Old 08-06-2009, 14:25   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Iran - CIA Spy Speaks Out

May be of interest to some...I hope.

Richard's $.02

Quote:
As A CIA Spy, I Saw In Iran What The West Cannot Ignore
We must defend freedom in Iran soon – or deal with nuclear-armed fanatics later.
CSM, 5 Aug 2009

Today the West must make one of the most important decisions of our era. Will we defend what remains of democracy and freedom in Iran, or will we succumb to Tehran's murderous government?

It's a question that goes to the heart of our own security. Iran is a thugocracy of Islamic mullahs, and it will soon have nuclear arms. Any misconception about the intentions of fanatics with nuclear bombs will have grave consequences.

I know because I spent years alongside them as a CIA spy working under cover in Iran's Revolutionary Guards starting in the 1980s.

The Guards Corps was set up as a check on the regular Army and to serve and secure the Islamic revolution. Thirty years of Western appeasement hasn't stopped them from terrorizing the West – or Iranians. Today, with Tehran's leaders caught in a power struggle over the June 12 election and the legitimacy of the regime, the Guards, led by zealots, are calling the shots.

The Guards – and the hardliner clerics they protect – are vulnerable, however. This summer's grass-roots uprising has put them on the defensive. A strong Western hand now could tip the balance.

We don't have a moment to lose. If we can't upend the Guards now, how can we do so once they have nuclear bombs?

Washington could lead the way by refusing to recognize President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who earlier today took the oath of office for his second, four-year term. Instead, the United States should demand the freedom – and the freedom of speech – for all who've been arrested and tortured in recent weeks. And we should toughen sanctions to include cutting off Iran's gasoline supplies.

The people of Iran are desperate for a show of support from the West. By standing with them, we can uphold our duty to defend democracy and take a stand for the security of the free world.

Such a stand would mark a radical policy change. For the past 30 years, the West has tried very hard to appease Iran's mullahs.

In the 1980s, I helped make known a secret pact between Iranian mullahs and some European governments. Thirsty for Iranian oil, the Europeans gave the go-ahead to Iranian agents to assassinate opposition members abroad without interference, as long as European citizens were not at risk. Hundreds of dissidents were gunned down.

The US has also been guilty of trying to appease the mullahs. Almost every administration after the 1979 Iranian Revolution has tried in vain to create better relations through back channels. Yet those efforts haven't stopped Iran's rulers from arming terrorists, taking hostages, and suppressing their own people.

The brutal killing of Iranians by their leaders that we're seeing today is nothing new. Ruling clerics have been killing political opponents, along with their families and friends, for 30 years – but inside prison walls.

I've been inside those walls and I've seen teenage girls who were raped before execution so they were no longer virgins and therefore, according to their Islamic beliefs, couldn't go to heaven. I've seen hundreds hung on cranes. I've seen women and men lined up in front of firing squads after being severely tortured; their families would be forced to pay for the cost of the bullets. Western officials were quite aware that this was happening, but they let their thirst for oil blind them.

Today, however, the screams of Iranians young and old calling for democracy and freedom cannot be ignored. The post-election uprising has started the countdown of the end of the thugocracy in Iran. This is the desire of the Iranian people. It should be our desire, too.

So far, the West has kept fairly quiet about Iran's unrest. President Obama and others say they don't want to give credence to Tehran's claims of a Western conspiracy behind the protests. And by not ruffling the regime's feathers, they hope to negotiate improved ties and resolve the nuclear impasse.

But how do you negotiate with a government composed of terrorists?

Right now, the Revolutionary Guards have near-complete control of Iran. This terrorist organization is expanding its power throughout the Middle East. Its ultimate goal is to bring the demise of the West.

With the help of North Korea, the Guards are working on long-range ballistic missiles in tests that are concealed by their space project.

The Guards have also accelerated their production of Sejil, solid fuel missiles, and are working nonstop to improve the range of those missiles. Today they can strike Tel Aviv, Riyadh, US bases in Iraq, and the US Navy's Fifth Fleet headquarters in Bahrain. Their goal is to be able to target all of Europe.

The Guards are also working on their nuclear bomb project in facilities unknown to the West.

Iran's defense minister, Mostafa Najjar, who oversees the development of missile and nuclear technology, was in charge of the Revolutionary Guards forces in Lebanon that facilitated the attack on the Marine Corps barracks in Beirut on Oct. 23, 1983, killing 241 US servicemen.

The current deputy defense minister, Ahmad Vahidi, who oversees the distribution of arms and missiles to terrorist groups such as Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, and Hamas, was the commander of the Guards' elite Quds Forces and the chief intelligence officer of the Guards in charge of the terrorist activities outside of Iran.

Mr. Vahidi is currently on Interpol's Most Wanted List for the attack on the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires on July 18, 1994 that killed 85 and injured more than 100.

Many Iranian officials have Interpol arrest warrants, and even supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei has been recognized in courts as one who has ordered such acts.

Fanatic radicals such as these are incompatible with a free Iran. This is the best opportunity in 30 years to change course and stop succumbing to thugs. Will we seize it?

"Reza Kahlili" is a pseudonym for an ex-CIA spy who requires anonymity for safety reasons. He is writing a book about his life and experiences as a CIA agent in Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0805/p09s01-coop.html
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 15:07   #2
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Fanatic radicals such as these are incompatible with a free Iran. This is the best opportunity in 30 years to change course and stop succumbing to thugs. Will we seize it?
I wish I knew how to seize the moment. It makes me pessimistic that I cannot.
Old 08-06-2009, 15:41   #3
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Will we seize it?
There is no WE in Obama.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 15:54   #4
21BravoInDaSand
Asset

There's a liberal in office...what do you think "America" is going to do? Probably downsize our military & get extorted by their government.

~The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.
-Thucydides

~The one constant that will never change is the caliber, professionalism, and expertise of the SF soldier.
-Colonel Jack Maroney
21BravoInDaSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 16:08   #5
Bloodseed
Asset

Reza Kahlili

I purchased his book titled A Time to Betray, a few weeks ago. I saw it once before that a couple of weeks before i gave into temptation and purchased it. I at first resisted not knowing if it was legit, there seemed much room for him to lie in it since he used a fake name. Has anyone read this book yet? From my search results I have not been able to find anyone saying they have read it. This is the first time I have not had successful results with the search function otherwise I would not have posted, this will not become a habit.
Bloodseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:05   #6
Penn
Area Commander

A recent thread mentioned that Afghanistan was of little importance; I am uncertain that this is correct, but it would appear that Afghanistan may be a counter weight to Iran. The attached article surprised me.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LeftCarousel_1

IA comment by Eric Blehm

Quote:
This entire relationship between the current CIA Chief and Karzai are detailed in my book: The Only Thing Worth Dying For, (HarperCollins, 2010) which was a WSJ bestseller a couple months back. I interviewed the Special Forces Team extensively that was there with Karzai and the station chief (known as "Casper" in my book) back in November and December of 2001. A couple of corrections to the article above. First, the station chief himself would not credit himself as "saving Karzai's life." He threw himself onto Karzai AFTER an errant 2000 pound JDAM bomb hit an observation post, and imploding the windows of the building Karzai was inside, nearby. Karzai was nicked on the face with a piece of glass. The station chief's reaction was spontaneous, and appropriate, but hardly saved Karzai's life. The other correction is your mention of the JDAM bomb hitting the American's and Karzai's afghan rebels position occurring as a result of the "chaos" of the battle. There was no chaos that December 5th morning. In fact, there had not been a bullet fired for almost fourteen hours when an overseeing, and recently arrived "staff" of Special Forces soldiers began directing bombs at a hillside cave that might, or might not have held enemy forces. It was a peaceful morning, and the men of Operational Detachment Alpha (the team that had been fighting with Karzai since November 14th, and were supposed to be executing any combat operations on the ground) were opening their first mail drop from home when their superiors came in and started dropping bombs, while Karzai was waiting for an expected surrender delegation from the Taliban. Three Americans and more than 50 Afghans were killed in a flash, and every member of ODA 574 was either killed or wounded... The truth behind this story, again, is explained fully from the perspective of the men who were there on the ground in The Only Thing Worth Dying For. No second hand reporting, just eye witness accounts. The station chief that day along with his CIA team, and various SF medics saved many American and Afghan lives. Incidentally, General Mattis, who is now the head of CENTCOM was the nearest American Officer in a position to respond to the urgent request for medevac, but he refused, stating that the situation was too precarious to commit his forces to. Meanwhile his Marines were livid and wanted to respond to the situation. Instead, an Air force quick reaction force flew almost two hours, from Pakistan to pull out the dead, dying, and wounded, and dropped them off at Camp Rhino where Mattis eventually agreed to send his men to help, about four hours too late. Mattis now holds one of the highest ranks in the Marine Corps, and the officers in charge of authorizing the bomb that day have all been promoted and decorated. The men of ODA 574, who did the fighting on the ground, and accomplished their mission all had their medal requests downgraded from Silver to Bronze Stars. See www.onlythingworthdyingfor.com for more info on the early days after 9/11 in Afghanistan, and the missions that set the stage for Afghanistan. Good or bad, this is how it went down.

Last edited by Penn; 09-18-2010 at 06:15.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...but it would appear that Afghanistan may be a counter weight to Iran.
Or something...some interesting thoughts on the issue:

Obama Offers Iran An Opening On Engagement
WaPo, 5 Aug 2010
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080406238.html

The U.S. should Test Iran's Resolve To Stabilize Afghanistan
WaPo, 17 Sep 2010
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091606067.html

I was listening to the following yesterday while outside working in my yard - an interesting program.

The Taliban in Afghanistan threatens to disrupt parliamentary elections. Iran releases an American hiker. And Palestinian leader Abbas affirms continuing peace talks.
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...roundup-hour-2

And one has to wonder just what might theocratic Iran be seeking from such an arrangement?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 17:35   #8
trvlr
Quiet Professional

This and other democracy police endeavors

I'm of the mind currently that I don't care about democracy in other places. America is so messed up right now that we need to try to "seize the opportunity" here by paying attention, voting, and helping our own communities. Is now really the time to spend hundreds of millions of dollars we don't have trying to bring Iran back to the 70s when we can't afford to get American kids the education that they deserve? I see a lot of attacks on the POTUS regarding his lack of force with Iran, but as a registered independent this is one of the things I like the most. Why do the same people that "hate his spending" get angry when he doesn't spend money and (more importantly) American lives where they want him to.
trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50   #9
Tyzoone
Asset

Writers intention

trvlr,
I think all parties agree that the fiscal obstinance in our government is intolerable.

I personally interpret the writers article as stating that if no timely action is taken against this thugocracy then more innocent (no doubt American) lives will be lost by perhaps nuclear means. I think many of us would go into more debt to save innocents lives from rape, torture and death no matter which nation we belonged to.
Tyzoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39   #10
kawaishi
Asset

ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr View Post
I'm of the mind currently that I don't care about democracy in other places. America is so messed up right now that we need to try to "seize the opportunity" here by paying attention, voting, and helping our own communities. Is now really the time to spend hundreds of millions of dollars we don't have trying to bring Iran back to the 70s when we can't afford to get American kids the education that they deserve? I see a lot of attacks on the POTUS regarding his lack of force with Iran, but as a registered independent this is one of the things I like the most. Why do the same people that "hate his spending" get angry when he doesn't spend money and (more importantly) American lives where they want him to.
So messed up? Please explain that. I know that people are enduring some economic hardships but it's been worse in the past, things will get better, and we will have more hardships in the future. We have an incredible quality of life and wonderful freedoms that are taken for granted. How's this for messed up?
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog...te-liu-xiaobo/

Your community is your responsiblility so what have you done for your community today? If you are making that kind of statement and you are not personally taking action then you are wrong. The President isn't going to come and clean your park or work with your Boy Scouts because that's your job, and his job is to deal with Iran.

We have great opportunities for education in this country. Want a smart American kid well guess what? All the money and computer classrooms you can buy will not make a child more intelligent. It begins and ends at home with you being a parent.

Let me wrap this up the government is not our nanny and it does matter what happens in Iran.

Last edited by kawaishi; 10-16-2010 at 12:34.
kawaishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:53   #11
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaishi View Post
It begins and ends at home with you being a parent.
There is a lot of truth in that.

Quote:
the government is not our nanny.
Hmmmmm. They shouldn't be, yet they (the Government) have taken great steps through legislation to make it so And more and more of the Governed are suckling from the Federal Milk Jug.
Old 10-16-2010, 14:50   #12
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Iran extend its Global influence is the issues

Issue I have had with Iran and seeing their work in local countries is Iran backing Hezbollah. Hezbollah is an Iranian project designed for its export IMO of a revolution on a global scale. Outside of AQ I feel it's fast became the single most dangerous terrorist network, well lets say sponsor terrorism. Just as AQ imports indivduals into Parkistan, the Ayatollahs has been recuriting or importing radical Shia clerics from Lebanon to Iran for theological training. Iran also recruited militants for their projects in the terror nexus for decades - Globally too. Iran has expanded its base inside it's own country, obtained additional funding from outside, and penetrated many countries around the world, from Africa to Latin America. Asia next??

In Afghanistan, Iran's strategists were undeterred by the presence of NATO troops after 2001. With the collapse of the Taliban regime, Tehran infiltrated Afghanistan's Shi'ite Hazara community in the center of the country and provided logistical support to the Taliban insurgency operating there. Evidently the Iranian regime is interested in driving out NATO the U.S.-led effort (ISAF), In the beginning with the weakening Karzai government in Kabul, and carving out its own Iranian influance in the Central Asian country. Tehran's reach in Afghanistan will only increase as Pakistan becomes increasingly unstable, maybe we are entering this point now.

Over the past few years, Tehran subversive activities have exspaned in the Arabian Peninsula. Then in Yemen, Iran has reached out to the majority-Sunni Yemen. Pasdaran's networks have hooked up with the Houthis, who are waging an armed insurrection in the northern tip of the Yemen with Iranian backing - state sponsor terrorism again. Yemeni President Ali Abdallah Saleh has accused Iran and Hezbollah of training the insurgents, who have battled government forces and attacked Saudi positions across the border. Last year, the Iran and Hezbollah had nearly established a military enclave in the southern corner of the Arabian Peninsula within Yemen and threatening Saudi Arabia and its most sensitive province, the Hejaz, home to Islam's holiest shrines Mecca and Medina. Iran and Hezbollah looking to control Islam's holiest shrines?

Iran and Hezbollah operating in North Africa? North Africa has been home almost exclusively to Salafi jihadists, it has witnessed increased activity by Tehran's Shi'ite operatives and backing. According to Kingdom of Morocco authorities, Iran has funded religious institutions whose first mission is to convert Sunnis to Shia, in what is coined as "Tashyeeh." Does this sound like what has happen in Pakistan? Does AQ really have the funding in PK now for this? All the money from Opium really backing and supporting operations in Pakistan and Afghanistan? Well back to Africa.. Last year and this year the Kingdom of Morocco, their Rabat government shut down a number of these entities and arrested people involved in them.

Meanwhile, last year in Egypt, Hosni Mubarak's government accused Hezbollah of creating cells inside the country and planning attacks against Egyptian and Western targets. Egypt, the most populous and powerful Arab country with a Sunni majority, many other Iran and Hezbollah back groups and more state sponsor terrorism again. What is really happen in Africa. Back in 2008 and last year, intense contacts between Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's representatives and Eritrean officials culminated in the signing of an agreement granting Iran's navy facilities along the coasts of the Eritrea. This strategically significant development provided the Iran and Khomeinists with hundreds of miles of access in the Red Sea. Israel is thus surrounded by Iranian proxies and the Horn of Africa is under the increasing risk posed by the axis of resistance. But don't we really just hear about AQ in HOA? Nothing really happening in Africa right.. naw nothing happening.

Since Iran's so-called "Islamic revolution," it has undertaken a more sinister intelligence activities throughout world and into Western Europe. Activities within intimidating and occasionally assassinating opposition figures and dissidents to Irans movement. But Tehran's most dangerous presence in Europe comes in the form of active Hezbollah cells in the west. Some will say they are more AQ cell, but do we call them that for Media to report on? Since 9/11, a number of European governments have detected and followed Hezbollah activities on their soil. Arrests have happen and Goverments have tried members of theHezbollah who were planning illegal activities.

Hezbollah and Iran in Latin America? Well as of the early 1990s, Hezbollah had established a presence in the tri-border area between Brazil, Argentinaand Paraguay. Columbia is the drug war area, but this lawless zone enables the Khomeinist and Hezbollah network(s) to develop illegal financial activities and train and plan for terrorist attacks in the region. The 1992 bombing of the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires and the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center there are prime examples of Tehran's terrorist activities and their global reach. Google it. Now the Venezuelan strongman, Chaves, has signed several agreements with Ahmadinejad's regime. IMO the biggest one was last year in April 2009. They signed a defense treaty that provides military and intelligence cooperation between the two countries. Venezuela has granted Hezbollah operatives permission to organize their presence under the protection of Iran's Pasdaran and local intelligence. According to U.S. Department of Defense reports, the Chaves regime provide Iranian units with Spanish language instruction with the aim of inserting them in a Latin American. Do we really need a better broder control here in America? One of the most dangerous aspects of Iran's presence in Venezuela is the increasing ability to install Iranian missiles aimed at the United States and other countries.

So does Iran have a problem and need to be forcused more from the west on internal issues. Khomeinist and Hezbollah networks look more towards a global forcus and should be viewed as a Global Threat. Maybe where the Iranian regime goes, Hezbollah follows.

I think trying to develop internally within Iran is going to be a fusing of the old square peg of on-the-ground realities into the round hole of mandated USG rules and Western Thinking. Something maybe like Afghanistan think..train villages in Shura Processes and forces to the Train villages in Traditional Justice, wait western Justice... Really? Highers think that works.. NATO, ISAF come one. Some great points brought in this article, but to following through with this current Administration. I don't really see it, naw, nope, no way. On the point of the Revolutionary Guards in near-complete control of Iran. Maybe looking at this as the Khomeinist and Hezbollah networks in full control of the country should be better. One in the same, maybe so. These terrorist organizations ARE expanding their power throughout the Middle East to Europe to Latin America. Iran's and Ahmadinejad's regimes ultimate goal is to bring the down of the West - America, UK and Isreal.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 10-16-2010 at 14:53. Reason: Typo
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 19:07   #13
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Cutting Slingload

Quote:

The President isn't going to come and clean your park or work with your Boy Scouts because that's your job, and his job is to deal with Iran.

All the money and computer classrooms you can buy will not make a child more intelligent. It begins and ends at home with you being a parent.

Let me wrap this up the government is not our nanny and it does matter what happens in Iran.

Children are indeed their parent's responsibility. When I have them I will worry about that.

It is my opinion that Iranians need to deal with Iran, and it is your opinion that our executive branch needs to. We will probably never see eye to eye on that so I won't bother expounding on my position.

Communities are more than just parks and Boy Scout Troops.

The biggest problem with our education system today are parents that don't raise their children to respect education, children that are too bullheaded to listen to their parents, and teachers that don't care enough to maintain basic educational standards. What can the government do about that??? Pretty much nothing. What they can do is make sure schools have enough room for students, and books for them to study. That is not the case in many public schools around the country.

Lastly, since you really think we should be dealing with Iran then how many other international problems should we be dealing with? Somalia for instance, poses one of the greatest threats to our national security. Will we ever let other countries handle their own backyards again? We can't try to save everyone. And we need to stop trying to save everyone.
Old 10-17-2010, 19:36   #14
kawaishi
Asset

History is shown that we cannot disengage ourselves from the rest of the world. It is in our own best interest to have a hand in helping nations or organizations that can help promote stability and peace. If we do not have an active role in regional events around the world there are plenty of anti-US factions that will happily fill the void. We're not saving everyone else so much as saving ourselves by helping others.
kawaishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 20:13   #15
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Quote:
History is shown that we cannot disengage ourselves from the rest of the world. It is in our own best interest to have a hand in helping nations or organizations that can help promote stability and peace. If we do not have an active role in regional events around the world there are plenty of anti-US factions that will happily fill the void. We're not saving everyone else so much as saving ourselves by helping others.
Recent history shows that we have spent so much effort projecting power that we've lost our economic hegemony and suffered an education ranking free fall. In the 21st century it's impossible for superpowers to disengage themselves from the rest of the world so you don't have to worry about that.