Old 07-27-2018, 19:27   #1
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Tracking School

Question:
Any SF who could vouch for a tracking school near the Midwest? Civilian course for Human/Animal?
I've got a stash of PTO to burn. Wife is interested as well.
Old 07-28-2018, 00:52   #2
Flagg
Area Commander

I’m not SF, but I know tracker qualified folks who’ve worked with Scott Donelan, ex Rhoadie SAS/Selous Scout who runs courses across the US:

https://www.scottdonelantrackingscho.../2018-schedule
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 15:19   #3
Toaster
Guerrilla

John Hurth of Tyr Group is in Louisiana, not too close to the Midwest. Retired from SF, does combat tracking, small unit tactics and land navigation courses. The training is often conducted out near Ft. Polk and you can stay in the field, saving on hotel costs.

His book is good as well.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:20   #4
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
I’m not SF, but I know tracker qualified folks who’ve worked with Scott Donelan, ex Rhoadie SAS/Selous Scout who runs courses across the US:

https://www.scottdonelantrackingscho.../2018-schedule

I took his course while I was ACAPing and two days after retiring in 08' was in downtown Baghdad tracking EFP emplacers. Good course which was run at Ft Huachuca at the time.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 00:05   #5
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
I took his course while I was ACAPing and two days after retiring in 08' was in downtown Baghdad tracking EFP emplacers. Good course which was run at Ft Huachuca at the time.

CD
Wow! That’s awesome.

I heard(RUMINT so please don’t quote me on it) he may have been a subject matter expert for the Marine Corps Combat Hunter Project a decade or so ago?

I know a few guys down our way who are SMEs and I “audited” a tracker course(not course qualified, just lucky enough to get along to it).

But I only learned some green role tracking fundamentals, the urban side looks really interesting, I only ever received a “soldier’s 5” overview.

It’s a really really cool skill set....that reminds me of pistol training with quick skill fade if not practiced regularly.

Quite mentally taxing and certainly requires a few days to “tune in” to the environment.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Wow! That’s awesome.

I heard(RUMINT so please don’t quote me on it) he may have been a subject matter expert for the Marine Corps Combat Hunter Project a decade or so ago?
I know a Marine sniper who went through the course. He went on to start Team Rubicon.

DSD lives a handful of miles from me in Sierra Vista. Don't know him but know guys who do.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:37   #7
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

http://www.woodlandoperations.com/index.html

I worked with Pat a couple times. id recommend him
Men have always differed in their capacity to stomach risk. Many shun it, preferring to live circumscribed lives. Others rise to the circumstances when community or country comes calling, shedding day-to-day identifies as shopkeepers, scholars, or farmers to stare down the cannon’s mouth. A very few seek out danger as a matter of course. John F. Ross
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 21:28   #8
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

If you want the best you gotta go with Scott Donelan or one of his students as donelan is now in his mid to late 70's...there is few units who used the tracker to hunt and kill to the level of the Rhodesian SAS and the Selous Scouts....everything they teach is for combat and applies tactics outstanding....you can become a micro tracker under others but combat tracking is an ignored underused skill within the U.S. military yet highly valuable. I went through his TTO Tactical Tracking Operations and his Border Hunter 1 and 2 great courses he also has an Urban tracking course which would be useful to a Detective.
Old 12-11-2020, 17:39   #9
dannyleo
Quiet Professional

David Scott Donelan Tracking instruction

This string is old but thought I'd throw in my two cents since I just saw it and it's something I took a real, hankerin' to. As the SERE Survival Team NCOIC, I had DSD, with some of his assistants, come to Fort Bragg and instruct my SERE instructors. Wow! He definitely is the tops as far as I'm concerned. Lots of good stories while we walked the ground too. I can tell you he's been used by the best because they know he's the best. I don't know if he's retired or not, but I'd be interested in contacting him if anybody knows of his whereabouts.

Motorcycle Adventure Addict
Former Action Guy
Leatherneck/Devil Dog
Motorcycle Officer
Firefighter
Paramedic

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, then got too fat to wear it.
Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay.
Said, "Been there, done that."
Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US.
I didn't have any room for t-shirts on that little 13,500-mile journey.
dannyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 20:31   #10
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyleo View Post
This string is old but thought I'd throw in my two cents since I just saw it and it's something I took a real, hankerin' to. As the SERE Survival Team NCOIC, I had DSD, with some of his assistants, come to Fort Bragg and instruct my SERE instructors. Wow! He definitely is the tops as far as I'm concerned. Lots of good stories while we walked the ground too. I can tell you he's been used by the best because they know he's the best. I don't know if he's retired or not, but I'd be interested in contacting him if anybody knows of his whereabouts.
Try these:

https://mantrack1.com/?fbclid=IwAR2v...jH89-bhQoWakYc

mantrack1@mantrack1.com

Old 12-13-2020, 10:01   #11
dannyleo
Quiet Professional

THANKS!

Looks like he's still alive and kicking. I'll have to give him a call.

Motorcycle Adventure Addict
Former Action Guy
Leatherneck/Devil Dog
Motorcycle Officer
Firefighter
Paramedic

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, then got too fat to wear it.
Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay.
Said, "Been there, done that."
Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US.
I didn't have any room for t-shirts on that little 13,500-mile journey.
dannyleo is offline   Reply With Quote