Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-28-2018, 08:31   #1
cbtengr
Area Commander

Pressure Cooker

Does anyone have or use one of these pressure cookers that they advertise on TV all the time? If you use one of any kind what do you like or dislike about it?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:42   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

My wife uses one all the time and loves it. It's her goto pot.

uses it for making soup. and rice. browns meat in it. uses it as a slow cooker if thats what she wants. . its multi functional.

get the big size and you won't go wrong. we have the Farberware brand.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:44   #3
PSM
Area Commander

We've got an 8L Fagor that's rated for oil, too. We got it when we were sailing because, the way it locks, if it slid off the stove nothing would spill.

I use it to make broasted chicken with hot oil under pressure (8 to 9 minutes). My wife uses it mostly to make beans, two hours rather than all day. A pot roast takes about an hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fagor.jpg (46.8 KB, 37 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:25   #4
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Duplicate post
Old 01-28-2018, 14:21   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

I have a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. I have used it to cook chili, chicken stew, beef stew, pot roast, New England boiled dinner, pulled pork, and even cooked a pasta/meat sauce dish - all with good results.

If it takes 6 hours in a crock pot, you can usually cut that time by a third or more. I can't think of any real reason for me NOT to have one now that I have started using it. If I had to get rid of my pressure cooker or crockpot because of storage space, I'd unload the crockpot without a second thought.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 15:18   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

Don't use mine near enough as I should.

I have an old stove top one and that critter will do meal in a snap of the fingers.

Last time I used it I cooked a huge beef roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. Sear the meat, coat it with gravy mix, cook for 10 minutes, depressurize, add the other stuff, bring it back up to pressure and cook another 10 minutes.

The wife loved it - plus she didn't have to cook or clean up.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 17:48   #7
InnaK
Asset

Pressure cooker

N/A

Last edited by InnaK; 01-30-2018 at 20:49.
InnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 16:03   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Pressure cooker

Pressure cooker = NSA, TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 16:37   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnaK View Post
....Gluten free,....
Innak, so far 33% of your posts have plugged "Gluten free".

You're on my watch list.
Old 01-29-2018, 17:25   #10
cbtengr
Area Commander

I pulled the trigger today on a 6 QT Instant Pot. I have no idea as to what is Gluten, my tastes are more akin to Pork Shoulder, Baby Back Ribs, and Beef Roast .
Old 01-29-2018, 18:12   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I pulled the trigger today on a 6 QT Instant Pot. I have no idea as to what is Gluten, my tastes are more akin to Pork Shoulder, Baby Back Ribs, and Beef Roast .
Except for the pressure cooker, we might be related.
Old 01-29-2018, 23:22   #12
G2squared
Auxiliary

Instant Pot

My wife got an Insta Pot for us a year ago. I was skeptical at first but she also bought plastic tubs to pre-mix ingredients. The first weekend we had it I spent 4 hours prepping meals and freezing them for quick, easy meals as our energy was down and time was limited for meal prep as our, then newborn, daughter took her share of our time. It was GREAT!! Plop the frozen blob in and let it cook for 5 min to melt ice and make some liquids then put the top on and let it cook for the appropriate time. My favorite for that is green chicken chili with white beans.
Since then I've been trying other recipes and like the quick results of Kalua Pork. Sure it's not the same as burying a pig in the ground for most of a day, but I don't have that kind of time.
I usually feel beef comes out needing salt, but it can make all meat falloff the bone tender!! Seasoning is a matter of personal preference but I think it requires a little time to sort out seasoning in the insta pot.
Any stove top pressure cooker cooking can be adapted to electric style pressure cookers and there are guides online. The difference is the pressure that they cook at. Electric systems go to a lower pressure and thus require more time. It's pretty nice to be able to add ingredients poke buttons and then let it do the rest, instead of having to continuously monitor pressure.

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:49   #13
InnaK
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Innak, so far 33% of your posts have plugged "Gluten free".

You're on my watch list.
I am sorry, Why???
InnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:36   #14
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnaK View Post
I am sorry, Why???
Reflect on the "Why" as you read more, post less and get a feel for this board.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:49   #15
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
We have the 6qt as well and use it a lot. That said, I will caution you that it is not a replacement for proper slow cooking techniques. You can make pork shoulder and beef roast but the results are not the same. You do sacrifice quality of outcome for expediency.

It is very good for quicker meals (throw in some chicken, frozen even, with rice and broth after the kiddo's karate class and you have dinner done in half ano hour with one dirty pot).

It is good for broth, soups, etc and many other things.

As my wife tells every one that she knows that buys one and asks her what to make, "Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD".

Some things are great in an Instant Pot and others should only be made if you need that particular thing soon.

One of my favorites is Thai or Indian curries. Not quite the depth of flavor as the longer cooking method but for a quicker weekday dinner, it is more than acceptable. The whole house will smell like the spices when you vent the pressure.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 01-30-2018 at 07:25.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote