Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 03-12-2005, 06:05   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

New Q Course POI

http://www.paraglideonline.net/index...l3-10-05.shtml

BMT
Old 03-12-2005, 06:49   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT
Guys,
This is only my opinion but I think there is only so much you can learn in a class room. Sometimes you just got to get out there and do it. Kinda' the Senior/Jumior/Mentor thing.
No Beret and Tab until after SERE and Language School? OK, OK maybe give them the Beret and Tab after SERE. But by the time they get to Language School they should see a little of the benifits from all the trainnng.

OK, off the soapbox now.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:42   #3
Doc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The Special Forces Medical Sergeant course however, will continue to be longer than the other specialties moving from 93 weeks to 86 weeks.
Here's an admission; I don't know if I could make it through the new program. I've heard it's even tougher now than it ever was. Now with 7 weeks chopped off, it's got to be a smoker.

Good luck lads.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:03   #4
Dustin03
Guerrilla

I've heard words about land being bought in south MS, and La for SF training. supposed to be close to the Stennis rocket center on the coast.

Anybody heard about this, or if this has something to do with the training being changed up?
Dustin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42   #5
Gandhi

I am actually in the first class that is going to endure the course using the new system. The only thing they have told us for sure so far is an organizational issue. We are going to be broken down into student ODA's. Obviously us medics will not be able to stay with the same ODA through out training, but that is one thing they are trying to work out... The other three mos have been adjusted to be the same length. As I go through I would be more then happy to give a heads up on any changes to the course, as long as they don't violate OPSEC.

Kevin
Old 03-12-2005, 10:03   #6
ccrn
Guerrilla

"Modularization of the pipeline will include providing a greater number of iterations for each major block of training"

Iteration: to utter or do again; repeat.

I am curious as to what this means. Possibly material being covered more than once in order to better learn it?
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:30   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Here's an admission; I don't know if I could make it through the new program. I've heard it's even tougher now than it ever was. Now with 7 weeks chopped off, it's got to be a smoker.

Good luck lads.

Doc
I don't doubt you would. Not for a second.

As for the changes, it is what it is. Those that make it will make it no matter what they do to the course. Looks like a move back to the tradition of RS being last. Good. Army training should end with an FTX combining all skill sets. Not sitting in a classroom listening to recordings.

I am glad they made language part of the pipeline. Language is important to establishing rapport. And rapport is key to the mission. I hope they are including culture training in the language module.

I don't really understand what they are cutting in the Delta course. But I have no doubt they will continue to graduate the finest soldiers the world has ever known.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:34   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn
"Modularization of the pipeline will include providing a greater number of iterations for each major block of training"

Iteration: to utter or do again; repeat.

I am curious as to what this means. Possibly material being covered more than once in order to better learn it?
Iteration is a fancy word for go 'round, class, cycle, turn. Nothing nefarious.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-12-2005, 13:21   #9
AmericanPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I hope they are including culture training in the language module.

They told us they are planning on implementing an "Immersion" program for us in Language school. At somepoint you will spend time in an area key to your language. They mentioned even sending guys overseas for languages such as German. As for us Arabic students, New York or Dearborn, MI. Everything seems kind of so so at the moment but I'll keep you updated if you would be interested to know.
Old 03-12-2005, 13:50   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Just my opinion, but an immersion program is useless without an understanding of grammar and the basics of the language. I would do an immersion program after language school and one year of working in the AOR. It will provide a big leap in skills, after the basics are mastered.

Sink or swim doesn't work with languages, both sides learn to compensate to much just to get past the frustration.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-12-2005, 20:48   #11
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The new SF training model will take into account a Soldier’s training and experience to develop a personalized program with multiple subjects taught concurrently, much like a college curriculum. For example, a Soldier who is already proficient in a foreign language may bypass the language instruction portion of the program and graduate up to eight weeks sooner.
I seem to recall doing exactly this back in 1997. New, old, new...whatever.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:22   #12
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Just my opinion, but an immersion program is useless without an understanding of grammar and the basics of the language. I would do an immersion program after language school and one year of working in the AOR. It will provide a big leap in skills, after the basics are mastered.

Sink or swim doesn't work with languages, both sides learn to compensate to much just to get past the frustration.
Couldn't agree more. Damn, just the differences in intonation, culture, idioms are enough to screw the pooch when it comes to getting your point across. My first trip south of the Mason-Dixon line when I first entered the military was enough of a challenge and we all supposedly spoke the same language. Even my grandkids speak with phrases that need a handbook or pointee-talkee cards to understand.

Jack Moroney-still wondering what the meaning of the word "is" is.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:45   #13
magician
Quiet Professional

what I would not give to be a young man and go again.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:33   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
But knowing what we know now...
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:53   #15
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
Quote:
But knowing what we know now...
Stop It!!! You two are killing me, WTF-I must be a friggin' fossil.

Jack Moroney