Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 06-21-2005, 14:03   #31
Dustin03
Guerrilla

well here is an update...changed some things around and took some time off over the weekend. Ran 3 miles and had very very little problems with my shins and when it came to swimming, changing up my breathing seemed to help out a lot. I wasnt gasping for air like a fish outta water.

Thanks again, and I am about to go on a short ruck (4 miles), I'll let ya know if I'm having any more problems.
Dustin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 14:39   #32
Razor
Quiet Professional

Broadsword, no offense, but did you read the first post in this thread? That's a really good start. I'm guessing the book that Warrior-Mentor wrote would be a great reference, too. There's no secret, no magic formula that will guarantee success, but we've already discussed tips and concepts here that can certainly help, if you're willing to put a little effort into finding them, and a lot of effort into preparing yourself with them.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 17:42   #33
Dustin03
Guerrilla

so there i was.......LOL, this girl i met at a bar the other night wanted me to stop by on my way to workout, so i did but I told her that I had to go very soon. We where sitting there talking and a voice popped in my head, it said "...women weaken the legs, Rock" I am so serious.

I just thought i'd mention this because often times it is very tempting to skip a workout because something else might look better, more fun, w/e. Dont let things get in your way of reaching your goals. If it's a woman and she isnt willing to put up with the fact that you have training to get done, maybe you need to have a long talk with her or kick her to the curb. Dont let a "fun night out with hte guys drinking" leave you so hungover the next day that you cant go workout. Set priorities for yourself and look at things from a "how will this help me get better" view.

Another thing I always say to myself is "Hooah never quiet". Air Force PJ trainies say this all the time. It's everywhere they go. It's simple, short, and those three little words can help get me through the toughest of ruck marches, or that last nagging set of pushups.

These where just some things on my mind, hope it wasnt outta line.
Old 06-21-2005, 17:57   #34
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin03

Another thing I always say to myself is "Hooah never quiet". Air Force PJ trainies say this all the time. It's everywhere they go. It's simple, short, and those three little words can help get me through the toughest of ruck marches, or that last nagging set of pushups.

These where just some things on my mind, hope it wasnt outta line.
You've got that one right - the boogers are NEVER quiet - and most of the time they never quit either. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 18:42   #35
Dustin03
Guerrilla

hey hey, im just a dumb redneck from the sticks of MS, you know that thur spelln aint our strong point
Old 06-21-2005, 19:06   #36
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon448
Jatx,
I'm actually more of a fan of bilateral breathing when you're even just working out which would force you to breathe every 3rd stroke, unless we're just having stroke counting issues which happens. But if you breathe consistantly to the same side you can either A)develop a hitch in your stroke which reduces effiency or B)put more stress on the off shoulder because when you breathe you typically push harder with the opposite arm so it increases the stress on the rotator cuff. Sorry I'm just getting involved in the swimming discussion now but I missed this topic earlier. Since my winter job is coaching high school swimming I figured I'd toss in my .02. If anyone has specific questions either making up a workout or stroke issues feel free to PM me.
Good points all around, Jon. I learned bilateral breathing to help me stay on course during really long ocean swims, but just never got into the habit of using it in the pool. Sounds like something to try, and my neck might thank me. Thanks!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 15:52   #37
Dustin03
Guerrilla

hey, since this thread is getting to be a big hit, what would you all say about posting notes of your workout you did, what you did, and advice or comments you have/need? I'll start:

rucked 4 miles in 56:47 without shuffling. shin splints still hurt like a mutha, feet held up well. Packing your ruck the right way makes ALL the difference IMO.

Gym time, WEDS are arms/shoulders. variety of exercises, stayed focused and pushed myself with some extra weight on the bars today. trying to put some meat on my bones for those team events, log/rifle pt.

PT:repeat 5 times, push-ups 40
crunches 25
sit ups 25
push-ups 20
flutter kicks 50
towl pull-ups 10

towl pull-ups are great for grip, upper body and forarms. a great sub. if ya dont have a rope to practice climbing.

tomorrow I'm gonna swim instead of run, to give my shins time to rest and recover. Gonna attempt the swim workout that was mentioned in a previous post. How often would you ice your shins?
Old 06-22-2005, 16:01   #38
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Dustin:

Admirable, but your marks need to be better. Bump the numbers by five per exercise each week.

You need to be hitting 80-100 perfect push-ups and sit-ups, under 7:00 miles for running up to six miles, and rucking under 14:00 miles in difficult terrain (deep sand, hot, humid, and uphill, after a PT Test) for up to 12 miles.

Your towel pull-ups may help build your arms, but a smart man climbs ropes with his legs. They are much bigger than your arms and have a lot more endurance.

Just my .02.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 16:47   #39
Dustin03
Guerrilla

WILCO sir, moving out accordingly. Also, this isnt my everyday routine, it changes from day to day. Only thing that stays the same is weight training, mons/weds/fri, doing legs/arms,shoulders/chest, back respectfully. I alternate running or rucking every day, but never the same 2 days in a row, and never run less then 2 miles. I swim on run days or swim to replace a run if my shin splints are enough to slow me down. finally i do sprint work on mondays and fridays. So basically the only thing that changes is the PT portion 6 days a week. But like I said, i will bump the numbers up each week.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:21   #40
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004
That's some advice (bumping the numbers) that I'll need to follow. I am wondering though, with regards to running miles, I do not have any access to treadmills or tracks at the moment to measure the distance I run. Instead, I go to a baseball field and run it really fast all the way from one end to the other, then jog back to recover, then run it really fast back down, etc....about how many times, on average, should I do this to develop the endurance to maintain a 7 min/mile pace for 6 miles?
You will not make a 7:00/mile pace by jogging at all.

Find a local school with a 440 track and run for time. Most schools have tracks.

Get a partner who is slightly faster than you and run with him.

Search the board here for additional running tips.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 06-23-2005, 10:29   #41
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Instead, I go to a baseball field and run it really fast all the way from one end to the other, then jog back to recover, then run it really fast back down, etc....about how many times, on average, should I do this to develop the endurance to maintain a 7 min/mile pace for 6 miles?
what you are doing is fartlek training...a good way to develop speed for endurance runners...not necessarily good for developing endurance...when done with a sadistic training partner (one with more endurance and speed than you) fartleks do a great job of developing the muscle between the ears...

a little light reading...

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fartlek.htm
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:34   #42
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
so the only track is about a 45 minute walk from here is the problem. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to walk it. It'll be good exercise. Thanks for the information.
jog over, do your workout, jog home...just my $0.02...the run over and back will be a good warm-up and cool-down, assuming the distance is around 2.5-3 miles...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:25   #43
Dustin03
Guerrilla

Quote:
Well, I have no friends to run with nor any car nor any bike, so the only track is about a 45 minute walk from here is the problem. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to walk it. It'll be good exercise. Thanks for the information.
Went to a bar last weekend with an old friend of mine who is in the reserves. he brought a buddy along who is in the nasty guard as well. Got to talking to his buddy and when he asked what I do with the national guard he was impressed. I told him about comming over to my unit. He said " i dont know if i'm cut out for that, but I would love to work out with you, i really need to get in shape" Now he has been at the gym right by my side every day this week, hanging in there with me.

Every time I go to the gym, i usually talk to somebody. You'd be surprised at how many people out there would be willing to help you out.

Now go make friends
Old 06-23-2005, 14:27   #44
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well, I have no friends to run with nor any car nor any bike, so the only track is about a 45 minute walk from here is the problem. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to walk it. It'll be good exercise. Thanks for the information.
Ruck over.

Deruck.

Run.

Reruck.

Ruck home.

Repeat as needed.

Do not run with the ruck, and I would avoid rucking down steep, irregular surfaces.

TR

Old 06-23-2005, 14:42   #45
Razor
Quiet Professional

Is there perchance a road nearby? You could always ask a family member/friend to drive you on the road, and you could jump out at selected intervals (based off the vehicle odometer) with some marking tape to put on a nearby tree/phone pole, or with spray paint to hit a couple rocks so you know how far you've gone, and when to turn around. You could do the same thing by borrowing a buddy's bicycle with an odometer. Get your pacecount for 100m (go use a local football field), then use that to measure distance. That'll be good practice for land nav, and give your mind something to focus upon besides pain or boredom. Go to mapquest.com and enter your address and a couple local addresses, then use the 'get directions' feature to tell you how far away they are (by road). In essence, find another way to solve your current unknown distance problem; there are plenty out there if you think about it.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote