Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-16-2015, 11:59   #16
Sigaba
Area Commander

MOO, assigning terms like "disorder" and "deviant" to individuals and groups who live their lives on their own terms sets the stage for others to do the same IRT matters such as gun ownership and even armed service.( Only a crazy person would need to own that many guns, or any guns at all. Only a madman would want a job that centers around violence.) As Foucault points out in History of Madness, Western civilization has a established a pattern in which the criminalization of a behavior is frequently preceded by it being defined as pathological.

Moreover, stigmatizing matters of mental health may work against the interests of veterans who need both institutional support and public understanding.

My $0.02/YMMV

FWIW, attached is the APA's write up of its shifting perspective on gender identity from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-V. It is my understanding that there's ongoing debate within the LGBTQ community IRT the implications of this shifting sensibility.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gender dysphoria fact sheet.pdf (292.9 KB, 0 views)
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:08   #17
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

^^^^^
As most academics do, you are over-complicating it. Its real simple:

XY chromosome = Male
XX = Female

So, if you are a male (see above), but think you are, or should be, a female, you have a mental problem.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:13   #18
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I've sometimes thought of myself as a 100,000 year old Neanderthal, (and I know I'm a homosapien sapien) but every now and then I have this urge to just grab the nearest rock and... well you can figure out the rest......
Old 07-16-2015, 12:16   #19
PRB
Quiet Professional

quote...

According to the American Psychiatric Association, until 1974 homosexuality was a mental illness. Freud had alluded to homosexuality numerous times in his writings, and had concluded that paranoia and homosexuality were inseparable. Other psychiatrists wrote copiously on the subject, and homosexuality was “treated” on a wide basis. There was little or no suggestion within the psychiatric community that homosexuality might be conceptualized as anything other than a mental illness that needed to be treated. And, of course, homosexuality was listed as a mental illness in DSM-II. (The DSM – Diagnostic and Statistical Manual – is the APA’s standard classification of their so-called mental disorders, and is used by many mental health workers in the USA and other countries.)

Then in 1970 gay activists protested against the APA convention in San Francisco. These scenes were repeated in 1971, and as people came out of the “closet” and felt empowered politically and socially, the APA directorate became increasingly uncomfortable with their stance. In 1973 the APA’s nomenclature task force recommended that homosexuality be declared normal. The trustees were not prepared to go that far, but they did vote to remove homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses by a vote of 13 to 0, with 2 abstentions. This decision was confirmed by a vote of the APA membership, and homosexuality was no longer listed in the seventh edition of DSM-II, which was issued in 1974.

What’s noteworthy about this is that the removal of homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses was not triggered by some scientific breakthrough. There was no new fact or set of facts that stimulated this major change. Rather, it was the simple reality that gay people started to kick up a fuss.

My comment: there is order and disorder.
Order is a male/female of a species mating to produce offspring.....Disorder is two males or females mating, there is a form of sex but not a natural order.

Last edited by PRB; 07-16-2015 at 12:19.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23   #20
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
MOO, assigning terms like "disorder" and "deviant" to individuals and groups who live their lives on their own terms sets the stage for others to do the same IRT matters such as gun ownership and even armed service
I'm not sure how you would describe willfully cutting off your penis as anything less than a 'disorder' or 'deviant.'

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23   #21
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
^^^^^
As most academics do, you are over-complicating it. Its real simple:

XY chromosome = Male
XX = Female

So, if you are a male (see above), but think you are, or should be, a female, you have a mental problem.
]IMO, the binary reasoning in your comment is highly problematic for two reasons. First, by applying this type of reasoning to an issue that SMEs think is very complicated, one leaves open the door for the same type of reasoning to apply other complicated issues. As an example, many people base their view of American national security policy on a simple metric like defense spending as a percentage of GDP or number of foreign countries to which members of the armed forces are deployed.

Second, by imposing a definition of who does and doesn't have a "mental problem" one risks alienating potential political allies. Anecdotally, I have noticed a number of Facebook users who use the celebrate pride ap also favor supporting AD service persons as well as veterans. If this cohort is put into a position where support for one group draws hostility from another group, which group will they choose?

Last edited by Sigaba; 07-16-2015 at 12:29.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:33   #22
tonyz
Area Commander

IMO some human behavior should be stigmatized...although apparently increasingly unpopular there remains a place for stigma in a healthy society. A complete breakdown of cultural norms..."everything is ok"...damn...what a mess.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 13:34   #23
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
]IMO, the binary reasoning in your comment is highly problematic for two reasons. First, by applying this type of reasoning to an issue that SMEs think is very complicated, one leaves open the door for the same type of reasoning to apply other complicated issues. As an example, many people base their view of American national security policy on a simple metric like defense spending as a percentage of GDP or number of foreign countries to which members of the armed forces are deployed.

Second, by imposing a definition of who does and doesn't have a "mental problem" one risks alienating potential political allies. Anecdotally, I have noticed a number of Facebook users who use the celebrate pride ap also favor supporting AD service persons as well as veterans. If this cohort is put into a position where support for one group draws hostility from another group, which group will they choose?
Uhhhhh.....what?
Old 07-16-2015, 14:10   #24
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
How many is many? I would venture to say that very few Americans think of national security as a percentage of any spending policy. I think it would be safer to say that the vast majority of Americans view national security as "what are we doing to keep the a-holes in check that mean to do us harm". I agree that is a simplistic view, but one in line with what I believe sinjefe pointed out correctly.

As for alienating potential allies, Should we make a practice of compromising our cultural norms in order to maintain alliances?
sg1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 14:42   #25
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Uhhhhh.....what?
He'd make a good politician....basically saying modify your beliefs according to popular support/polling.
Wouldn't want to piss off anyone for anything...there might be repercussions.
Old 07-16-2015, 14:57   #26
Box
Quiet Professional

In other words...
cow tow to the liberal elite or you will be blackballed into the gutter.

Winning an argument isn't enough for dirty hippy liberals, they must be certain that you submit to their way of thinking or else the battle WILL continue...

Just look and mr sulu's ludicrous statement about Clarence Thomas as proof.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 15:38   #27
Pete
Quiet Professional

I can see it now

A tranny doesn't tell anybody she is really a he.

She goes out for a hike in the wilderness, gets lost and dies.

Her picture (female) is posted around the area but nothing.

Years later her remains are found and they do a DNA check. "Was it Jane?" "No, it was some dude."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 15:52   #28
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
A tranny doesn't tell anybody she is really a he.

She goes out for a hike in the wilderness, gets lost and dies.

Her picture (female) is posted around the area but nothing.

Years later her remains are found and they do a DNA check. "Was it Jane?" "No, it was some dude."
C'mon 1st Gp guys......how many of ya got fooled...
Old 07-16-2015, 15:56   #29
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
]IMO, the binary reasoning in...
You are over thinking it. There is no binary reasoning. It is pure DNA.

IMO, if a man thinks he is a woman he is the same as the man who thinks he is a moose, both have deviant thoughts and neither should be around sharp objects or things that go bang or boom.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 15:59   #30
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
C'mon 1st Gp guys......how many of ya got fooled...
Uh, all of them?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote