Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 20:10   #1
BlackDragon0311
Asset

What are you reading now...?

The titles itself says it, just fill us all in on what your reading, as its good suggestion for what you might find others might enjoy, currently i'm reading...

~Star Wars Republic Commando: Order 66 (hey, its actually pretty damn good, think of it as a special ops story in the future :P)

~Because They Hate (Brigitte Gabriel is a excellent and well informed author).

~Politically InCorrect Guide to Islam (says it in its title).

Just finished reading....

~Ghost: Confessions of a Counter-Terrorist Agent

~Lone Survivor

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero
Old 09-20-2008, 20:45   #2
Froggy
Quiet Professional

Now: Imperial Grunts / Kaplan

Next: Hot, Flat and Crowded / Friedman

Recently completed:
-Masters of Chaos / Robinson
-Dipomacy / Kissinger
Old 09-20-2008, 22:48   #3
pheepster
SF Candidate

Currently working my way through Haruki Murakami’s novels. Though I’m reading translations, there’s just something about the writing that keeps me interested.
Old 09-20-2008, 23:09   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

A Woman at War, The other side of the People's War by Thad Gaebelein. Thad was the recent Commandant at Valley Forge, he has been a USMA Instructor and he and I go way back to our early days in the Army. It is about Nguyen Thi Dinh "Sister Ba" a Senior General in the Viet Mihn / Cong. I was very surprised to find that women played an extensive role in Vietnam. I'd be interested in recollections from the soldiers of that time frame regarding the combat role women had on the other side.

World War Z an Oral History of the Zombie Wars Max Brooks. Picked it up on a whim and couldn't put it down. I'm a teacher and I think it is one of the best examples of "voice". It has the advantage that High School students will actually read it! Plus once you "accept" that there are Zombies the stories are great.

The Canon by Natalie Angier. It is a wonderfully simple introduction to science -- Scientific Process, Statistics, Probability, Physics, Chemistry, Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Biology Geology and Astronomy.

Moby Dick. The fifteen year (and counting) slog through that book continues. I hated it in 1993 and I still hate it, only now I have about 6 copies.
Old 09-20-2008, 23:20   #5
Penn
Area Commander

America’s Caesar by William Manchester
Old 09-21-2008, 00:28   #6
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Now: Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning"

Next: Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe's Tiger" and Robert Spencer's "The Truth About Muhammed"
Old 09-21-2008, 11:53   #7
Longstreet
Guerrilla

My Two Cents.

Not too long ago I read the book "The Unexpected War : Canada in Kandahar". Obviously it is about Canada's role in Aghansitan, but it deals more with the political side of the event rather than actual fighting. It gives reasoning as to how and why Canada is involved in Afghanistan. Ironically it appears we got involved just to keep the Americans happy . . .

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have discussed it with several coworkers. I now understand much more why we are there, and I support our decision even more. I plan on posting on this site a 'book talk/post' when I have the chance.

The book I just started reading is non-military, but is still turning out to be a good read. It is called "The Exhausted School: The First National Grassroots Speakout on the Right to School Choice". Since I am only on page ten, I will borrow a synopsis on this book from Amazon.

"Gatto, a New York state teacher of the year, and seven other speakers who are founders of successful, established programs. The speeches, which deal with the right to school choice and challenge the present school system, were presented at Carnegie Hall in 1991. The contributors propose several ideal school programs that may operate on less than one third of the budgets of contemporary public schools. They also demand free market choices in education, a topic that drew considerable attention during the recent U.S. presidential campaign.".

Again it is still too early to make any comment on this book, but so far it has been enlightening.
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Old 09-21-2008, 12:44   #8
echoes
Area Commander

"What am I reading now?"...

Hmmm.

Old posts from The Reaper, Team Sergenat, NDD...(A.K.A. The Founding Fathers of PS.com.)

and learning!

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 09-21-2008 at 12:46. Reason: add title
Old 09-22-2008, 18:57   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Now that I am finished with the ENTIRE Harry Potter series, which my kids MADE me read, I can get back to serious stuff. LOL
Old 09-22-2008, 20:50   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

"Easy Company Soldier" SGT Don Malarkey
"A Tale of Two Subs" Jonathan McCullough
"Stupid History" Leland Gregory
"How To Win A Fight With A Liberal" Daniel Kurtzman My SUV Can Beat Up Your Prius!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 12-15-2008, 11:19   #11
anythingrandom
Auxiliary

To anyone that has read the Rober Baer books on the CIA....

I recently finished "The CIA at War" by Ronald Kessler, which has a short segment about RB's behavior. I have read all of RB's works, enjoyed them all, but forgot my grain of salt and took them all as fact.

Kessler really puts emphasis on exactly how difficult of a job the CIA has, and how their successes are measured against their shortcomings. I found it an excellent rebuttal to much of Baer's work.

I'm reading currently "The Craft of Intelligence" by Dulles, and have found it very interesting. As it is published in 1963, a lot of the information is now outdated, but it is very neat to see how many things he correctly predicted about the future of intel.

At one point in the book, he talks about a "machine" that can sort through applicants looking for someone who is fluent in Swahili and French, over 35yo, not married, and under 5' 8''. It only took 40 seconds for his machine to complete the search! Blazing speed!

Also, intelligence operations from the Bible, middle ages, and early American history are discussed, providing excellent lines between how much and how little intelligence has changed. Although much of the book is spent talking about how to counter the Soviet threat, the lessons are easily applied to today's conflicts.

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.

There is only one road to human greatness: through the school of hard knocks.

- Albert Einstein
Old 12-23-2008, 17:21   #12
SRGross
Auxiliary

Finished
Never Surrender by LTG William "Jerry" Boykin (ret), got it signed

Gates Of Fire, also finished really enjoyed it

Reflections of a Warrior, By MoH CSM Frank Miller, another good read

Started

Two Wars, Nate Self US Army Ranger

Black hawk Down, Mark Bowen

On Killing, Lt Col Dav Grossman, I heard good things about this one
Old 12-23-2008, 17:27   #13
jbour13
Area Commander

I Know.....I Know

Kill Bin Ladin by
Dalton Fury

The Mission, The Men, And Me
Pete Blaber

Finished On Killing by Grossman and read the article that was posted not long ago http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=20849
Have to agree with TR, really close to the same.

I've a copy of On Combat that I'm starting next week.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
Old 12-23-2008, 18:17   #14
SRGross
Auxiliary

I've a copy of On Combat that I'm starting next week
I was thinking of picking it up, post your thoughts on it when you finish
Old 12-24-2008, 17:36   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Rereading The Ugly American after some 38 years. I'd forgotten what a good book it really is...especially for QPs.

Guy--you should read it; you'll identify many of the book's 'characters' among those with whom you currently have to mingle.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Closed Thread