Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 10-26-2017, 09:21   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Ear Protection..

I think it's about time to review the current offerings for active hearing protection.

The last time we talked of protection, Sordin and Peltor had the top entries. Probably still do,, but there are new models and competitors..

ref: I want electronic ear protection, 2010

My Peltor 7S' are getting aged, still work, but I'm thinking xmas list..

I'm interested in the new electronic in-ear buds.
Are they as good as muffs?
Can they be stacked with active muffs?

??????

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 13:30   #2
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Inquiring minds want to know! I’ve had similar thoughts especially with the earplugs like Peltor TEP-100’s!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 22:40   #3
G2squared
Auxiliary

Peltor Ear buds TEP-100 package

I have spend too much time shooting with standard military plugs and foam plugs due to "equipment restrictions". aka, this is what you're issued so it's what you'll use.
When I grew up and started shooting away from the military or with the AMU, I've always used a double plug setup. Early on it was foam plugs then custom silicone plugs with Dillion/Peltor electronic amplified muffs over them. The Dillon offering was the only ones that I felt had enough volume and fit well enough on my ears to offer additional protection and effectively amplify normal sounds so I could hear the things that mattered to me like normal conversation, range commands and people walking up behind me(not if they intended to be quiet, but normal walking).
I decided to get a pair of the TEP100s after seeing them at Shot Show one year and got the cased set that includes the charging waterproof case that protects and recharges the ear buds with a couple AA batteries. They came with several ear pieces, foam and silicone. The foam were advertised to do the most sound reduction and silicone a little less. They have 2 powered on volume settings, low and high.
So in practice I didn't like the fairly low rating of the ear buds alone. Sound amplification was great but it was a bit too much noise during shooting. Other machinery operation they have been great. I think for impact type noises then you would want more, like blacksmithing/hammering on steel and shooting.
Then I tried them under a set of regular muffs. I though it did effectively reduce noise and it was a great experiment in amplifying white noise. Sounded kinda like listening to a sea shell... didn't help hearing anything outside of the muffs. And if they are low profile muffs, then the ear bud will be pushed into your ear (potentially dangerously but at a minimum uncomfortably).
IMHO, it depends on what your intended use is, double plugging is a no go for me with these, but if you aren't up close to the shooting, they are great or if you are operating heavy machinery it's the perfect equipment. If shooting though, I still prefer an electronic muff over in ear plugs.

Mel

FWIW, Forgot to add that these will insert into the Surefire earpieces and other similarly sized plugs with holes in them so you're not stuck with just the ones Peltor makes.

Last edited by G2squared; 10-31-2017 at 22:48. Reason: Added Information I forgot
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 20:27   #4
275RLTW
Asset

Get a shooting focused set. Yes they are much more comfortable than over the ear muffs. Sound reduction is equal and good sound amplification depends on how much you are willing to spend. $250-400 range should cover your needs unless you want integrated comms. I prefer custom molded ear pieces as it completely seals up ear canal and block all waves (think pressure waves from explosive breaching) going into ears. Bose can fit them with electronics for $300 or so to give you good, custom fit ear pro.
275RLTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:55   #5
JimP
Quiet Professional

I DON'T NEED EAR PLUGS THOSE ARE FOR SISSIES. ahh the good old days.[/QUOTE]

I can't hear you due to the ringing in my ears...... What the hell are cicadas doing out in November?
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:22   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I can't hear you due to the ringing in my ears...... What the hell are cicadas doing out in November?
Ft Sill, OK. Summer of 68,, temps 95-105 deg

105MM & 155MM Range,,

DI "you lose those earplugs and you'll be on KP FOREVER"

ME " Sorry Drill Sgt, I can't hear you for the ringing in my ears"

And they still ring...

One size fits all,, They would pop out because of the shock wave and get lost in the fine dust, on the range..

Lots of empty little containers..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ear plugs.jpg (30.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ear plugs2.jpg (240.9 KB, 12 views)

Old 11-02-2017, 18:51   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Yeah! I was a hard assed RANGER!!!! I needed to hear my squad and give them orders. I could take the rifle reports NO PROBLEM! As hard as I was, it couldn’t stop the back blast of an AT-4! Now when someone mentions “ringing” or “tinitis” I hear it!

Ruptured eardrum with midrange nerve damage.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:10   #8
Joker
Quiet Professional

AT-4s? Ha! 90s & 106s RRs, breeching charges from 1-meter away, blah, blah... What? Stop just moving your mouth and speak up!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:29   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Ft Sill, OK. Summer of 68,, temps 95-105 deg

105MM & 155MM Range,,

DI "you lose those earplugs and you'll be on KP FOREVER"

ME " Sorry Drill Sgt, I can't hear you for the ringing in my ears"

And they still ring...

One size fits all,, They would pop out because of the shock wave and get lost in the fine dust, on the range..

Lots of empty little containers..
I still use mine and the plugs have a dummy cord on them.

I have 5 or 6 of the containers in a box somewhere in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ep.jpg (28.1 KB, 9 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45   #10
rsdengler
Area Commander

I was looking at Walker's Game Ear® Razor Series Ultralow-Profile Muffs because they are not bulky. And I don't have a "big" head...LOL..Any suggestions? Because I am about to buy my gun and I need hearing protection. Man, I am excited...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50   #11
JimP
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
I was looking at Walker's Game Ear® Razor Series Ultralow-Profile Muffs because they are not bulky. And I don't have a "big" head...LOL..Any suggestions? Because I am about to buy my gun and I need hearing protection. Man, I am excited...
One thing I have done of late and I insist upon it with my little man - is to double up on the hearing protection. I use the scrunchy foam plugs first and then the electronic muffs over them.

Surefire has a nifty little gadget out that looks promising although I have not heard many reviews. But, you cannot be TOO careful with your ears. Like the sun, most of the damage occurs when you are young. As you get older you can't regenerate the "stuff" internal to the ear that you could when younger. That's when the accumulation over the years hits you. All of a sudden, you're in the forest listening to cicadas.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:09   #12
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
One thing I have done of late and I insist upon it with my little man - is to double up on the hearing protection. I use the scrunchy foam plugs first and then the electronic muffs over them.

Surefire has a nifty little gadget out that looks promising although I have not heard many reviews. But, you cannot be TOO careful with your ears. Like the sun, most of the damage occurs when you are young. As you get older you can't regenerate the "stuff" internal to the ear that you could when younger. That's when the accumulation over the years hits you. All of a sudden, you're in the forest listening to cicadas.
Thanks, I will take a look, and I always have spare earplugs around the house even though for some reason I cannot stand to shove them in my ears.. I'm always afraid I cannot get them out again..Ha

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 11-03-2017, 06:25   #13
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks, I will take a look, and I always have spare earplugs around the house even though for some reason I cannot stand to shove them in my ears.. I'm always afraid I cannot get them out again..Ha
I know the feeling..

I had the same problem..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNvcysI4zwE&t=39s

Old 11-03-2017, 07:38   #14
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Get the kind that a) are tapered on one end and b)have a line/cord attached. You should also try different brands as I've found some fit into my ears better than others. I've probably got about 10 different ones in my range bag and equipment bins.

Also, I'm in agreement with doubling up plugs and electronic muffs. The first time you're next to someone shooting a large caliber handgun or a rifle with a muzzle break you'll be glad you have both.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:47   #15
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Get the kind that a) are tapered on one end and b)have a line/cord attached. You should also try different brands as I've found some fit into my ears better than others. I've probably got about 10 different ones in my range bag and equipment bins.

Also, I'm in agreement with doubling up plugs and electronic muffs. The first time you're next to someone shooting a large caliber handgun or a rifle with a muzzle break you'll be glad you have both.
Thanks, yep don't want any surprises.... I like the "line cord", that way I have something to tug on in case it gets stuck...Pull...POP...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita