Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 17:32   #166
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto11 View Post
Entire post.
Outstanding. Thanks.
__________________
"There you go, again." Ronald Reagan
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52   #167
1stindoor
Quiet Professional
 
1stindoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg
Posts: 2,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
And they can hit on the young, hot teachers...
Leave my wife out of this!
__________________
"Somebody should put that quote on a T-shirt:
Muslim phrase: "Aloha Snackbar!"
English translation: "Draw, Mother-F*cker!""
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12   #168
EverlACEting
Asset
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Stewart
Posts: 9
The reaction to gun laws by the people of the North Country

I apologize if this has already been posted in this thread or others like it. These videos (the first being a quick summary and the second being a longer version of the first) is the people's reaction to gun laws in the North Country ie Northern New York. If you have a moment, enjoy

shorter version : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTdhV...pOS9KQ&index=1

longer version : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol1SzjHPFGw
EverlACEting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 13:58   #169
orion5
Guerrilla Chief
 
orion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Driving the Texas highways
Posts: 672
The Rifle on the Wall: A Left Argument for Gun Rights

Outstanding piece in the Polemicist blog. I've been struggling with articulating my views on gun rights with friends, family and even strangers I've sat next to on planes. Not getting emotional or reacting to their irrational frothing, but sticking to the basic arguments and facts.

This is a pro-gun rights piece, but written by a New Yorker who considers himself a "left-socialist". He is not a gun owner, but believes in a full definition of the 2A. I could not have worded it any better than he did, and will borrow heavily for discussions with those in my AO.

(I didn't post the full blog here, as there are embedded videos and charts.)


The Rifle on the Wall: A Left Argument for Gun Rights [LINK]

Last edited by orion5; 02-07-2013 at 14:35. Reason: Add details.
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:53   #170
bluebb
Quiet Professional
 
bluebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kent, Wa.
Posts: 504
Quote:
The Rifle on the Wall: A Left Argument for Gun Rights [LINK]
Excellent argument!
__________________
Blue

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:59   #171
grog18b
Guerrilla
 
grog18b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canton, PA
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5 View Post
Outstanding piece in the Polemicist blog. I've been struggling with articulating my views on gun rights with friends, family and even strangers I've sat next to on planes. Not getting emotional or reacting to their irrational frothing, but sticking to the basic arguments and facts.

This is a pro-gun rights piece, but written by a New Yorker who considers himself a "left-socialist". He is not a gun owner, but believes in a full definition of the 2A. I could not have worded it any better than he did, and will borrow heavily for discussions with those in my AO.
I disagree with his premise that the right is a "political" right. It is a right, pre-dating any sort of Government. The intention of the 2ndA is simply a protection of that right. The right itself is not written. The reason it is not written is because once you write down a right, that then permits lawyers to dissect the right, just like people try to do with a simple statement like the 2ndA. That is the reason the right is not written as "We the people have the right to hunt." or "We the people have the right to use firearms to fight a corrupt Government." It is not written because it existed before the USofA. The simple right to have and use firearms for any legitimate purpose imagined. Even just for the hell of it if we want.
So, I disagree with the "political" reason for his description of why the 2ndA was needed when written. It is (IMHO) simply a statement insuring a right is not infringed upon. Also (IMHO) it is not doing its intended job. We are not allowing it to do its intended job.
Ever since 1934 the Government has been doing exactly what this statement (the 2ndA) prohibits. Infringing. Funny how almost every other right has been expanded. The speech right has been extended to the point of people being allowed to tell LEOs to fuck off, give them the finger, and so on. Say bad words on the radio, show tits and ass on TV, and so on and so on. The right to vote has also been expanded, from once only allowing property owners (white type, one each) to vote. That right has since been expanded to allow women, minorities, and such to vote. All this expansion is no doubt, good for the American Citizen. For some reason however, the right to bear firearms has been more and more restricted. I find this funny (not in a haha way) and sad at the same time. Why are we, as American Citizens allowing this to happen? Why are we not fighting this tooth and nail? Why did people allow this to happen in 1934 and onward?
Just some food for thought.
__________________
"...as far as rights go, I look at them this way. I won't tell you what kind of church to go to, you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own."

Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
grog18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 21:42   #172
tonyz
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 4,792
Dan Bongino: “In a society of wolves you DO NOT fight back by creating more sheep.”

http://www.therightscoop.com/awesome...eople-control/
__________________
The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:11   #173
tonyz
Area Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 4,792
A short story on gun control from our neighbors to the north.

REGISTERING FOR CONFISCATION

January 8, 2013

Brian Lilley gives an important warning to his American friends: Registration of firearms will lead to the confiscation of firearms.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/f.../2081848359001
__________________
The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:55   #174
orion5
Guerrilla Chief
 
orion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Driving the Texas highways
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
I disagree with his premise that the right is a "political" right. It is a right, pre-dating any sort of Government. The intention of the 2ndA is simply a protection of that right. The right itself is not written.
I agree with you on that. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Since 25-30% of gun owners are Dems, I would expect a lot more Dems to be sounding off about not wanting additional gun controls. I've tried googling for articles, blogs, etc from Dems arguing for gun rights. I can't find much. I did find the web site for "Democrats for Gun Ownership" [LINK].

No Democrat in the Senate has come out against Obama's gun plan. None. I don't view the Second Amendment as a Dem vs Rep issue but apparently we can't do what's right anymore, because it doesn't follow the party line.

As you say, grog18b, there are points in the Polemicist's "Rifle on the Wall" that might not fit my views, but I was delighted to find someone left of center who was willing to speak up for the 2A. I wonder if anyone is listening to him...
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11   #175
badshot
Guerrilla Chief
 
badshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 590
Excellent Letter.

In my personal view the Second Amendment's intent was for Military Style Weapons, current ones too. Still kicking myself for not buying that suppressed mp5 they had in the now closed Scottsdale gun shop in 03. Thought 10k was too much! I guess not being woken up by the ATF doing surprise visits to check on it is some consolation...nice

Can't imagine the uproar if the vacuous puttered with the First Amendment in the same manner they do with others, it couldn't possibly be self serving, could it?

An entertaining thought; current leaders draft a new Amendment, only four hundred pages long.

I fear the subtleties of complex, realistic, and profound thought combined with language craftsmanship are long gone from our elected leaders, and has been replaced with let's do something...whatever it is, we'll know what's in it when it is passed...
__________________
Δεν είμαι άξιος του σταυρού του Ιησού οπή, Andreas
Denial and inactivity prepare people well for roles of victim and corpse
badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35   #176
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshot View Post
I fear the subtleties of complex, realistic, and profound thought combined with language craftsmanship are long gone from our elected leaders, and has been replaced with let's do something...whatever it is, we'll know what's in it when it is passed...
'Fundamental transformation' means destroying the basis. Doesn't require any more subtle, complex, realistic or profound thought than does using an ax to chop down a tree.
__________________
"There you go, again." Ronald Reagan
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24   #177
Trapper John
Quiet Professional
 
Trapper John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto11 View Post
Entire Post
This is excellent and sums up the problem entirely! Thank you for posting this.
__________________
Honor Above All Else
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58   #178
sinjefe
Quiet Professional
 
sinjefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
A short story on gun control from our neighbors to the north.

REGISTERING FOR CONFISCATION

January 8, 2013

Brian Lilley gives an important warning to his American friends: Registration of firearms will lead to the confiscation of firearms.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/f.../2081848359001
And that is why I will always practice civil disobedience when it comes to registering.
__________________
"Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag, puke, piece 'o shit, Private Pyle, or did you have to work at it?" - GySgt Hartman
sinjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 14:38   #179
badshot
Guerrilla Chief
 
badshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
'Fundamental transformation' means destroying the basis. Doesn't require any more subtle, complex, realistic or profound thought than does using an ax to chop down a tree.
Good point...fools still have to understand it
__________________
Δεν είμαι άξιος του σταυρού του Ιησού οπή, Andreas
Denial and inactivity prepare people well for roles of victim and corpse
badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:12   #180
pcfixer
Guerrilla
 
pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
I disagree with his premise that the right is a "political" right. It is a right, pre-dating any sort of Government. The intention of the 2ndA is simply a protection of that right. The right itself is not written. The reason it is not written is because once you write down a right, that then permits lawyers to dissect the right, just like people try to do with a simple statement like the 2ndA. That is the reason the right is not written as "We the people have the right to hunt." or "We the people have the right to use firearms to fight a corrupt Government." It is not written because it existed before the USofA. The simple right to have and use firearms for any legitimate purpose imagined. Even just for the hell of it if we want.
So, I disagree with the "political" reason for his description of why the 2ndA was needed when written. It is (IMHO) simply a statement insuring a right is not infringed upon. Also (IMHO) it is not doing its intended job. We are not allowing it to do its intended job.
Ever since 1934 the Government has been doing exactly what this statement (the 2ndA) prohibits. Infringing. Funny how almost every other right has been expanded. The speech right has been extended to the point of people being allowed to tell LEOs to fuck off, give them the finger, and so on. Say bad words on the radio, show tits and ass on TV, and so on and so on. The right to vote has also been expanded, from once only allowing property owners (white type, one each) to vote. That right has since been expanded to allow women, minorities, and such to vote. All this expansion is no doubt, good for the American Citizen. For some reason however, the right to bear firearms has been more and more restricted. I find this funny (not in a haha way) and sad at the same time. Why are we, as American Citizens allowing this to happen? Why are we not fighting this tooth and nail? Why did people allow this to happen in 1934 and onward?
Just some food for thought.

I agree with you on all the post, Most excellent thinking. Especially the RED
portions. "salute"
pcfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:07.



Copyright 2004-2022 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies