Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2014, 00:54   #1
Flagg
Area Commander

Physics and Governance

Any governance and/or physics SMEs in the room?

I'm wondering if a worthwhile analogy can be made between developing world governance and physics.

Are we living in a world run by those from the Newtonian/Classical Mechanics School of Governance when we may be in need of shifting to the Einstein General/Special Relativity School?

I've been looking at the definition of a black hole:

"A black hole is a region of spacetime from which gravity prevents anything, including light, from escaping. The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass will deform spacetime to form a black hole. The boundary of the region from which no escape is possible is called the event horizon."

What I'm wondering is:

Are current/future mega ghettos the governance analog to the black holes of physics?

Developing world ghettos achieve critical mass via extreme population density and reach the "governance event horizon" point of no return for the sovereign nation in which the mega ghetto is located.

Kilcullen's book "Out of the Mountains" covers slices of this, using a metabolic/biological systems perspective.

Excessive corruption, combined with insufficient tax base, occurring in a region of extreme population density, leads to a void in sovereign governance that has potential to cascade into a state sovereignty black hole.

Are we(the west's "Newtonian School of Diplomacy and Foreign Policy") failing to recognize the growing effects of "mega ghetto mass" distorting traditional "state sovereignty light"?

And if so, do we need to shift our thinking to more of an Einstein General/Special Relativity School of Diplomacy and Foreign Policy?

I recall some folks concerned about the viability of using a biological/metabolic systems approach to referencing mega ghettos......I guess the physics analogy is a very rough and macro one.

Thoughts?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote