Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 04-01-2021, 17:00   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Russian Armor Floods Toward Border With Ukraine Amid Fears Of An "Imminent Crisis"

Russian Armor Floods Toward Border With Ukraine Amid Fears Of An "Imminent Crisis"

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...mminent-crisis

"Trains loaded with large amounts of Russian military hardware, including tanks and other heavy armored vehicles, as well as heavy artillery, appear to be streaming toward the country's borders with Ukraine. There are unconfirmed reports that the scale of these movements is so significant that it has, to the dismay of Russian farmers, disrupted shipments of tractors and other agricultural equipment ahead of the spring harvest season. U.S. officials are now worried that a new major round of fighting between Russia and Ukraine may be imminent as a ceasefire is at risk of expiring tomorrow......"

Not sure on this source and can't find any other stories from other sources.

Wonder if there is concern at the White House?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 19:31   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

US general calls Ukrainian, Russian counterparts over reported Russian troop movements

https://americanmilitarynews.com/202...oop-movements/

"A top U.S. general called his counterparts in Russia and Ukraine on March 31 amid reports of a buildup of Russian troops along Ukraine’s border and in Crimea, the Pentagon confirmed on March 31.

Defense Department spokesman John Kirby confirmed that Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley called top military leaders in Russia and Ukraine and said the Pentagon is aware of Ukrainian military reports concerning Russian troop movements near Ukraine’s borders......"

I'm sure the Biden/Harris administration has their eyes on this.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 20:45   #3
Flagg
Area Commander

I wonder if, besides the US SF led NATO effort to turn the Baltics into a poison pill if swallowed, it would make sense to load up Ukraine with middle power(Israeli/Turk) UCAVs?

The Azerbaijanis absolutely smashed the largely Russian equipped Armenians with Israeli/Turk UCAVs.

I don’t see Putin being dumb enough to invade.

But I do see him lighting fires, particularly ones that can raise tensions and especially raise energy prices(which Russia and Russia’s government is hugely reliant upon).
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 22:10   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
I don’t see Putin being dumb enough to invade.
Putin is going to have this Russian armor drive into Ukraine in reverse.
When the Harris-Biden administration asks "what the hell is going on?"
...Putins commanders are going to say "Dont worry, we were just leaving"

At which point the Harris-Biden administration will pause for the media fact-checkers to declare that the Russian tanks are in fact, facing AWAY from Ukraine and not into Ukraine. Once the fact-checkers declare that the armor is NOT advancing into Ukraine - at best the armor is RETREATING into Ukraine. Then the administration will declare victory against that soulless murderer named Putinget so they can get back to the much more important business of weakening election security, raising taxes, directing how people will be allowed to celebrate independence day, putting immigrant children in cages while limited media coverage, and advancing the illusion of diversity and inclusion.

nothing to see here - move along
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 04-01-2021 at 22:13.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:20   #5
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

"IMMINENT CRISIS"

Nothing to worry about, Hunter Biden has this under control...What ever happened to Lt.Col. Vindman & his brother the White House "Advisor" (SPY) ???? They are from the Ukraine.
Old 04-02-2021, 14:18   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Interesting timing, Chief son just had an article published in the FA Professional Bulletin. (Well, I can't upload the PDF of just his part.) Long-range Fires Gap: https://sill-www.army.mil/USAFAS/bulletin/

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:15   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Interesting article that details a Russian media interview with Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov (interview dtd 1 April 2021, not April Fool's joke).
Quote:
Vyacheslav Nikonov: The word “war” has been heard increasingly more often lately. US and NATO politicians, even more so the Ukrainian military, have no trouble saying it. Do you have more reasons to be concerned now than ever before?

Sergey Lavrov: Yes and no. On the one hand, the confrontation has hit bottom. On the other, deep down, there’s still hope that we are adults and understand the risks associated with escalating tensions further. However, our Western colleagues introduced the word “war” into the diplomatic and international usage. “The hybrid war unleashed by Russia” is a very popular description of what the West perceives as the main event in international life. I still believe that good judgment will prevail.
And it goes on, in many directions, including some interesting assessments of the ongoing "cultural revolution" in the US. Note that non-US interviews of this nature seem to be willing to take as long as they need, rather than 5 minutes to cut for 8 minutes of commercials.

Some of the comments are worth checking & are more insightful than seen at many American online sites.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:39   #8
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Troop buildup at about 150,000 now.

Interesting

Russian (Soviet) thought processes have always been intriguing.

Quote:
. Russian Buildup

Russia has amassed more than 100,000 troops near the Ukraine border in recent weeks, according to US intelligence. Satellite images also reveal the country has moved a number of fighter jets, armored ground units, attack helicopters, and other forces to strategic locations across the region. Western officials say the buildup is larger than that seen in 2014, when Russia invaded Ukraine and took control of the Crimean Peninsula.
Could be serious

Might just be Reforger or Team Spirit.

Or maybe they're just cheerleading the internal Ukrainian separatists to act out and create a crisis they can "help stabilize"?

Quote:
. A Ukrainian soldier was killed and another wounded on Sunday in clashes with separatists in the east of the country, where such confrontations have increased amid renewed tensions with Moscow.

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 04-21-2021 at 05:47.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:52   #9
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Anyone get the sense that maybe Iran, Russia, and China are coordinating efforts to test the Biden administration and US resolve? I am seeing reports of tripartite high level discussions. I doubt they're just talking about the weather?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:01   #10
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

It'd be easier to just send an few dozen across the open US Southern Border infected with something exotic and we'll self destruct on our own.

Biden-Harris is just asking we/they "What would Obama do?"

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 04-21-2021 at 12:03.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 13:38   #11
Badger52
Area Commander

I cannot help but feel that - for all the regime's direction toward tyranny domestically - they are completely clueless as to the intricacies of how other nations view us, what motivates them, what their interests are, etc. On that front they are, in my opinion, displaying a level of incompetence not seen in several years.

During the recent visit by PM Suga from Japan there was a joint brief address & media opportunity (i.e., "proof of life" for Biden) and Biden's handlers had clearly decided to take the course of pre-approved, scripted questions, from certain outlets mostly regarding Domestic policy. Even with that, Biden still displayed that migraine-look he gets, even with written pages or a teleprompter, that indicates the brain is in overload & having difficulty keeping up. What a marvelous - but in my eyes wasted - opportunity to put some rhetoric 'out there' for consumption by the rest of the world community regarding alliances in terms of security issues and not just who's building what where etc. I'm sure the PM brought a sufficient entourage to flesh some things out; they brought 2 Boeing 777's.
(Reagan's people were masters at this, knowing the importance of the words was not what page they were on in the WaPo. The key was the understanding by some leaders 12,000 miles away.)

These guys are missing the boat. I'm afraid things in 1 or 2 regions are going to get really spicy and then.... Harris is going to go into a fit of inappropriate cackling laughter at the wrong moment. As they say in the taverns, "and THAT's when the fight started."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 04-21-2021, 13:51   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Interesting timing, Chief son just had an article published in the FA Professional Bulletin. (Well, I can't upload the PDF of just his part.) Long-range Fires Gap: https://sill-www.army.mil/USAFAS/bulletin/
By the way, hat-tip to your progeny. This nugget caught my eye:
Quote:
If the U.S. Army can't rely on Joint assets for fire support assistance, Commanders must assume tactical risk to influence operations with fire support assets. This is a requirement when nearly every U.S. Field Artillery asset is outranged on the battlefield.

Old 04-21-2021, 14:49   #13
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Anyone get the sense that maybe Iran, Russia, and China are coordinating efforts to test the Biden administration and US resolve? I am seeing reports of tripartite high level discussions. I doubt they're just talking about the weather?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGmVUFDomc
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 21:57   #14
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
By the way, hat-tip to your progeny.
ˇGracias, mi amigo!

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:00   #15
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post