Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:31   #16
PSM
Area Commander

Low Level Hell

“Low Level Hell” by LTC Hugh Mills (ret). It’s an account of his days as an OH-6A (Loach) pilot for the 1ID in Viet Nam.

I ordered it because a Google search revealed that a friend is mentioned in the book as being the PL of the Lift Platoon (aka: the Four Horsemen). He and I got our Private Pilot’s licenses at the same time, but my eyesight disqualified me from the Army’s Flight School.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 09-21-2008 at 11:33.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:53   #17
Longstreet
Guerrilla

My Two Cents.

Not too long ago I read the book "The Unexpected War : Canada in Kandahar". Obviously it is about Canada's role in Aghansitan, but it deals more with the political side of the event rather than actual fighting. It gives reasoning as to how and why Canada is involved in Afghanistan. Ironically it appears we got involved just to keep the Americans happy . . .

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have discussed it with several coworkers. I now understand much more why we are there, and I support our decision even more. I plan on posting on this site a 'book talk/post' when I have the chance.

The book I just started reading is non-military, but is still turning out to be a good read. It is called "The Exhausted School: The First National Grassroots Speakout on the Right to School Choice". Since I am only on page ten, I will borrow a synopsis on this book from Amazon.

"Gatto, a New York state teacher of the year, and seven other speakers who are founders of successful, established programs. The speeches, which deal with the right to school choice and challenge the present school system, were presented at Carnegie Hall in 1991. The contributors propose several ideal school programs that may operate on less than one third of the budgets of contemporary public schools. They also demand free market choices in education, a topic that drew considerable attention during the recent U.S. presidential campaign.".

Again it is still too early to make any comment on this book, but so far it has been enlightening.
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Old 09-21-2008, 12:44   #18
echoes
Area Commander

"What am I reading now?"...

Hmmm.

Old posts from The Reaper, Team Sergenat, NDD...(A.K.A. The Founding Fathers of PS.com.)

and learning!

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 09-21-2008 at 12:46. Reason: add title
Old 09-21-2008, 13:00   #19
Atomsk
SF Candidate

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore- I found this by accident in a library, and it's pretty funny. It's about this guy who become Death (well more like the Grim Reapers little helper) and tries to balance that power with the fact that his life is pretty average.

Che Guevara Guerilla Warfare (intro by Mark Becker) I picked this up a few years ago from the minimall on Bragg, and i've been reading it over and over for a while now. It's pretty informative, though that's just my civilian opinion.

Machiavelli's The Prince- Great book, i've picked up a different outlook on society and life since i've read it. I think everyone should read it.

The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazer - I actually bought this because it kept popping up in this show I was watching, but it's turned out to be a major learning exp. Taken from the back cover: "...describes our ancestors' primitive methods of worship, sex practices, rituals and festivals."

And a book on programming in C++
Old 09-21-2008, 13:42   #20
BlackDragon0311
Asset

well...

just a reading off the ones i've read this past year and would highly recommend...edited this post as i'm a bit tired and had posted some other things in haste...anyway, here's the list...

*Sniper One
*Dance with the Devil by Robert Baer, former CIA on our relations with Saudi Arabia.
*See No Evil by Robert Baer, covering his career in counter-terrorism while with the CIA.
*Not a Good Day to Die, the Untold story of operation Anaconda, by Sean Naylor
*Because They Hate, by Bridgiett Gabriel
*HOGS In the Shadows, USMC Snipers in Iraq by Milo S. Afong
*Masters of Chaos by Linda Robinson
*Hunting al Qaeda : A Take-No-Prisoners Account of Terror, Adventure, and Disillusionment by Anonymous, Gerald Schumacher
*Lone Survivor : The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson, Patrick Robinson
*Roughneck Nine One : The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-Team at War by Hans Halberstadt
*Brotherhood of Warriors by Aaron Cohen, Douglas Century
*We Were One : Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah by Patrick K. O'Donnell
*No True Glory : A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah by Bing West
*Generation Kill by Evan Wright

Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head, lol, and ones i've just read in the past year...think i'm doin ok for myself.

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero

Last edited by BlackDragon0311; 09-21-2008 at 14:52.
Old 09-21-2008, 14:41   #21
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Maybe I'm not getting this, but didn't the thread begin “What are you reading now...?" Not what are you reading to impress the others on this site.

Now, as a “certificated” teacher I read lots of stuff because I am always on the lookout for books that will help me teach what our students need to know. In the art (not science) of writing a big component is called voice.
“Voice shows the writer's personality.
The writing has a sound that is different from everyone else's.
It contains feelings and emotions so that it does not sound like an encyclopedia article.
The reader should be able to sense the sincerity and honesty of the writer. The writer should be writing from the heart.
The language should bring the topic to life for the reader.
The voice should be appropriate for the topic, purpose, and audience of the paper.” (Cited from kimskorner4teachertalk.com).

World War Z meets all these Points of Performance admirably! It is a book many high school and college students will read. (You gotta get them to read it to get them to learn it!)
FOR EXAMPLE -- The story of the female C-130 driver’s E and E will appeal to a 17 year old girl, (and a SERE Instructor). The reflections of the Infantry Sergeant on the initial battle when the “Fulda F**k-tard” Generals tried to fight a conventional war against an enemy “incapable of fear” might be illuminating when one faces Religious extremists. Plus any grunt who has had to do something because “The Generals” said too, will smile.

Next, I read lots of stuff. I have a pretty beatup copy of Dufffer's Drift I pull out and sometimes I just leaf through my autographed copy of Five Years to Freedom just to think about a great soldier. I’ve read everything I can lay my hands on about Afghanistan. Some of it very solid (Charlie Wilson’s War and the CIA Country Study) some a little softer (The Kite Runner) and the books by that interesting English guy who walked from Heart to Kabul -- Can’t remember cuz I give a lot of my books away, sorry. -- I learn as much from the fiction. I’ll be reading Three Cups of Tea soon. Do you understand the significance of the third cup?

Finally, I’m not an aspiring SF soldier I am one.
I served on active duty (It’s in my profile). And now I’m back in the Guard. I’m lucky enough to be able to share my SF and Conventional experience with a new generation (Literally – I have Privates who were born when I was 32 years old) My Long Tab, that I beat them on the APFT run and because I served a tour in Afghanistan give me some “street cred”. I don't expect to be "dis'd" here.

In conclusion, Lets remember that SF has always been about being the “right cut of cloth” not being the right set of clothes”. We are all entitled to walk our own paths as long as we make the objective within the time on target.
I think you're missing the point of The Reapers post, it's aimed at one individual and one only. It's free advice for one that desires "to attempt" to become a Special Forces soldier. That's how I read it anyway.

Team Sergeant
(ODA-514 at Bragg and Ft Campbell, KY.)
Old 09-21-2008, 14:51   #22
BlackDragon0311
Asset

hmmm

if anyone is also interested, at the end of this month Robert Baer's new book, "The Devil We Know" about the growing crisis with Iran is comming out at the end of this month, highly recommend any and all of his books.

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero

Last edited by BlackDragon0311; 09-21-2008 at 14:54.
Old 09-21-2008, 14:53   #23
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon0311 View Post
perhaps, and I sincerely mean it when I say i'm not trying to start a pissing contest with anyone on here, just started this post to know what others are reading, and to better help anyone in suggestion to good military or otherwise related books is all
While you may be the subject of the issue you are not considered a participant.

Now go do PT.

TS
Old 09-21-2008, 15:17   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I think you're missing the point of The Reapers post, it's aimed at one individual and one only. It's free advice for one that desires "to attempt" to become a Special Forces soldier. That's how I read it anyway.

Team Sergeant
(ODA-514 at Bragg and Ft Campbell, KY.)
Correct.

Quote:
perhaps, and I sincerely mean it when I say i'm not trying to start a pissing contest with anyone on here, just started this post to know what others are reading, and to better help anyone in suggestion to good military or otherwise related books is all
There are a lot of good threads here discussing what people are reading. We recommend that newer members not start threads unless they are sure the topic has not already been covered.

Glad to see the serious material in your library as well.

Pissing contests here are normally short.

Enjoy your visit, best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 09-21-2008, 15:26   #25
BlackDragon0311
Asset

point.

game, set, and match sir. your serve? :P

anyone read ghost wars yet? I read a bit in the local library and was impressed with the bit I read, but wanted to know if anyone had a full on review they wished to share?

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero
Old 09-21-2008, 15:36   #26
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Just finished Chosen Soldier, before that Secret Commandos.

Just started (don't laugh) Become A Better You by Joel Osteen.

I plan to read in between this book, On Killing.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
Old 09-21-2008, 16:59   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
game, set, and match sir. your serve? :P

anyone read ghost wars yet? I read a bit in the local library and was impressed with the bit I read, but wanted to know if anyone had a full on review they wished to share?

~JohnnyBoy
Johnny:

So you are going to absolutely refuse to use the Search button?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ght=ghost+wars

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 09-21-2008, 17:27   #28
BlackDragon0311
Asset

no...

I just prefer to get the opinions of those that are actively reading this page.

Cicero
Old 09-21-2008, 17:41   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I just prefer to get the opinions of those that are actively reading this page.
You might want to do some more reading first.

Don't be lazy, do your homework.

If you want to ask about a subject that has already been covered (and you will know that if you search before asking), put a post up in that thread after reading the existing thread.

Johnny, let me be blunt. We need good troops who are strong, smart, stable, and self-motivated. No one else is going to doing your work in SFAS and the SFQC. An ODA is a small unit, without any room for people who refuse to follow instructions or pull their weight. You are not yet a member of the Brotherhood, you are a guest here. Please follow the rules, and think before posting.

TR

Old 09-21-2008, 18:29   #30
Razor
Quiet Professional

"Intermediate Financial Management", by Eugene Brigham & Philip Daves.
Closed Thread