Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-27-2022, 06:54   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Running out of Stingers??

We haven't built/bought Stingers in 18 years??

This is very scary.

What do we have as an alternative man-portable surface-to-air weapon?

Quote:

WASHINGTON: In the past two months, the United States has sent more than 1,400 Stinger anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine, but replacing the aging weapon system will require Raytheon Technologies to redesign electronics in the missile and seeker, Raytheon CEO Greg Hayes said today.

“We’ve been working with the DoD [Department of Defense] for the last couple of weeks,” Hayes said during an earnings call. “We’re actively trying to resource some of the material. Unfortunately, DoD hasn’t bought a Stinger in about 18 years. Some of components are no longer commercially available, and so we’re going to have to go out and redesign some of the electronics in the missile of the seeker head.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/04/...HMgt9LZ2PVHQSE

Quote:

US Army initiates plan to replace Stingers with next-gen interceptor
By Jen Judson and Joe Gould
Thursday, Apr 7, 2022

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army has launched an effort to replace Stinger missiles with a next-generation interceptor for Short-Range Air Defense capability as the aging weapon system heads toward obsolescence, according to a solicitation recently posted to the government contracting website Sam.gov.

The request for information to industry for a new surface-to-air missile for the Army’s SHORAD system comes as the Pentagon has been sending Javelin and Stinger missiles to Ukraine to help it fight the ongoing Russian invasion. But even as the Army considers that version of the Stinger obsolete, senior defense officials are discussing with industry how production might be ramped up.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/202...n-interceptor/

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:07   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

The USA has been 'fighting the last war' for close to 200 years now. why do we need stingers? There's no air threat over Afghanistan, Iraq, or Syria.
There's Russians with planes in Syria, but they're our friends - right?

Besides - that money has been needed elsewhere - how else can we afford to hire diversity counselors.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:22   #3
JimP
Quiet Professional

Box....Box....Box. Shame on you!! Shame!! "Stinger" is obviously a thinly veiled omage to perpetuating the male patriarchy. We cannot have a weapons system that is triggering to our GILBERT friends. Stinger...?? Why don't we just call it the flying penis!!?? Come on Man!!!

We need to take the money that we would use to perpetuate such symbology and use it to promote self-healing and gender dysphoria issues. Do you know how many Addadicktome's or Loppadickoffame's we could give to our fine young Soldiers if we just cancelled that horrible perpetuation of male toxicity?

We could probably lure Swoop out of the closet for a coupla whacks and tucks here and there. (Always wondered about that boy...)
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 17:16   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

You two are killing me, LMAO
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 17:25   #5
Penn
Area Commander

LOL, like smiling tears, waiting for the rpy swoon.....
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 18:58   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Box....Box....Box. Shame on you!! Shame!! "Stinger" is obviously a thinly veiled omage to perpetuating the male patriarchy. We cannot have a weapons system that is triggering to our GILBERT friends. Stinger...?? Why don't we just call it the flying penis!!?? Come on Man!!!

We need to take the money that we would use to perpetuate such symbology and use it to promote self-healing and gender dysphoria issues. Do you know how many Addadicktome's or Loppadickoffame's we could give to our fine young Soldiers if we just cancelled that horrible perpetuation of male toxicity?

We could probably lure Swoop out of the closet for a coupla whacks and tucks here and there. (Always wondered about that boy...)
Ok, you have the creds (on my shelf in the library). If Box won't write the damned book, maybe you could just collaborate. Or you just do it & have him write the forward, sight unseen.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:22   #7
JimP
Quiet Professional

In fairness, I've been pushing his buttons for a couple of years to write a book but he keeps telling me to STFU and quit riding his dick (kinda-sorta).

He is the master and I am not ashamed to admit it. But...I may have to pen one here at some point. One of the funniest books I read a few years back was: "People I'd Like To Punch In The Throat." The wife turned me onto it as she'd be giggling all night reading it. About a woman just going about her day and how ordinary things just piss her off.

I thought I could write the military equivalent and will do so pending Box's final declination of authorship.

Now if I could get him to write a forward....man, that would be legend!
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 17:19   #8
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
One of the funniest books I read a few years back was: "People I'd Like To Punch In The Throat." The wife turned me onto it as she'd be giggling all night reading it. About a woman just going about her day and how ordinary things just piss her off.
Must have. Just ordered. Looks like the author has a blog.

Would buy that book if you write it!
Old 05-03-2022, 06:40   #9
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Great!...One to add to the list. I would add, "Sh*t My Dad Says," by Justin Halpern.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 23:06   #10
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
Great!...One to add to the list. I would add, "Sh*t My Dad Says," by Justin Halpern.
That’s a funny ass book!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote