Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 07-13-2021, 17:18   #1
zuck
Asset

Picking up 18x at OSUT as PA NG soldier

Hello all,

I recently was accepted into the Pennsylvania NG as an 11b. I will swear in and get my ship date this Thursday. Assuming I meet the standards for an 18x, is it possible for a soldier in the guard to pick up this contract ? I am aware that PA does not have an SF group stationed in the state. I am looking at any state nearby.
zuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:20   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

A year or so ago this was an option, I do not know if the NG has maintained manpower at Ft Benning to continue the program.

Smoke the APFT and do the best you can in everything else. If the NG is still doing it and you meet the standards, you'll know.

Since PA doesn't have SF structure, somewhere in this process you would have to IST (interstate transfer) to a state that has SF (OH or WV for example).

If not an option for you at Ft Benning, then go back to PA get some experience as an 11B then contact one of the SF units in a neighboring state and get to selection through them.

In most cases you won't IST until AFTER you have passed selection, however if your State is difficult to work with (I can't remember specifics about PA), you may have to IST to a unit in the other state before.

One thing to remember is that your unit/State cannot stop you from IST ing. Don't let anyone tell you differently. The gaining State / Unit will help you navigate this process.

good luck.
Old 07-18-2021, 20:55   #3
zuck
Asset

Thanks for the insight. I’ll do that. I cant wait to start training.
zuck is offline   Reply With Quote