Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 07-13-2004, 15:41   #1
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

CSM Wilbur Childress

I have lots of stories about "The Big Daddy Rabbit". Even though I don't think he ever saw a dayt of combat he was a champion of the enlisted man.

Personal grooming at Khe Sahn was nearly non-existent.
I was called to Nha Trang for an Officer Selection Board - I had applied for a DC. I was put on a chopper to Da Nang and promptly on a C- 7A tp Nha Trang I arrived, basically looking like I did when I left. -- red boots, red fatigues and uncut red hair. I was walking from the ramp and in the gate to 5th SFGA HQ when I was attacked by a lieutenant. He braced me to attention and started waving his finger inb my face and shouting, telling me that my appearance was a disgrace to Special Forces.

The CSM was driving by and stopped to see what the commotion was about. I explained that I had left Khe Sahn that morning and flew directly to the SFOB. CSM Childress put me in his jeep and told the driver to take me to S-4 for some new clothes, then to the transient quarters to clean up and told me that after I cleaned up to go to the club for dinner and beer on the house. We left and I looked back to see the CSM had the Lt at attention, and he was waving his finger in his face and explaining the facts of life in a combat zone to him.

That Lt has no idea how close he came to becoming a casualty of war.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 15:46   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Thanks for the story. Keep them coming, please!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 15:55   #3
Roycroft201
Guerrilla

That's a great story. Thank you, sir.
Roycroft201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 15:56   #4
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Shucks, I may have to write my own book: "Tales From Terry's Team Room."

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 16:27   #5
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
Shucks, I may have to write my own book: "Tales From Terry's Team Room."
Catchy title!

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 19:18   #6
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I'd buy.
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:53   #7
SFpanama
Quiet Professional

Great story for sure Terry. I recall hearing about CSM Wilbur Childress before I went to the 8th SFG in 1970. As you know, Childress was the CSM of the 8th SFG at the time. I was told by those who knew him that he was a hard charger and didn't take any quarters, back when I was a new "Flash" qualified SF troop getting ready to go to the 8th. The thing that's even more amusing about Terry's story is, those of us that knew Childress, know that he was a large man. I'd guess that he was around 6' 4" and about a lean 230 lbs. I can just see him standing over that Lt. with his imposing presence.

Unlike many that I've known who crossed paths with him, I remember Wilbur Childress fondly. When I got to the 8th, he soon discovered that I was a bit of an artist, so he asked me to do some art work for the NCO wives club. I was glad to do it and he was happy that I obliged. He gave me a credit card that I could use to get whatever art supplies I needed. He even had me fill in for the Group Illustrator when said illustrator was attending NCO School. When the 8th SFG was reorganizing, he offered me the Illustrator job full time, but I turned him down. I was sorry to hear that he was killed in Vietnam. He was a character.

By the way Terry, my name is John Southard. We crossed paths few times when we were with the 8th SFG. I was mostly at Gulick and you mostly out at the hangar at Coco Solo. I recall when you were getting ready to leave the 8th, you, Glenn Oehms, Tony Gilgen, myself and a couple others (I think Cal Hardesty) were at the Playboy club one afternoon in Colon having a few cool ones. I remenber one of the resident hookers approached me and I told her that I wasn't interested. She in turn played the what are you gay card, which didn't set well with me. I recall you saying that I should have given one of you a hug and said yeah baby! Tsk, tsk!