Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 14:38   #1
jayjojay
Asset

Navy vs Army Retained Hardware Requirements

In the process of preparing my medical records for MEPS, with a metal plate on my wrist and full functionality, I’ve come across a number of forum threads on this site and others regarding retained hardware for orthopedic injuries and acceptance/disqualification across the different branches’ Special Operations Forces. It seems that the Army, in particular, is much more strict when it comes to retained orthopedic hardware (AR 40-501, 5-3, f.9.) for qualification for Airborne duty (requirement for SF), whereas the Navy is less strict when it comes to this same subject regarding the Naval Special Warfare/Special Operations qualifications (MANMED Article 15-105, 4.j.9.). The physical rigors are similar, why the distinction? Does the Army just have a larger influx of recruits and can be more selective? Is it as simple as a preemptive insurance claim defense?
Old 04-17-2013, 14:44   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjojay View Post
...SNIP...
Studies have shown that initial enlistees who have retained hardware become a liability in training at much greater nubers than those without retained hardware. Therefore the decision was made that it is generally not worth the headache or waste in resources and money.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Old 04-17-2013, 14:52   #3
jayjojay
Asset

That makes sense, but do you know why the Navy would be more open to such enlistees?
Old 04-17-2013, 14:57   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That makes sense, but do you know why the Navy would be more open to such enlistees?
Nope, never cared to ask anyone who might know.

Old 04-17-2013, 16:11   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Other than a few exceptions, life / duty requirements for the Navy are not near that of the Army.

Navy body fat standards are also significantly more lenient...why? Because they are in the Navy.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 04-17-2013, 17:25   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Navy body fat standards are also significantly more lenient...why? Because they are in the Navy.
What ever FLOATS you boat..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
Old 04-17-2013, 18:59   #7
jayjojay
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Other than a few exceptions, life / duty requirements for the Navy are not near that of the Army.

And that's really the essence of my question. I'm a civilian, no prior service, so I don't know first hand what you do, but from my understanding the physical stresses and rigors of a special operator in the Navy is similar to that of a special operator in the Army (atleast where the effects on an area of the body with retained hardware are concerned). If that's true why is the Navy more willing to take that risk on an enlistee than the Army?
Old 04-17-2013, 19:19   #8
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
And that's really the essence of my question. I'm a civilian, no prior service, so I don't know first hand what you do, but from my understanding the physical stresses and rigors of a special operator in the Navy is similar to that of a special operator in the Army (atleast where the effects on an area of the body with retained hardware are concerned). If that's true why is the Navy more willing to take that risk on an enlistee than the Army?
If you fail the quals in the Navy for Spec Ops you get to paint ships from end to end for the rest of your enlistment. If you fail in the Army, you go to the Infantry, combat arms, combat support. That is really oversimplifying the issue but it cuts to the chase.

Also I am not sure if you can join the Navy to go straight into "Spec Ops".
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
Old 04-17-2013, 21:13   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Why don't you ask the Navy?

I think you have received good answers here already.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51   #10
jayjojay
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Why don't you ask the Navy?

I think you have received good answers here already.

TR
I'm not understating or disrespecting the quality of the answers I received here by asking that question. I'm just trying to get as many details and as much information as I can while approach my own personal situation. I've inquired about this with some Navy medical personel, but the level of knowledge on this forum is high and with respect to proper preparation and attention to detail I'm hoping to understand as much as I can.
Old 04-18-2013, 16:46   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
<<SNIP>>.
The point is we are US Army SF guys, not NSW and therefore cannot speak for them. You are looking in the wrong place.

Navy recruiters and Navy MDs are who you should pose your remaining question to.

Topic closed

Closed Thread