Old 11-17-2021, 22:35   #886
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Using the old adage "One is none, two is one," I added a manual pump to our water well:
A very wise move for those who can do so.

Congrats.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 23:03   #887
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
A very wise move for those who can do so.

Congrats.

TR
Thanks, TR. The best part is that the original well was drilled to 265'. The manual pump went down to 154'. We have a lot of water under us. We were never really sure until now.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:34   #888
7624U
Quiet Professional

Bump

Because this Thread is very relevent and needs to be updated with the current situation.

My new projects for this spring are root cellar and expanding the green house

Most my wood cutting is done for next year just need to finish splitting and stacking should have two years worth by the time is am finished running out of places to stack under my shed.....so I am going to start round stacking like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFPZxLuM5jo
but under a large pine tree for the cover it offers will see how it works.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:57   #889
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

Went solar; not to be green, but because of caring for aged in-laws and wife's medical condition; 150% and 2 batteries. Also had a connection for a portable duel fuel generator installed, 13000Kwh, will run the whole house including air con and heating and charge the batteries if the panels are rendered incapable.
Yes, I have been buying larger and more propane.
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 19:04   #890
Badger52
Area Commander

Having a hard time finding canning supplies?

Interesting article, and yet another example of what happens when Giant Corp. buys up small niche supplier, who gets lost in the big ocean.

Quote:
Last month I sent off my seed order for the coming season and began wondering how I was going to store my harvest from the garden. Was I going to be able to find canning lids this summer?

Canning jar lids have been the most long-term and perplexing shortage of the pandemic's past two years. Shortages began with toilet paper, which eventually got resolved, moved on to such odd scarcities as no fruitcake mix for Christmas 2020 (which mysteriously reappeared in mid-summer 2021), and even some types of Girl Scout cookies this winter.

But since the summer of 2020, when supposedly everybody in America was staying home, planting garden and canning produce, lids for canning jars have remained in short supply.
Lois Thielen

This was understandable during the first several months of the pandemic until the canning lid suppliers could catch up with the unprecedented demand. But the scarcity of canning jar lids didn't change throughout the pandemic. Consumers kept wondering why there there were so few lids available and why they became so expensive.

What consumers didn't know was that canning lids (around since 1884) and canning jars (around since 1858) are no longer being made by Ball and Kerr, the two big manufacturers of American canning supplies. A few years before the pandemic, these companies had sold out to a mega-corporation called Newell Brands.
Full article by Lois Thielen at the SC Times here.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote