Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 08-17-2004, 12:55   #1
Student2501
Asset

Professional Opinion on Crye Camo pattern

First post on your great board. At this point I'm just a student of the process training someday to make it to the next level.

I was hoping to hear some professional opinion on the Crye Associates Scorpion/MultiCam pattern. MultiCam is designed to work in multiple enviornments. I believe it was originally developed as a part of the Army Objective Force Warrior program.
I've done a search of this particular forum and found no reference to this topic.

I've only seen pics of the MultiCam so far as it's very new. Eagle will be making gear out of the pattern. Along with some others that wern't named. Apparently the Army didn't choose it but instead went with the new ACU. Is the ACU with the grey/white colors for urban enviornments or is it for multiple AOs? Also how to solve the problem of your uniform being desert and your LBE being woodland or some other color. It seems that multicam gear and uniform solve this problem quite well both tactically and from an economic/logistics point of view. Avoiding having to issue multiple uni's.

There is also an article about MultiCam in the new issue of SWAT if you're interested.

Below are some pics for you to check out and also the company website. The pics in the diffrent enviornments are pretty amazing. The truly amazing thing is this is all one pattern.

Multicam in Woods.
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/W...Y%20SPRING.jpg

MultiCam in Desert before and after.
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/w...2002_r5_c9.jpg
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/DESERT%202.jpg

Multicam Rocky Desert before and after.
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/rockydesertA.jpg
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/rockydesertB.jpg

Multicam up close Rocky Desert.
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/rockydesertbig.jpg

MultiCam vs Woodland BDU.
http://www.multicampattern.com/img/w...2002_r3_c9.jpg

Attachment is pic of prototype gear from Eagle at this years SHOT show. Source is www.militarymorons.com
edit: Pic was to big. Cut down and repost in reply. Same source.

Company website:
http://www.cryeprecision.com/

Last edited by Student2501; 08-17-2004 at 13:19.
Student2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 13:05   #2
Student2501
Asset

Sorry guys couldn't get it to upload. If you go over to www.militarymorons.com he has it on his site. Worth a look.

Last edited by Student2501; 08-17-2004 at 13:16.
Old 08-17-2004, 13:23   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Student2501
Sorry guys couldn't get it to upload. If you go over to www.militarymorons.com he has it on his site. Worth a look.
It's that way for a reason, MM is here quite often actually.

Oh, and it turns out there's nothing new under the sun:Link

Looks like an interesting pattern, I still prefer regional patterns though, Better to use a toaster as a toaster and an Iron as an Iron than to try and make toast in permanent press mode.

JMO

Welcome aboard Student2501
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 13:37   #4
Student2501
Asset

Yeah I see your point on regional is better. You could take that one step further and say that realtree styles are the ultimate. Which they are for their particular enviornments. But the multicam does pretty well in all enviorns coupled with your LBE being same pattern. What's the point of wearing Desert BDUs with woodland LBE, you'll stand out bigtime. Woodland chem suits in OIF or the woodland LBEs in OEF come to mind. Or your unit or your self spending extra money/effort to duplicate gear in the required matching pattern.

Thats what makes multicam so interesting.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 08-17-2004, 13:45   #5
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Good points. Though even if the pattern changed today, it would be quite some time before all of the folks on the pointy end of things had all matching equipment. Though it would be nice.

Just my .02
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 13:58   #6
Student2501
Asset

Yeah it would take a while but the end result would be better than the Heinz 57 style we have now. It amazing how the Pentagon can find billions for certain high profile programs like the F-22/F-35 but can't get the guys on the ground the gear to make them more effective.

The new ACU is ahh interesting to say the least . I hope that grey and white is for the urban terrain and not for GP use.

Last edited by Student2501; 08-17-2004 at 15:26.
Old 08-17-2004, 14:38   #7
Razor
Quiet Professional

2501, if you do some more investigation, you'll find the ACU pattern isn't grey and white, but rather a combination of tan, light green and dark green. Before you out-and-out dismiss the uniform, I'd ask you let the folks that have some experience with living in a soldier's field uniform put it through its paces and give feedback.

As for RealTree patterns, put up a shirt or pair of pants against the desired background, then walk 150 feet away. What you'll probably find is that the 'pattern' is now a dark or light blob that stands out against the background. Camouflage isn't a printed pattern on fabric--its an art, and the more you learn about it and practice it, the less you'll rely on the latest manufactured widget to properly employ it.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 15:22   #8
Student2501
Asset

Razor,

The pics I found on the ACU appeared to be grey and white on the screen. I wasn't aware of the diffrent colors, only that black was omitted entirely.

The overall choices on the ACU I'm sure made sense to someone. You're right also in that it's better to let the guys testing it make the final determination. I was only expressing an opinion. Not trying to cause trouble. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

As far as the realtree goes I understand what you're saying about it turning into a blob. I wasn't trying to imply that realtree was the best for the military. The pics of the multicam in the field seem to not have that problem.

I don't think that the multicam is exactly a camo widget. It or any style of camo just satisfies the very basic need of breaking up the wearer's pattern. It just seems to do it in a really effective way compared to the current BDUs, based off the pics.
Old 08-17-2004, 16:05   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Its all irrelevant anyway after the first hour of humping the whole thing will be a wet, soaking mess the same color as whatever hill the wearer fell down last. Just get it dirty and it will be fine.

SOG guys killed more people than the plague wearing OGs and black spray paint.

Its a shirt and pair of pants, that's all.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 16:13   #10
Student2501
Asset

Doc

To funny and so true. What SOG did was/is really impressive. Hopefully Mr. Plaster will write more about them. Maybe more along the lines of the Dark Arts chapter in SOG. Really interesting.
Old 08-17-2004, 19:18   #11
Adam White
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Its all irrelevant anyway after the first hour of humping the whole thing will be a wet, soaking mess the same color as whatever hill the wearer fell down last. Just get it dirty and it will be fine.

AMEN!

I am tired of hearing bickering about camo patterns.

After being coated in dust or mud, with boots, kneepads, LBV, a weapon, etc - does the subtle underlying pattern chosen for the uniform REALLY make much of a difference.

Folks who seriously need to camouflage themselves will do so, using locally available materials. The sniper's Ghillie suit comes to mind, as does normal attempts to conceal positions, vehicles, hide sites, etc. with netting, vegetation, and such.

I sometime wonder if the people who debate this stuff have ever spent a day in the field.
Old 08-17-2004, 19:29   #12
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Thanks NDD !! I was with-holding until a voice of "REASON" entered !!

Having BTDT, you are correct. We also would decide from our overflights, what the veggies/terrain looked like and then set up our gear accordingly. Lots of dry bamboo, spray it tan, grey rocks, white, black and grey !! Also, SPRAY PAINT does not turn BLACK when the base cloth is soaked with SWEAT !!! It's PAINT !!

Later
Martin
Old 08-18-2004, 00:24   #13
Martin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Thanks NDD !! I was with-holding until a voice of "REASON" entered !!

Having BTDT, you are correct. We also would decide from our overflights, what the veggies/terrain looked like and then set up our gear accordingly. Lots of dry bamboo, spray it tan, grey rocks, white, black and grey !! Also, SPRAY PAINT does not turn BLACK when the base cloth is soaked with SWEAT !!! It's PAINT !!

Later
Martin
Doesn't that kill the breathing capabilities of the clothes?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 07:21   #14
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
Doesn't that kill the breathing capabilities of the clothes?

Thanks
We didn't paint them totally, just streaks and blotches to break up the outline/form.
Old 08-19-2004, 00:12   #15
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

smokey branch and multicam

Personaly, I found the Smokey Branch the most versatile pattern , and the smokey is very close from the multicam.I took many pictures, and I often bring a curved bicycle mirror, and in all the terrains/weathers I tried, the smokey was very effective.
I think the multicam is better than the smokey.
The Cadpat is the best for canadian SUMMER time, but is not effective at all during fall, winter, and even spring.The Cadpat is just TOO much green for anything else than summer.And it is usually too much dark also.The Marpat is a better choice I think.The new USArmy pattern is also better than the CadPat, because it looks like a used canadian cadpat. And in the field some people prefer to wear a used 'whitened' cadpat.
I prefer a pattern too much bright than too much dark, because it's easier to darkening (e.g. mud) than whitening.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 08-19-2004 at 13:44.
Desert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote