Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 03-01-2005, 20:52   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

So who's doing something new

for PT or H2H?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 23:43   #2
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Started the Karambit about a month ago.

Also going back to my basics and studying my old Jujitsu (old School Samari style Jujitsu not BJJ) notebooks. I'm re-learning all that I have forgotten over the years.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:26   #3
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

I'm doing basic stuff to get get fit/lose weight. Waiting on some new boots so I can do some proper bergen stuff (not by the standards here, mind LOL).

Oh, and I'm a Un-e-versity guy now, so I get a cheap gym. Let the uni mocking begin!

Edit to add: Probably taking up Kendo as well.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:43   #4
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

After I was cut on last September I started an isometrics regimen with a sling rope and a cane that allowed me to use the hospital bed and the wheel chair for a gym. A couple of weeks ago I got enough strength back in my legs and was upgraded to Canadian Forearm Crutches ,that gave me a lot more mobility, and clearence from the doc to go downstairs into my workout area and have gotten back on the crossbow and was surprised at how quickly I was able to get back into an almost normal upper body routine. Still sort of screwed when it comes to doing anything that will give me a good aerobic workout as I am not really allowed to put much weight on the legs yet. While it may not sound new, it was renewing to be able to get back into a good routine after all this time.

Jack Moroney
Old 03-02-2005, 08:57   #5
504PIR
Guerrilla

Started running using a Heart Rate Monitor. Also read Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot by John Parker Jr. Program is for runners & triathletes. Also Serious Training for the Endurance Athlete.

At first its VERY frustrating as you have to run below your 70% areboic ceiling, cause you are going SO FRICKING slow. But on the other side I believe I'm seeing improvement as I build up my base. Its a 3 month program and I will run it through. Let you know when I'm done
504PIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:49   #6
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504PIR
At first its VERY frustrating as you have to run below your 70% areboic ceiling, cause you are going SO FRICKING slow.
Stick with it! You have to go slow before you can go fast.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54   #7
vivelamorte
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
for PT or H2H?
I have found a great complement for boxing - Systema, which is marketed as "Russian Martial Art".

The brother of this guy http://www.russianmartialart.com/ is teaching it down here. A few ex-soldiers from Russia, and they're all tough as, er, woodpecker lips. And unbelievably friendly and nice, good chums. Quite unlike anything else I've done.

Apart from that, I finally ought to get my ar** up and start a strict running regime, and fartlek, and hang up a punching bag......

Last edited by vivelamorte; 05-08-2005 at 09:57.
vivelamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 21:27   #8
The Dave
Auxiliary

Just started bodyweight only training tonight. Seems like I got much much more of a workout than when I'm using the free weights.

Starting rock climbing this weekend, so I'll see how that helps improve the upper body too.
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 22:01   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What program are you doing TheDave?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:33   #10
twil13
Asset

I recently did 1000 pushups in 1 hour to see if I could do it. It was much more difficult than I thought, and on the last 50 or so it was pretty hard to push. It was nice because I got really sore, and it lasted for several days, which doesn’t happen with my normal workouts. After I recovered in did 2 minutes of pushups to see if it made a difference, and I went from 104 to 113. What I found changed was my endurance from 80 on, where I could push more faster than before. I also did 1000 flutter kicks in 1 hour as well and that was rough too. I am going to start doing both of these in an hour as a workout a couple times a week. Here is what you need to do it in 1 hour.

Get a count-down timer and set if for 2:24, it also helps if you have a timre that can also repeat so you don't have to start it every time. So you start the timer then do a set of 40 pushups immediately followed by 40 4-count flutter kicks. This leaves me with about 1 minute of rest out of the 2:24, use this time to rest and when the timer beeps to start over you repeat. Do this 25 times and it will be exactly 1 hour and 1k pushups and flutters. I tried it and went to 400 on each the other day. If anyone has a chance to try this let me know how it goes.

Tony
twil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:04   #11
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twil13

Get a count-down timer and set if for 2:24, it also helps if you have a timre that can also repeat so you don't have to start it every time. So you start the timer then do a set of 40 pushups immediately followed by 40 4-count flutter kicks. This leaves me with about 1 minute of rest out of the 2:24, use this time to rest and when the timer beeps to start over you repeat. Do this 25 times and it will be exactly 1 hour and 1k pushups and flutters. I tried it and went to 400 on each the other day. If anyone has a chance to try this let me know how it goes.

Tony
I am gonna try this. Haven't worked out in awhile and my weights are in storage. Very interesting.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:47   #12
The Dave
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
What program are you doing TheDave?
Haven't selected a specific program just yet. Gonna try out some of the Crossfit excersises, and pick up a couple of the books (Combat Conditioning) you and some others have suggested. Yesterday was a lot of dips, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and flutterkicks. I need to incorporate more running into my workouts as well.

My gym has a 30 ft rope for climbing, that I had just discovered a couple of days ago. I understand that's something I'll have to be sure I can conquer, over and over (after being smoked already).
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 13:30   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

finally tried crossfit. The good 'ol 21-15-9 reps (powerclean) and 46-30-18 (superman) followed by some muscle-up and rope climb...

Both legs and arms turned to butter + blister from learning muscle-ups. Played tennis afterwards but the blood didn't seem to have returned to the head enough to enable good hand-eye-body positioning coordination. Thank goodness I didn't have any breakfast or late dinner the previous 13 hours.

Crossfit program definitely works both cardio and strength/power at the same time. I really like the functional strength exercises. Although you can do them by yourself at home, folks at the gym can make sure you have proper posture/technique and they won't count your repetition if you do it wrong.

As far as stress relief, when the pain was so intense for some reason I couldn't remember at all whatever it was that's causing stress, sadness, etc. (or what planet I'm from) even for some time afterwards. The only other time I had this experience was during rock climbing when your grip was about to give up and you're set for 30+ feet fall. Crossfit exercises can easily become addictive.

Last edited by frostfire; 08-19-2006 at 13:36.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 18:22   #14
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I started to do the "guerilla workout" running regime that was mentioned in an article posted here. The article take-away was a 12 min running session consisting of 4 min at 50% percieved exertion, 4 min of sprinting at 100% for 20 secs, resting 10 secs, then another 4 min at 50%. I did this three times a week in place of my usual APFT 2 mile runs.

In terms of results, I recently started running at the beach. The heat and soft sand normally take it out of me so that my run times are significantly worse than on a hard running surface. Apparently as a result of this 'guerrilla workout' running method, my run-times on the beach are 3/4 to 1/2 of what they were before. I have also noticed distinct gains in my ability to ruckmarch at high altitude.

Thank you,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 21:11   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

Had an opportunity to focus on some basic medicine ball training a few months ago. I like the variety it adds to "power" (strength and speed) workouts and the wide range of supporting muscle/connective tissue it involves.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote