Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 08-06-2012, 15:06   #16
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
Being from somewhere that doesnt have an award for battle injuries, I may not have a clear picture. However, I have always understood that one has to bleed to get a Purple Heart. Perhaps they should institute a new medal for PTSD. Purple Head?
From AR 600-8-22:

e. A wound is defined as an injury to any part of the body from an outside force or agent sustained under one or more of the conditions listed above. A physical lesion is not required, however, the wound for which the award is made must have required treatment by medical personnel and records of medical treatment for wounds or injuries received in action must have been made a matter of official record.

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 16:24   #17
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
S/Sgt. Donald J. Fawcett was a medic with MACV-SOG, CCC FOB-2 was killed in Vietnam on 07/03/1966.HE and the other personnel on the helicopter that crashed DID NOT RECEIVE THE PURPLE HEART MEDAL. The casualities were listed as Non-Hostile, Died while missing. The only casuality detail reported was "Air loss or crash over land. The first people to reach the crash site to recover the bodies was 5 days after the incident. Needless to say the recovery team did not perform an extensive investigation on the crash because of the AOR (Area of Recovery) was in HOSTILE Territory, Quang Tin Province. There were no wittnesses to the incident that could confirm any details of the crash.
My Question is; Should the personnel KIA in that crash been awarded THE PURPLE HEART MEDAL? Regard's, TK
TK

Then there are guys like kerry that gets 3(BS)Purple Hearts he never deserved....... Why?......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 18:17   #18
PRB
Quiet Professional

Life ain't fair Big T, just life. Kerry's PH's were purposely contrived and well thought
thru. He had a plan, he was the commander and had a small audience that he controlled...no one questions the boats Captain in the Navy...not unless there is huge dissent...and Kerry worked his crew like a master pupeteer.
Guys that do what it takes, but are not seeking awards, often do not see anything materialize in write ups....I've seen it over and over again.
If the C of Cmd is sharp they have follow thru...if not, stuff falls thru the cracks.
Have you ever seen a guy deserving of an award ask for it? Me neither.
Have you ever seen a guy seeking an award ask for it. Yup.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46   #19
Inflexible Six
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin21 View Post
What do you guys think about Purple Hearts for TBI patients?

A friend of mine was the vehicle commander of an M42 Duster that hit an AT mine outside Plieku...the hatch came down on his head, rang his bell, knocked him out. He got medevaced, woke up in an evac hospital and was awarded the Purple Heart. Physically injured as a direct result of enemy action. I got no problem with that.

But the award system in general is abused enough as it is without opening any more doors. We've all seen injustices in the awarding of decorations. I'll never buy the Purple Heart for PTSD. Ever. The award does not apply.

Last edited by Inflexible Six; 08-07-2012 at 07:01.
Inflexible Six is offline   Reply With Quote