Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 05-04-2013, 19:09   #16
JMART5
Quiet Professional

Appreciate all the medical advice. Ice helps. I also got a deep tissue massage which helped loosen the muscles. I stretch throughout the day. It's no longer constant. Hits late afternoon and at night. Ortho doc said if it doesn't go away he'll start me on physical therapy followed by MRI. Again, thanks for all of your suggestions.
Old 05-04-2013, 19:39   #17
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMART5 View Post
Appreciate all the medical advice. Ice helps. I also got a deep tissue massage which helped loosen the muscles. I stretch throughout the day. It's no longer constant. Hits late afternoon and at night. Ortho doc said if it doesn't go away he'll start me on physical therapy followed by MRI. Again, thanks for all of your suggestions.
JMART- I'm with you with this issue brother. I have been dealing with it for over 5 years now. All of the advice here is on point from my experience dealing with sciatica. I have a disc herniation at L5-S1. My road to treatment has been long and painful but I'll withhold my opinion on why.

Mis dos centavos...

First off, if you have access to any Thor3 PT's or facilities I would go see them ASAP. Being as flexible as you can right now is very important as well as core stability.

I bought an inversion table (You may be able to get one through the Army). It was probably the best thing I could have done for myself. I had to stop dead lifting, squating and cleaning weights. Now i use the machines for those movements instead. I found a chiropractor that has been great and when I'm feeling off, I go get an alignment.

The next best thing besides the inversion table has been deep tissue massages. I have noticed that if I get a massage about once a month, I have less issues.

There is probably a lot more I could add, but it seems like you are on track. Good luck with your recovery.

CH

*caveat, I am by no means an SME in back problems or medical professional. These are all experience based opinions...
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 19:57   #18
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

MOTRIN

Iv'e dealt for 1.5 yrs. with what I THOUGHT was sciatica. Toward the end of Dec. , 2012, I was taking 4 motrin qid (3200 mg.!) and that only made the pain just bearable. Bloodwork showed significant renal impairment - like 50%. Rheumatologist didn't know what to make of that until I told him how I was trying to cope with the pain (excessive ibuprofen use). Said to STOP taking the ibuprofen. X-rays showed severe osteoarthritis of L4, L5 & S1. Doctor wanted to start giving me cortisone shots. I said: "Hey Doc, I already take 8mg Medrol DAILY for the Rheumatoid Arthritis" (+ Methotrexate weekly). Asked him if I could try Cymbalta.
(Got tired of hearing the commercials crowing: "Imagine yourself with less pain!")

I know that Cymbalta (60mg daily) is an SSRI anti-depressant; but for some strange reason, has worked wonders for the pain in the lower back. I know that Cymbalta is no CURE for the severe osteoarthritis - it's apparently masking the symptoms; and it will apparently work until... when? That I don't know; but I can walk upright now and don't feel like I'm 80 yrs. old!