Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 08-21-2004, 10:04   #1
geronimo
Asset

Federal expanding full metal jacket

Any thoughts on this new round.

I have read some stuff about how it's supposed to expand more reliably in any material than a hollow point since there is no cavity to plug. I've never tried it myself, but was thinking about grabbing some to play with.
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 15:59   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

the only thing I've seen on that round is from www.ammolab.com
As far as realworld ballistic profile, I've never dealt with one in the human body and that's how I like to judge bullets...by their human tissue ballistic profile. I'll put out a 'feeler' on our trauma center web site to see if anyone has operated on a patient with one of these rounds but I'll bet not......at least not yet anyway.
There are alot of other great rounds out there unless you live in certain cities/counties/states that maight regulate carry ammo.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 16:14   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I have wanted to look at these since I started reading about them a couple of years ago, but thus far, I haven't even seen one of them in person. They sound similar in theory to the Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball ammo. Intended to function reliably in weapons that may have difficulty feeding Hollw point ammunition.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 22:23   #4
geronimo
Asset

I've been running Federal Hydra-Shoks for several years but I'm thinking more and more that there are better rounds out there. (especially after seeing the posts made by SS)

I got a chance to fondle these rounds at the range one day and two cops who were there were singing them praises. That being said I haven't heard of a single large police dept. who uses these rounds. I am really curious if they will stand up to the hype.
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote