Old 03-19-2009, 20:31   #16
CoLawman
Area Commander

Just eavesdropping..........what is a DP?
Old 03-19-2009, 21:02   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLawman View Post
Just eavesdropping..........what is a DP?
Displaced Person.

See Lodge Act.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07   #18
RichNH
Asset

Co B, 3rd Bat '73-'75

Hi I was on ODA 322 from '73 to '75. Most of my time there was with Fearless Fernia as the team sgt. But I heard he passed on years ago. Totally lost track of everyone else. The one guy I did keep track of for some time was Dominic Z who I went through the Q course with, and who was sent to the 7th but wound up in the 10th. He was on my team in the 11th too.

Rich Z
RichNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:47   #19
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
71 - 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyY View Post
Just thinking were/are any of you 10th group 71-75? The only one I have heard from or have been in contact with in 30 years was my old team daddy and that was at the Vegas 2004 SFA reunion.
I was there 71-72. Co B ODAs A24 and A21 as the XO with a bunch of other Lieutenants from Group. I remember, LT "King" Gorman, LT Steve (The Body) Embody, and LT Fred Berger.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.

Last edited by UWOA (RIP); 06-07-2013 at 21:42.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48   #20
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Oh, I thought you meant Old alumni.
By `71 I had already been a civilian for a year.
And walking down the hall past the team rooms in Lenggries was like a trip to the UN sometimes.
Or the Tower of Babel.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08   #21
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Oh, I thought you meant Old alumni.
By `71 I had already been a civilian for a year.
And walking down the hall past the team rooms in Lenggries was like a trip to the UN sometimes.
Or the Tower of Babel.
Did you use pack mules to carry/deliver SADMs? LOL.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:56   #22
cat
Asset

ODA 322: 1972 to 1973

RichNH and I probably served together on ODA 322; I was on the team from 72 thru 73 and remember the Team Sgt. very well; he was the real thing.

I originally posted the names that I could recall from those days; since most of them are probably no longer with us. However, I edited this post when I realized that is not done in here.

Never saw or heard from anyone again after I left in 73, anyway; so, wouldn't be able to help you get in touch with any of them.

I apologize for the breach in OPSEC.

-cat-

Last edited by cat; 10-16-2014 at 15:17. Reason: edit
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 22:48   #23
Hognose (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bost1751 View Post
Bear Reinitzer (sp?) was still around in 1980 and a little after. He made E-9. He was perhaps the last of the old 10th Gp DPs.
I can move Julius "Bear" Reinitzer's wear-out date to at least Sep 81. My SOTA team deployed from Devens through Tölz to (IIRC) the Schwäbisch Hall area and we briefed back to the 1st BN staff. I believe CO was Barber and CSM was Reinitzer.

We had this brilliant idea because we had all these shit-hot linguists, to brief back in target language, then English, Gabriel-team style. It seemed like a good idea at a time.

Until Reinitzer began grilling us in German and Czech. The Battalion S4 was an older captain (heh, old, maybe 34!) named Muschamp. They were a great bunch of guys and busted their asses for us. We also discovered that our German linguist, DLI-trained, really sucked at German. The Czech linguists wound up answering his questions because one had been stationed in Germany and one took some years of college German.

Last I knew (perhaps 10 years ago) the Bear was retired in New England and well. He must be well along in years, as he had seen both of the totalitarian empires of the 20th Century first hand.

George Marecek retired in the early 1980s after, IIRC, a Pentagon tour. He later (1990s) was tried several times, and ultimately convicted of murdering his wife and did time in prison in NC. (One thing that sank him was using Keith Idema as a PI). He was released.

Marecek was remembered for confusing "ratholing" with "cornholing," and dealing with bodies ghosting instead of doing details, by demanding that his TLs and TS's "immediately stop cornholing your men!"

He served several Vietnam tours, and received at least one DSC.

Most of those DPs were real fighters. A few of them helped their former countries stand up independent armies, after the fall of the Warsaw Pact. But that's another story.
Hognose (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:45   #24
Stras
Quiet Professional

There are about 10-15 of the "old timers" still living around Bad Tolz. The earliest member was about #25 on the original Group Manifest and site surveyed Bad Tolz for the move in 1952/53. Others served from the mid-50's to early 80's in Tolz and later at Devens.

Herr Havel passed away this last year.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 20:07   #25
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

I got there in '80 and stayed through '83. LTC Roger Seymour was BC, followed by LTC Duane Barber.

IIRC "The Bear" Reinitzer was Bn CSM for all/most of that time.

Morning battalion formation guidance from the CSM:

CSM: "All radiators to goingk to radiator training..."
Me: "WTF did he just say?"
Top: "All Commo NCOs report to MOS refresher training..."

A Great NCO. As were most of them of them back then.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:56   #26
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyY View Post
Just thinking were/are any of you 10th group 71-75? The only one I have heard from or have been in contact with in 30 years was my old team daddy and that was at the Vegas 2004 SFA reunion.
XO ODAs 21 and 24 and CO ODA 13, Co B, 10th SFGA, Ft Devens June 1971- April 72 .... Was basically a filler until a position opened up in 8th SFGA per my VOLINDEF contract ... there were a bunch of us, Fred111 was one also, that had been affected by the Viet Nam down-sizing that reduced 8th SFG's end-strength and left us no other place to go right after Spanish language school (MILPERSCEN offered me an Airborne Infantry slot down in the Canal Zone, but I wouldn't take it -- I was SF and didn't want to take a step back in my estimation) .... It all worked out. I spent some time TDY teaching summer ROTC at Indiantown Gap which was beneficial for the MTTs I had while in 8th SFG (later 3Bn, 7th SFG) and went to ski school in Sunday River, Maine and learned to snow ski.

Slots opened up in 8th SFGA in early '72 and Fred and I drove down to Panama with our (then) significant others (he's still married to his).

Old 05-15-2015, 08:32   #27
fred111
Quiet Professional

After all that fun for 27 years, I am now staring at the water in the Outer Banks waiting for my wife to tell me what to do.
fred111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:24   #28
Kcolliver
Asset

10th SFG 73-75

Was in 10th SFG right after I came home from Vietnam in 1973. A co 3d Bn, SFODA 313.
Kcolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:43   #29
fred111
Quiet Professional

Kcolliver-- First name Keith???
fred111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:46   #30
Kcolliver
Asset

Keith Colliver

Yes first name Keith
Kcolliver is offline   Reply With Quote