth industry for criminals to get money as well as for ideological and political gain. The beheading of children became increasingly common. We had hundreds of videos of men, women and children kneeling on concrete floors and dirt roads. Still nobody wanted to acknowledge hostage taking and beheadings as a serious problem.

These videos are made on a daily basis and yet you NEVER see them in the news. The West is sitting still on it's knees as Islam holds a machete to our throats.

This IS happening.

Last edited by Blender; 07-15-2010 at 17:50.
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 19:42   #48
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

I just posted this on an Irish Military Site..I think everyone should know what these are capable of all in the name of their fucked up religion!..

I think anyone in the west who considers islam a "peacefull" religion should be forced to watch this over and over! No Parent should let their Child see this let alone do it!
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:41   #49
JF86
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I talked to our psych doc (the one that handled the detainees), he said it was because people's brains could not process what was going on. He said what was going through their heads when it happened was simply "this isn't really happening". That was their last thought.

... This IS happening.

As I watched this video this was the thought running through my head! "I'm not seeing this, this isn't happening" I took it in and reflected on it. I have seen some fairly gruesome things before growing up on a ranch and farm along the lines of horses and livestock, as well as other videos online but I have to admit this got to me.

I would like to second what others on here have said by saying that we should stick to our Faith and our ideals. Because if we alter those to fix a certain problem we are facing then in essence we change who we are. I'm not talking about ROE but how we treat human beings in general.

Thank you Wet Dog for your amazing words earlier.
Thank you WM for your passion that brought us this link.

God Bless
JF86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52   #50
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I still think the worst are the ones of children being beheaded.

It looked like a badly made horror movie, because that is the only scenario in which we could accept the idea that men will cut other men's heads off. But the more I watched them and the more I knew the people of that culture, the more realistic the videos were.

Nobody wanted to acknowledge hostage taking and beheadings as a serious problem.

These videos are made on a daily basis and yet you NEVER see them in the news. The West is sitting still on it's knees as Islam holds a machete to our throats.

This IS happening.
Blender, you sum up so much so well. I agree with it all. People can't process brutality. They'd rather pretend it doesn't exist than confront the situation.

In '06, we pushed into a no-go neighborhood and found beheader CDs where crowds of hundreds, even thousands, watched AQ behead kids in their early teens. Many of the people shouting had the same blank look in their eyes as the hostages.

I think most people, whether American citizens or native bystanders, lack the emotional strength to confront true brutality. It's very hard to look the monster in the face, and that's why atrocity is such an effective tool for keeping others in line.

Barn Owl

PS By pure chance, we got one of the beheaders, his superior, and their PSD in an airstrike about a month later. That post-strike analysis was the most satisfying thing I've ever put to paper.

Iraqi Police Sergeant: "But I have a pickaxe."
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19   #51
Richard
Quiet Professional

Remember - it's a big world of beheading out there - ain't just an Islamic fundi thing - it's a 'terrorist propaganda' and 'criminal' and 'theological fundi' thing - always has been.

Here are just a few examples:

Mexico’s Calderon Says Beheadings Signal Cartels’ Desperation

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ayhqQSwsN5_s

Kenyan police arrest members of sect blamed for murders

http://wwrn.org/articles/26680/

Mine turned into bottomless pit of death

http://mafiatoday.com/general-breaki...-pit-of-death/

Beheadings On the Rise in Bulawayo During World Cup

http://allafrica.com/stories/201007020481.html

'Gang behind' Togo's beheadings

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7017939.stm

Beheadings In Guatemalan Jail Riot

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=81d_1227460742

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06   #52
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Remember - it's a big world of beheading out there - ain't just an Islamic fundi thing
With respect, in this case, it is 'just an Islamic Fundi Thing.' There's a giant gap between beheading a child in public, in daylight, in front of a crowd on videotape and the examples on your list.

Superstitious Beheading in Africa: Victims were killed in secret because their heads contained magical power = their heads had financial value. Fatal robbery, pure and simple. If the local shaman wanted toes instead of heads, we would be reading about survivors with missing toes, instead of corpses missing heads. The actual act of decapitation has no significance to anyone but the victim. The suffering of the victim does not further the perp's agenda and it is not aimed at the local population. The whole event is supposed to be secret because the participants, however backwards, acknowledge that what they are doing is bad.

Turf Beheading in African Slum / South American Prison: Hard to use the term victim here. Violent felons behead a gang leader in a place where local authority permits crime and violence. The perp and the victim could trade places and the story would read exactly the same. They selected one another as targets in a kill-or-be-killed struggle for turf. Decapitation has significance to the victim, who merited a special death because he was a prominent, dangerous adversary. His suffering is aimed at other violent felons in the slum or prison, to protect the perp from retaliation. It has no significance to people outside the slum/prison who are not members of MS-13 or Munginka or whatever gang.

Cartel Turf Beheading in Mexico: Getting warmer, but we're still dealing with rational actors. Beheading to increase market share and lower operating costs. Victim decapitated to frighten local civilians, law enforcement, or a rival gangs. The deed is still done in the dark. Victim's death has signifiance, but not his suffering ... the perps want to avoid witnesses, not create them, and decapitations are aimed at specific local groups, a courthouse, a police squad, a neighborhood, etc. Thevictim likely violated a specific, well-known rule... accept bribes, don't snitch, don't cooperate with rival gangs, don't violate turf boundaries. The target was specifically selected for something they did.

Mujahideen Beheading of Children or by Children: The target and perp were selected for their significance to witnesses. Decapitation done in daylight and on videotape to increase the number of witnesses. The violence is an assault on the minds of the witnesses as much as it is an attack on the life of the victim, and in this case, on the innocence of the perp. Where the cartel's message is "Stay out of our business" the Mujahideen message is "Get into my business/Participate in my violence." Children are involved because their presence works greater emotional violence and conveys a greater threat to anyone who watches. The tape will be sent beyond the borders of the town or state as a deliberate threat to people these specific mujahideen will never meet.

Perps from the other three examples would likely object to the Muj beheading. The Prison and Slum gangs limit their deliberate violence to other gang members and to people who directly interact with their gang. If kids or bystanders die, they are collateral damage, and their suffering is downplayed. Prison and slum gangs avoid responsibility for bystanders whenver possible because the bystanders often represent neighbors, family members, or even clients. Even the African shaman would object to the Muj beheading, if only because the Muj aren't motivated by robbery, and they don't perform any incantations over the severed head.

So, simple version, because the Muj target selection process deliberately picks soft, innocent targets, because the actual perp derives no material benefit from the violence, because they use the suffering of the vic as a form of violence against witnesses, and because they intentionally increase the number of witnesses beyond the local boundary of their community, I believe they commit a different, far more severe crime than the people in these other examples.

Barn Owl

Last edited by Barn Owl; 07-29-2010 at 09:13.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15   #53
Richard
Quiet Professional

Interesting - but I fail to see how your lengthy argument refutes the point that "it's a big world of beheading out there - ain't just an Islamic fundi thing - it's a 'terrorist propaganda' and 'criminal' and 'theological fundi' thing - always has been."

Perhaps I should also point out that I did choose to leave out the use of beheading as a form of 'legal punishment' by a recognized government as it was of no importance to the thesis.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50   #54
Barn Owl
SF Candidate

Deleted.

Barn Owl

Old 07-29-2010, 13:37   #55
bubblehead
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Army01 View Post
I think anyone in the west who considers islam a "peacefull" religion..
There is a difference between Radical Islam and Islam.

Last edited by bubblehead; 07-29-2010 at 13:50.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 18:22   #56
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
There is a difference between Radical Islam and Islam.
Can you explain the difference between orthodox Islam and Radical Islam that does not teach warfare against unbelievers and their subjugation under Islamic law ?

I would sincerely like to know how the radicals are violating the tenets of their faith, and how they are not following the example of their exemplary prophet, Muhammad ?

Edited to add:

The Objectives of Jihad

o9.0
(O: Jihad means to war against non-Muslims, and is etymologically derived from the word mujahada, signifying warfare to establish the religion.

o9.1 Jihad is a communal obligation (def: c3.2). When enough people perform it to successfully accomplish it, it is no longer obligatory upon others.

o9.6 It is offensive to conduct a military expedition against hostile non-Muslims without the Caliph’s permission (A: though if there is no Caliph (def: o25), no permission is required.
(The Reliance of the Traveler. Pgs 599-609)

Quote:
Islam is the only major world religion today that is cited by both state and non-state actors to legitimize beheadings. And two major aspects of decapitation in an Islamic context should be noted: first, the practice has both Qur'anic and historical sanction. It is not the product of a fabricated tradition. Second, in contradiction to the assertions of apologists, both Muslim and non-Muslim, these beheadings are not simply a brutal method of drawing attention to the Islamist political agenda and weakening opponents' will to fight. Zarqawi and other Islamists who practice decapitation believe that God has ordained them to obliterate their enemies in this manner. Islam is, for this determined minority of Muslims, anything but a "religion of peace." It is, rather, a religion of the sword with the blade forever at the throat of the unbeliever.
Source > http://www.meforum.org/713/beheading...-name-of-islam

Last edited by T-Rock; 07-29-2010 at 18:36.
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 20:28   #57
Richard
Quiet Professional

Yep - somebody needs to take it upon themselves to write a New Testament to the Quran so Islam can then push through their own version of the Reformation and quit selling suicide bomber indulgences and we can all move on to the 11th Commandment - Thou shalt leave everyone else the hell alone.

Until then - and so it goes...

Richard's $.02

Old 07-29-2010, 20:39   #58
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
Thou shalt leave everyone else the hell alone.
I like it although I disagree, it should be the first Commandment
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 20:44   #59
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I like it although I disagree, it should be the first Commandment
Yeah - but, unfortunately, the first one is already taken - and it's a real trouble maker.

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02