Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 10-18-2006, 13:48   #1
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Methamphetamine

There is a question in here and I've thought of the possible relevancy to you guys and gals who travel the world before posting this.

This last spring the head of our DEA stated that the global use of methamphetamine users is exceeding the combined numbers of cocaine and heroine users.

Bringing this closer to home and getting to the question:
I know a guy locally who as a world class weight lifter and coach works with young people in detention as a physical fitness trainer. He voiced his concern about meth use because there are some kids, former meth users, he can't get to understand even the simplest things and this is starting to deeply concern him.

He asked me if the damage done by meth use is something that can be healed or if once the brain is fried, it's always fried.

If (heavy) meth users stop using, does the brain recover?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 14:52   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Bill-
The organic changes to the brain caused by prolonged (or just excessive single dose) drug use, especially alkaloids, opiates and lysergines is generally not considered reversible - once brain cells are dead, they're gone. The brain can be repathed through intensive training/therapy - but the actual sections of the brain that are damaged will always be damaged.

Meth is especially evil in this respect due to the compounding effect of the chemicals used in manufacture, and the way meth affects the total nervous system. As a short non-scientific answer, meth attacks the higher thought centers and the 'control' centers (both voluntary and autonomic) of the brain.
Another effect of meth is the onset of psychosis in long term use, including bipolar disorders, straight depression, and hallucinatory/ paranoid disorders.
It's bad shit. Since these kids were (I suppose) heavy users at a young age, the effect is devastating, the brain may have ceased to develop, and there are probably mental and emotional components to the developmental retardation on top of the stated cognative issues.

Had Meth been the big thing in the 60's you'd have the term "meth casualties" instead of "acid casualties".

If I seem a bit in tune with this, it's because my older brother did this to himself - in his 20s, as a Marine (prior to drug testing) wit ha combination of LSD, pot, PCP, alcohol and the corrosion control chemicals he was exposed to in his job - my bet is the 10 hits of acid, 2 cases of beer and the dusted joints (according to him, nearly every night) did a great majority of the damage he's still trying to overcome decades later.

Your friend may be able to help one or two of these kids, the lightest of the former users, but even that is going to be an uphill battle.

God bless him for his efforts, but from experience I know how frustrating it is to see all that potential gone to waste.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR

Last edited by x SF med; 10-18-2006 at 14:54.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 15:49   #3
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Bill:

Nancy (Andreasen) would tell you that Meth usage can cause Schizophrenia! And that there definitely are examples of irreversible brain damage!
Old 10-18-2006, 20:39   #4
Bill Harsey

x_sf_med and CPTAUSRET,
Thanks. Our man will see this.
Old 10-18-2006, 23:00   #5
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Meth is evil incarnate.

Dealers and cooks should be shot, but that's just my opinion.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:37   #6
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

The people that I have seen that get addicted to meth generally don't kick the habit

They also don't last as long as the ones addicted to crack or some other drugs.

Meth users and paint huffers seem to have a lifespan of about 5 years once they get started
Ken Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:12   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
There is a question in here and I've thought of the possible relevancy to you guys and gals who travel the world before posting this.
Bill,

There was an indept one hour special just last night concerning Meth use in the US (I watched the whole episode). I'm sure it will be on again. Meth use started in the Pacific NW and in your state there are 10's of thousands of users. Below is a link for the show and well worth reading.

Side note, the US LEO's have put a huge dent in the US meth labs, but guess who has stepped up to the plate to deliver meth to the US market? Yup, our illegal mexican friends south of the border.....

TS

World's Most Dangerous Drug

Wednesday October 18 8P et/pt

Methamphetamine has caused a global drug epidemic, with more users than cocaine and heroin combined. Easy to obtain and relatively inexpensive, it is more powerful than alcohol, heroin or cocaine, and is considered one of the hardest addictions to quit. Check out NGC correspondent Lisa Ling's Blog on the world’s most dangerous drug!

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/...orer_drug.html
Old 10-19-2006, 11:14   #8
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

Bill, The following are excerpts from a UC Davis study.

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cg...l/15/3/317#ABS

"In methamphetamine-naïve humans, low doses produce a sense of heightened alertness, attentiveness, and energy. Higher dose intoxication produces a sense of well-being, euphoria, and enhanced self-esteem that can approach hypomania and grandiosity. Initially, sexual activity and pleasure may be increased, although longer use is associated with impaired sexual functioning. Appetite is suppressed. Adverse effects include restlessness, insomnia, bruxism, and excessive weight loss. Suspiciousness may occur and can develop into a full paranoid psychosis that is indistinguishable from acute paranoid schizophrenia. The psychosis may extend beyond the period of acute intoxication, and some experts believe that it may recur or become chronic, despite abstinence from drug use.10–12 A preoccupation with minutiae and details can arise, leading to compulsive repetitious behaviors. Skin picking is not uncommon and is, at times, accompanied by tactile hallucinations and delusions of parasitosis. Abrupt cessation of long-term use produces withdrawal, which can last for days and may be accompanied by dysphoria, irritability, and agitation.

"...recent studies have shown that long-term methamphetamine use is associated with impaired performance on a number of cognitive tasks.68–71 Volkow et al.71 tested a group of methamphetamine-dependent subjects and found that they exhibited performance deficits in both verbal memory and motor function. Simon et al.70 observed that the methamphetamine users in their study did not differ from controls on global Intelligence Quotient (IQ) measures, though they did perform significantly worse on tests of memory recall. The methamphetamine group in this same study had difficulty with tests that measured manipulation of information (i.e., Digit Span Task and Trail Making Part B), but had no problems on tasks that measured psychomotor speed separately (i.e., Trail Making Part A). The methamphetamine group also displayed deficits in abstract reasoning and task shifting strategies. In their study, Ornstein et al.72 reported that methamphetamine-dependent subjects displayed specific deficits in shifting categories on a computerized task shifting experiment when compared with chronic heroin users and nonsubstance using control subjects."

..."Clinically, methamphetamine-dependent individuals appear distractible and exhibit difficulties in sustaining attention."....
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:38   #9
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

"Volkow et al.71 tested "

I presume that is Nora Volkow, if so she is a friend.

Interesting factoid, she is Trotsky's Grand daughter.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:45   #10
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Bill:

You might find something of interest on this page! There is a link to Methamphetamine Abuse.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/about/welcome/Volkowpage.html
Old 10-22-2006, 17:58   #11
Koob
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
Meth is evil incarnate.

Dealers and cooks should be shot, but that's just my opinion.
Certainly a problem back there (NZ) from what I've seen. A shame that it has become so popular there in such a short time.
Koob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 17:54   #12
MAB32

My dealings with the "Meth" crowd has been sad to say the least. The ones that continue to use and/or cook seem to be simply lost. They are, for the most part, non-productive people and cannot possibly hold a job that entails any degree of concentration. The ones that we use to get that were "tweaking" for more than 14 days are extremely violent and adgitated. When they come down off of the stuff and you try and talk to them, you feel like you are talking to a juvenile. My worst fights have been with people who are on Meth and they are many times more violent than PCP crowd. "Cooker's" are simply dead men walking. They just don't know it yet. The above is just for those who constantly use and/or cook only. Just my .02
Old 10-26-2006, 19:53   #13
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koob
Certainly a problem back there (NZ) from what I've seen. A shame that it has become so popular there in such a short time.
In the last 6 or 7 years it's become big. Due ethnic Chinese organised crime mostly it seems and then home cooked stuff with the gangs.

The Police Association warned about it 10 or 15 years ago, too.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 20:10   #14
CoLawman
Area Commander

Bill, as you know, and as TS has stated the use of meth is epidemic and it is expanding at a rapid rate. You might recall that I became a parent again at the young age of 48 as a direct result of the twins mother being unable to kick the addiction. Not a complaint, it was a blessing, and hopefully a blessing for the twins.

Meth use is pervasive in all corners including Greeley, Colorado. You may have noticed the press conference regarding our taking down an international meth ring involving Mexican Cartels, and Gangs.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2...NEWS/110260165

Interesting fact is the direct connection to Illegal Mexican Aliens.

My personal opinion is that we can only impact the importation of methampetamine by strict enforcement of immigration laws. TS is absolutely correct, the American meth labs have been affected by the laws making it more difficult to obtain the precursors. But this created a market for Mexican meth which is produced in superlabs with a 97% purity, commonly called ICE. That type of purity and the decrease in cost to the consumer due to Walmart type monopoly of the market also contributed to the demise of American home labs.

DEA has conducted studies that indicate only 3% of meth users are successful in kicking the habit. Further DEA studies also indicate that 1 out of 10 people using this ICE will be instantly (and for the most part forever) addicted.

Ancillary considerations are the exposure of the children to the second hand smoke. No studies have been conducted to date.........but I will remain optimistic about my kids chances.

Meth has been directly linked to the increase in violence and homicide rate. Our last 10 gang homicides involved meth.

Meth use occurs in all segments of society, regardless of socioeconomic status.

Some of you have done extensive research on meth use and effect, or have personal knowledge of it's menace to our nation. Would you agree with my ranking of the threats to our nation:

1. Methamphetamine.
2. Illegal Immigration.
3. Islamo Fascists.

Rant off!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 20:24   #15
Bill Harsey

CoLawman, Thanks and your right on all points.

Oregon was a founder of and remaining leader in the industry of "entrepreneurial pharmacalogy".