Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 02-12-2005, 16:40   #1
18C4V
Quiet Professional

New badge for the Army

Army announces new badge

A staff report

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Army on Friday announced a new badge for soldiers who engage in active ground combat, according to a news release from the Pentagon.

The Close Combat Badge will provide special recognition to soldiers who are trained and employed in direct combat missions, similar to Infantry and Special Forces.

The Army will award the CCB to armor, cavalry, combat-engineer and field-artillery soldiers or corresponding specialties recognized as having a high probability to routinely engage in direct combat.

In March, the Army expects to release details about the badge. The badge should be available this fall through unit supply and also for purchase in military-clothing sales stores, the Pentagon said.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 17:57   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Isn't that was the CIB is for? Wonder what it looks like?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:01   #3
t-rex2025

From Black Berets to a new Combat Badge. I wonder what's next!
Old 02-12-2005, 18:14   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Cib

I wish I could remember the 1LT's name. He came to us by way of the Q course from 18th Airborne Corps. This was shortly after the Grenada operation. He had a CIB and a Corps patch. We said that that was a neat trick, how'd he swing that.

He told us flat out that he hopped a 130 haulin' ammo out of Pope that was going down there. He said he came back to Bragg the same day, walked into his S-! and turned in the manifest. Bingo, instant CIB and patch. He wasn't embarrassed at all about it and said that all the LTs up there were doing it. He was a little twitchy anyway and driffed off after his team time never to be seen again.

The CCB will become somewhat like the comabt patch, get of the transport and it's yours.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:21   #5
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

It will be just like the CIB: some guys will get it for doing good things, some will get it just for showing up in the AOR.

Deeds, not badges, matter.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 13:24   #6
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I wish I could remember the 1LT's name. He came to us by way of the Q course from 18th Airborne Corps. This was shortly after the Grenada operation. He had a CIB and a Corps patch. We said that that was a neat trick, how'd he swing that.

He told us flat out that he hopped a 130 haulin' ammo out of Pope that was going down there. He said he came back to Bragg the same day, walked into his S-! and turned in the manifest. Bingo, instant CIB and patch. He wasn't embarrassed at all about it and said that all the LTs up there were doing it. He was a little twitchy anyway and driffed off after his team time never to be seen again.

The CCB will become somewhat like the comabt patch, get of the transport and it's yours.

Pete

Right after Just Cause we heard a similar story about a Maj from the 7ID doing the very same thing to ger his CIB.

If I have read the req's for this new badge it is only going to certain MOS's and then they have to have been through the 2 week ground combat course and have been on patrol in the streets if Iraq/A-Stan. It does not look like this is just a "you were there" like the SSI-FWTS.
Old 02-13-2005, 16:27   #7
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Stirring the Pot

The Task Force supporting me in my AO is a Field Artilery TF. It consist of 2 FA companies that are used as infantry and 1 company/battery of support/fire support. These guys routinely patrol mounted and dismounted in search of contact with the insurgents. They perform about 80% of the security/cordon forces and 100% of QRF for my DA missions while advising my Iraqi counterparts. This task force has 1 platoon of infantry, all of which recieved a CIB for thier tour here. The Artillery guys that worked side by side with this infantry platoon did not recive a CIB, although performed the same duties.

I wear a CIB as well and dont want that to be freely handed out. The guys supporting my operations here, do the job of infantry but dont quailify for a CIB. I think this type of award, if given for troops commited to ground combat while not qualified as infantrymen is warranted. Sure it will be abused, but so has the CIB in the past, both in my time and most of yours. Honestly, I know several guys that still wear their EIB because it signifies more to them having earned it than simply beign awarded one for being in theater as an 11 series.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 17:50   #8
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

mffjm8509 and all: This has been an interminable battle since the beginning. For some the CIB/EIB have a meaning while for others it was and probably still is just another ticket career officers need punched for advancement. A new badge will probably do nothing to change that.

Just for fun, y'all may want to research the full criteria for awarding combat badges. It entails more than being just being in the AO.

As I said before, there are so many badges and ribbons now that they get lost in the crowd. I saw a picture the other day and the individual had four rows of ribbons. The highest was an ARCOM!!

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:55   #9
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Isn't that was the CIB is for? Wonder what it looks like?
NOPE!! The CIB was only for infantry. An exception was made for SF. People have been whining for years saying "It ain't fair". IMNSHO it cheapens the CIB and CMB.

But what the hell. I hear the Army is in contact with the Girl Scouts to adapt their sash to the Army Class "A: uniform to accomodate all of the badges and ribbons. After 15 years I can still count all of my ribbons (U.S.) on one hand.

misery is optional.

Old 02-12-2005, 19:28   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ah sure you're right Terry. I didn't read the part about the others gettin' it. Well, maybe this will put the CIB back up on it's pedestal where it belongs.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 21:33   #11
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

Maybe the CREMF badge is next.
Old 02-12-2005, 21:53   #12
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Sul
Maybe the CREMF badge is next.
There is enough of them. How about a strap with a wreath for strap hangers.

misery is optional.