Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2007, 19:09   #1
DutyFirst
Asset

Doing the best I can

QPs,

I want to share my story with you and request your guidance as men I respect and wish to serve with.

When I first enlisted a few years ago in the CAARNG, I was younger (read: naive) and less mature and allowed myself to be persuaded by my recruiter to not disclose my medical records (as well as to why I should go NG over active, when active is what I wanted originally). When I was in the middle of signing my contract my recruiter called the GC and had my SF86 changed to omit a juvenile offense I had disclosed because the court wasn't disclosing and he handn't a waiver for me. They squezed me and said if I didn't keep quiet about the offense they wouldn't enlist me..it felt horrible but I relented so I could serve my country. I still have both printed EPSQs from the MEPS GC so hopefully It will help show that I did the right thing initially until I was coerced and caved in. When I got to my unit, I learned that I was lied to about what I would be doing and my training opportunities, was not enlisted as a REP-63, had a bad enlistment to contend with and if I continued to pursue SF I would be toast because I was almost gauranteed to get a fraudulent enlistment discharge when the clearance was worked on. My unit wasn't the unit specified on the contract, they were in a real bad way in every aspect, wouldn't let me transfer because they were already a skeleton crew and needed troops....I was miserable about it all and stopped going to drill so I could get a General Discharge under Honorable conditions rather than OTH, and re-do the whole thing THE RIGHT WAY this time.

I realize that despite being led along by a shitbag person in a position of trust and whatever else I may have in my defense, it was I who signed the paperwork and made the choice, period. I am smarter and better than that but caught up in the emotion of it as a young hard charger wanting to serve I did the wrong thing. I am not looking for sympathy or to pass the buck.

I did all that I could to be an exemplary soldier in basic, was a PT stud, and I truly love the Army and my fellow soldiers, but finding out what a sham and dishonorable situation I was in I felt I had to take what action I could for the best interests of myself and the Army.

Moving forward, I am older, wiser, more mature, and I am not going to give up in going after what I want: a career in SF. I am scared of "NO" but having done everything I can and being thrown out on my face will be better than cowering in the corner and never going after it. I realize that you men may well be skeptical of my account here due to your intellect and training.

I ask for only two things with this post: suspension of your disbelief and any guidance towards setting things right and getting what I am after. I am an open book. What type of proactivity is recommended to satisfy clearance and administrative selection requirements and get past this? Im going to MEPS in 2-3 days in pursuit of my 18x contract.
DutyFirst is offline   Reply With Quote