Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 11-03-2008, 07:45   #1
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

AFG: The War Briefing

"The next president of the United States will inherit a foreign policy nightmare: wars on two fronts, an overstretched military, a resurgent Taliban and a reconstituted Al Qaeda based far from America's reach.

"In The War Briefing, award-winning FRONTLINE producer Marcela Gaviria and correspondent Martin Smith offer harrowing on-the-ground reporting from the deadliest battlefield in the mountains of Afghanistan, and follow the trail to the militant safe havens deep inside the Pakistani tribal areas, probing some of the most urgent foreign policy challenges facing the next president. "

Watch it here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...briefing/view/
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:33   #2
RT AXE 10
Quiet Professional

[QUOTE=Warrior-Mentor;233190]"The next president of the United States will inherit a foreign policy nightmare: wars on two fronts, an overstretched military, a resurgent Taliban and a reconstituted Al Qaeda based far from America's reach.

True. For America, It's a self inflicted wound... We must climb that ladder, but with both legs tied together and one arm carrying a five gallon water container... Thanks to politics.

Axe,
Make it tough for the enemey to get in and you can't get out.(Murphy's Law)
RT AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT AXE 10 View Post
... We must climb that ladder, but with both legs tied together and one arm carrying a five gallon water container...
Sounds like one of the stations on a "Leadership Reaction Course" to me.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28   #4
RT AXE 10
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Sounds like one of the stations on a "Leadership Reaction Course" to me.

Richard's $.02
LOL... Darn sure does!....OK, lets change it to a rope ladder with missing rungs...

Axe,
Here today, gone tomorrow...
RT AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

WM

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed the PBS show. Do not get them down here.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:12   #6
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional

My wife watched the pres-elect on Barbara Walters and she told me that he basically said we needed to pull all our troops out of Iraq and put them into Afghanistan because we didn't have enough to go on the offensive- instead we've been on the defensive. With his support to going into Pakistan I am a little concerned with his seemingly naive idea for success in A-stan related to getting enough troops to "go on the offensive" against the insurgents there and doing more unilateral strikes into a soveriegn nation that has a shaky grip on power in a country with many fundamentalists and nuclear weapons. I thought the idea in COIN was to build local capacity to do the job (by, with, through) as opposed to flooding an area with tons of conventional types and "going on the offensive". I wonder what Gates thought of the interview- if he's staying.