Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 12-29-2010, 14:42   #61
Razor
Quiet Professional

Are any of you guys familiar with the concept of recovery? Sheesh!
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 15:06   #62
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Are any of you guys familiar with the concept of recovery? Sheesh!

Shhh!

This is part of selection.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 17:02   #63
Wolf07
Asset

It's been a good year of preparation. I still have four years until I can send in my packet, so I'm pacing my progress. No need to break myself prematurely.

I've cut down on distance with my running, but have been doing more interval training. Historically I have done longer distance stuff with half marathon and marathon training being my focus. However, after some re-education, I only run 5 to 6 miles a few days a week, with other cardio on the alternate days, and one total rest day. Running is normally two days of 400 or 800 sprint/run cycling for the distance, and then one good pacing run on the beach, or in the snow, pending what the weather is. One week a month I don't run, just to keep the stress lower on my legs. The pool is good. Not too worried about running, did a 50 miler earlier this year "just because", and it went fine.

My mindset has changed with weightlifting. Been trying to unify my body weight and lifting routines for better effect, and I am happy with the results. My rucking is going good, with 40-60 lb. in the ruck, and carrying a 4 foot 4x4 in my arms. Distances range from 4-16 miles.

Lots of reading, lots of listening. The Bulletproof Mind. Predictably Irrational. Every day I make sure to do something to develop and stretch my mind. Lots of political science journals. Regional Studies, eastern europe and iran in particular.

And still so much to learn...
Old 01-08-2011, 08:28   #64
AJW1986
Asset

Replying as another satisfied follower of "Get Selected".

I've been training IAW with the PT/rucking plan and over two months I am seeing better ruck times, solid APFT scores, and even strength gains in COL Martin's weight-lifting tips. I just started the USAREC workout and am looking to further improve.

I was a devout follower of CrossFit for a couple years, in conjunction with PT and rucking with my unit. But I found that CF didn't address all my fitness needs for the Army, and compounding that with PT I felt I was over-training and not really improving my ruck times and APFT scores.

Ever since incorporating Warrior-Mentor's program and the USAREC workout into my selection preparation, I feel stronger and more confident.
AJW1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 21:19   #65
TimberWolf82
SF Candidate

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I, Send me."

Last edited by TimberWolf82; 01-18-2020 at 22:11.
TimberWolf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:06   #66
CDG
Asset

Following the "Operator Sessions" off of Military Athlete. Once I get closer to actually heading to Selection, I'll order Rob Shaul's Selection Prep Program and follow that.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:02   #67
Highwayman
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG View Post
Following the "Operator Sessions" off of Military Athlete. Once I get closer to actually heading to Selection, I'll order Rob Shaul's Selection Prep Program and follow that.
While I do find great information on the Military Athlete website, I can't find a reason to purchase a membership for one of the prerequisites to receive the Selection Prep Program. It seems to me the information one needs to be successful at SFAS has been presented here already, from folks who have determined what works and what doesn't.

Just my 2 cents though.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 21:05   #68
Kryptek62
Quiet Professional

Leaving tomorrow

Gentlemen,
I leave for SFAS tomorrow. I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the Quite Professionals for the mentorship and guidance this website has provided. I have not posted much because you are the teachers, and time spent reading is better than time spent typing. Thank you again and Godspeed.
Smith
Kryptek62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 21:11   #69
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgsmith View Post
Gentlemen,
I leave for SFAS tomorrow. I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the Quite Professionals for the mentorship and guidance this website has provided. I have not posted much because you are the teachers, and time spent reading is better than time spent typing. Thank you again and Godspeed.
Smith
Remain safe, best to you, let us know how things work out.

Log off- get some rest, its late. Try as you might, falling asleep will remain a challange, learn to relax the brain, allow the body to heal, remain calm, all good things will come to you.

P.s., look out for your brother, do not let a fellow team mate carry a load more than yours.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50   #70
KC120mm
Asset

I’m following the “Get Selected” plan religiously, to include the rope climbs and swimming. I don't listen to music when I ruck or run as there will be no soundtrack playing at selection. Finally, I re-watch “Two weeks in hell” for extra motivation when needed. My SFAD target date is 4 months away, so back to lurking and doing PT.

-Thomas Paine
KC120mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 19:41   #71
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC120mm View Post
as there will be no soundtrack playing at selection.

I thought of every song I could trying to make the pain go away Find that happy place and pray you never find a downed pilot that big in real life
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:00   #72
greyshade
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1632 View Post
I am an 18X waiting to ship in June, I am 8 weeks into my fitness program.

Monday:
APFT Test +Pull Ups
Timed swim ranging from 500M-1000M
Ruck March 16 miles with min. 50+ weight @ max 15 min. pace (4 hours)

Tuesday
Weight lifting at local gym.
Sprint Drills
Weekly PT with recruiter
Krav Maga & Kettle Ball workout at local KM center

Wednesday
(4) sets push-ups with max. rep's in 2 min.
(4) sets sit-ups with max. rep's in 2 min.
(4) sets pull-ups with max. rep's in 2 min.
12 mile run with a 7-8 min. pace

Thursday
Morning: Swiming routine - (3) sets tread water for 20 min. w/ 5 min. breaks. (3) sets 100M swim in full BDU's and boots.

Afternoon: Army Pocket Physical Training Guide - Warm Up: Conditioning Drill 1 & Military Movement Drill. Run 20 min. @ 7 min. pace. Conditioning Drill 2 & 3 + Stretch Drill

Friday
Ruck March 20 miles with min. 65 weight in 5 hours.

Saturday
Core workout at gym + stability training. Bikram Yoga 1 hr. Warm Up: Conditioning Drill 1 & Military Movement Drill. Conditioning Drill 2 & 3 + Stretch Drill

By monthly: Meet with Northeast Ohio Orienteering Club to work on orienteering and map skills.

Sunday
Rest & Recover Day

This is just week 8 of a 16 week program I put together. Since I have a lot more time before I leave for OSUT I will be mixing it up once completed. I just ordered the book "Get Selected" and look forward to getting some additional workout ideas from there. I am new to the crossfit program and looking into that as well.
A 16miler & 20miler in 1 week both w/ +50lbs. That's pretty intense.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15   #73
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshade View Post
A 16miler & 20miler in 1 week both w/ +50lbs. That's pretty intense.
lol Duh.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:03   #74
dogtag
Asset

Question to any Quiet Professional

Hi,

I have been preparing for about a year now for SFAS. I have read numerous material sources such as Get Selected (great reading for preparing the finer things as well such as foot care), Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch and the SFAS pamphlet given out by my recruiter. In addition I have utilized great training resources such as Military Athlete and Cross Fit (supplementary to the cardio I do).

I had a question to any Quiet Professional who deems this thread fit for proper response.

Q: With regards to all physical preparation now, how much will boot, AIT and jump be detrimental to the physical conditioning done prior to entrance? In other words, will all the time between my first day at boot until SOPC have an adverse affect on the conditioning I am doing now?

Hope this is a valid thread

Cheers
dogtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:15   #75
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
Hi,

I have been preparing for about a year now for SFAS. I have read numerous material sources such as Get Selected (great reading for preparing the finer things as well such as foot care), Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch and the SFAS pamphlet given out by my recruiter. In addition I have utilized great training resources such as Military Athlete and Cross Fit (supplementary to the cardio I do).

I had a question to any Quiet Professional who deems this thread fit for proper response.

Q: With regards to all physical preparation now, how much will boot, AIT and jump be detrimental to the physical conditioning done prior to entrance? In other words, will all the time between my first day at boot until SOPC have an adverse affect on the conditioning I am doing now?

Hope this is a valid thread

Cheers
Don't peak.