Old 09-01-2017, 20:30   #841
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
The DFW area was in full scale panic mode yesterday, with Google phone alerts telling people to get gas, along with news reports showing 5 lanes x 15 deep at Costco. There were runs on food too. Some stations got replenished overnight but most I saw today still had no gas. Some people didn't come into work today because they had no gas.
I think it's induced panic. North Texas fuel comes from Ponca City, OK. Huston's product is pipelined to SE US and east coast. IIRC, most of Texas refined fuels comes from OK.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 21:52   #842
frostfire
Area Commander

http://www.itstactical.com/intellico...ricane-harvey/
came across a good AAR for not only responder but those awaiting rescue. I went to Alabama once and twice to New Orleans after Katrina. I wished I had read this AAR

Also from the same site is preparedness if caught in a mob
http://www.itstactical.com/intellico...rban-uprising/
Move at right angles to the mob sounds like a logical tips.
Anyone here who've been caught (prepared or unprepared) in the midst of an urban uprising care to share their lesson learned?

I lived through a city/province wide ethnic cleansing riot in the 90's. As ignorant as I was, it was by sheer grace I survived. It did not compute in my head what was going on or the scale until few days later. Now I truly appreciate the mob mentality and how you can be seen as their cause of grievance just for being there and look "different"

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:35   #843
LarryW
Area Commander

It's hard to develop a brand new mindset quickly without making some stupid mistakes. Preparation both mentally and physically isn't something you can put off to the last minute. Important to have water, food, meds, and a full tank of gas (all the critical stuff) as a matter of habit. Also critical is to know how to get out of Dodge on routes that won't be choked by the hoards. If you choose to bug in (shelter in place) or bug out don't wait until the last minute to make your decision. The recent horror stories of traffic jams, no gas, and an approaching calamity should be vivid reminders. That said, it's not wise to exhaust your time worrying about things that probably won't happen. Obsessing is not planning. I live in a quiet rural town, but well within the driving range of the potential maniacs of DC. Being ready for the great whatever is a matter of course.

This is good gouge, frostfire. Thanks for sharing the post.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:16   #844
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Move at right angles to the mob sounds like a logical tips.
Anyone here who've been caught (prepared or unprepared) in the midst of an urban uprising care to share their lesson learned?
Unprepared. Was learning new 35mm camera & developing at the craft shop, so I was shooting boatloads of B&W. Encountering a little dust-up in the afternoon near the Farben Bldg. & found myself behind a police line while a bunch of commie-supported students played around. Students did an envelopment on the Polizei and I found myself on the wrong side of the lines. As I ducked down behind a retaining wall to change film an officer came leaping over to crack my head & I can only assume he thought I was preparing something to throw. He put a nice dent in the camera body I sacrificed to save my skull as I screamed "WTH!", then a few seconds later actually said "Excuse me" in English. I grabbed my shit & squirted out the side just as the place went full sporty with lots of CS and water cannon.

Simple lack of situational awareness & not keeping my head on a swivel. The movement at right-angle to the 2 jaws of the closing vice was done instinctually, not because of any tactical acumen on my part - but it worked.

(I got some great prints out of it, but the CBR NCO said that my exposure didn't count for recurring mask test - it does clear the sinuses though.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:30   #845
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

^^^all remember if you get caught up in a massive movement of the mob you are going to have to go with them while sliding to the side (edge) before making your right angle exit.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 17:41   #846
tonyz
Area Commander

Does anyone have experience with this app (Voxer) - specifically for communicating with clan for/during emergencies?

Interested in thoughts, observations, usefulness, experiences.

Features
• Walkie Talkie and Messaging
• Built for iPhone, Android, and Web
• One-on-One or Group Chats
• Hands-Free [PRO]
• Team Management [PRO]
• End-to-End Encryption

https://voxer.com/plans-and-pricing

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 21:05   #847
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Does anyone have experience with this app (Voxer) - specifically for communicating with clan for/during emergencies?

Interested in thoughts, observations, usefulness, experiences.

Features
• Walkie Talkie and Messaging
• Built for iPhone, Android, and Web
• One-on-One or Group Chats
• Hands-Free [PRO]
• Team Management [PRO]
• End-to-End Encryption

https://voxer.com/plans-and-pricing
We use Zello, which is the same. Works fine if the other folks know how to use HTs.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 21:32   #848
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
We use Zello, which is the same. Works fine if the other folks know how to use HTs.

Pat
Thank you Pat.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 20:25   #849
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

I Monitered Zello on social media and in zello. My AAR

https://concisemagazine.wordpress.co...g-one-another/

Lessons learned from Irma Rescue channels on Zello.

From monitoring many Zello emergency rescue accounts, I have learned that this could be a great tool for the future for people in disaster situation (If they have Internet capability)

I thought I would share a prep list for those Whom desire to assist their fellow man in tumultuous times.

Zello has provided a service that allows one to talk to a group or privately (Even encrypted) with Whom they like to. In Harvey, it was used for those Whom needed help or rescue when their primary Civil Support services were not available.

In disaster, you do not know what kind of communications you will have. Cell towers, main line phone lines, cable service, Internet, Satellite communications, and even 911 could fail to be available. It could leave one with only CB and HAM operators to rely upon.

During and after these storms, many were without such ability and the Interet was the only way to communicate. Hence Zello filled the void. For may, they just wanted to chat with others to not feel so alone. For some, it was the only lifesaving tool they had.

Some ISP Providers like Spectrum and Xfinity did, to the best of their ability, provide emergency free Internet service where they could. Kudos to you for that.

Having introduced the context, I wanted to present you with a Prep list that presents you with an avenue on how you may contribute, and how to keep out of trouble with the Internet of things.

1.First mission is information flow. Inform and coordinate with Local, State, and Federal Authorities prior to sending someone into any situation – if at all possible. For dispatchers, phone is the finest weapon you have.

As a Civilian, you are merely and augmentation service or force. The State and Local Officials are your primary support group. In cases they are over-loaded, they may ask one of your groups for help but that rarely, if ever, happens. It is question of Liability few Government officials will want to address in the fog of a real event.

Duplicate calls, duplicate rescues, and mass confusion can lead to life threatening situations if the channels are repetitive. I learned some of what I tell you here from the Cajun Navy as they have been at this awhile. They have tried to provide an example of Private Civil Augmentation.

You have to be “Trusted” to talk on their network channels which means, you fill out the form to volunteer. After which, you get passwords. Being a Non-Profit, they would like to maintain their 5013C status. This means accountability must be up-held. In fact, your information has to be cleared through the Department of Homeland Security.

2. Verification. I observed several possible pranks or traps coming over channel. Once you verify it is an actual person in an actual flooded area that does not intend to rob you or worse. There are always a few bad faith calls.

Which leads us to

3. Privatization of service. This is set by Infrastructure Categories.

4. Channel control. You will want separate channels for functioning separation of information. Many rescue groups have a main chat room where everything is handled. This is not Kosher. All the jackals and jokers come about in an Emergency situation not recognizing that If you do interfere with a rescue, you may be sent to Prison.

You never have enough dispatchers

Take your calls separate from the room with friend request to verify and if they are pranking, kick them out of the room

Have separate, encrypted channels for private information.

Never let people know where supplies, water, food, or gas is going over public channels. This is how you get raided. Also Coordinate with local Authority when shipping such things.

Try to moderate your volume to %80 percent. Some calls you can barely hear, some will wake everyone up in your neighborhood.

Keep weather checks and regular info on other channels than your work channels. Anything you can get from weather channel or AM radio in your car. This information may be useful on the ground for rescuers, but it is of no use for a rescue channel when people are asking for a weather check every 3 minutes.

Keep the channels clear. Block and report abuse. Separate the chatter. Gotta keep them separated.

5. For those on the ground who need verbal communication, the following resources are available Dispatchers:

Zello

Crowdsourse

Gas Buddy

Google maps

Apple maps

waze

wink news

ventusky maps

windfinder

FEMA APP IS AWESOME!

Local power company outage maps

Animal Control

Animal rescue shelters

Shelter apps – Local shelters, Evacuation shelters that allow pets. They are Our Family too. Check shot records too.

HAM Radio

CB Radio

Firechat

Mesh networks

Morse code

White flags on roof-tops of houses

Local nuclear plant data sites

Local water treatment plants

local chemical company plants

Local food market corporate sites (Distro – disribution info if they post it)

Uhaul, storage, UPS, FEDEX, Pipelines, Railroad, Greyhound, Hubs. Airports, Ports and Port Authority, CoastGuard, National Guatd, Attourney generals office, Governors Office,

6. As a moderator. seeking clarity of information is the key. You can be the straw that stirs the drink, or the one that breaks the chain. Some operators having stress have time and need to blow off steam with their fellows. So, when OPTEMPO slows down, let them know each-other and chat. But if emergency comes about it is “BREAK – Clear Channel”.

Give them ten seconds to speak and block them. Yet be cautious, few may be real, but they can go to one of the main popular rooms to ask.

7. Access: HUBS. You are looking for a way to somewhere, and always looking for a direct path at expense.

But what if you were traveling somewhere and got stuck at the airport? You ask where the nearest HUB is to get you closer to destination. Sometimes, flying (Or driving, or via Train or rickshaw or whatever) is better than waiting in airports. Buses and trains, private planes, Mariner charter, Cruise Ships! Support them too! Any logistic line is safe haven.

Buses, Trains, Uber, Lyft, Airbnb could find a place a block away. Do not discount Local Militias.

If you are Legit, someone needs to perk an ear up. But if you clog LOGISTIC Trains or get in the way of even the Local Sheriff, you are in the wrong unless you can stress test your case.

7. Record what you do. You can take screen shots and pictures. If you called 911, you are going to want to remember when. Sometimes calls go UN-answered so you will want to be able to show something.

8. Sheltering. They will not be checking immigration status at shelter but they may check for warrants, naturally. They will also want to know if your pets have been vaccinated.

9. Be creative. Does someone attached to machines need to be evacuated when the power goes out? Or could you just bring them a generator.

The Elderly could require a range of specialized equipment. Sometimes contacting the manufacturer helps to get equipment where it needs to go.

Baby formula, diapers, and dog food always run low in these events and as always – Fuel.

Also, listen to Frefal! http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2017/09/r...N+ARGENTINA%29
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 20:28   #850
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

Anyone please correct me where I may be wrong here.
This is an AAR. Use any of it in your Operations with the median, reproof, correct, or delete as you see fit please.
Old 09-27-2017, 21:08   #851
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Not seeing much mention, but in the immediate aftermath of a disaster, cash is king, as banking services are down and will not be restored until power, communications, and personnel can return to work.

The government and the banks would like to move to a cashless society, but this is a situation where that would present a huge problem.

Credit cards may be of use before the full onslaught, but once the financial network is down, people will need cash.

The amount to have on hand would depend on what your needs are and how long the banking systems are out of service. The former can be a mostly known factor, but the latter is impossible to predict.

I would want to have at least a month's expenses in a cash emergency fund, secured somewhere you can easily access it during a disaster (not at the bank).

Texas, Florida, and particularly Puerto Rico, have proven this out. A small island with 3.5 million people and no power or comms and the banks and ATMs closed is not going to accept credit cards or provide you with cash.

In a long term disaster, or a financial crisis, cash may not have value for very long either.

Just another contingency to prepare for.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 21:41   #852
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

"Texas, Florida, and particularly Puerto Rico, have proven this out. A small island with 3.5 million people and no power or comms and the banks and ATMs closed is not going to accept credit cards or provide you with cash.

In a long term disaster, or a financial crisis, cash may not have value for very long either."

Cash is King.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:30   #853
pyreaux
Guerrilla

Another reminder about banks. Not only may they not be open, but they may be as likely to flood as your own property including the non water proof safe deposit boxes. This may put important identity and few financial documents at risk if stored their.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 21:01   #854
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Winter Weather Preparedness

A good reminder this evening regarding mountain weather and conditions!! I do track several locations but didn’t expect these extreme conditions. -44f at Lake Antero here in Colorado, predictions of -25f in the Animas Valley overnight. Avalanche warnings, many extreme up and down the central mountain range with several killed and others rescued so far this year... early for that even here. Many of these areas are remote however not uncommon to travel through some of these areas to get to ski slopes. Last season on a few occasions highways were closed, including I 70. Poignant reminder to have a vehicle kit and contact plan.

Beyond typical items that come to mind and good vehicle maintenance.
A charge method or extra battery, insulated water and food, tow straps, a radio or commo device (besides cell), signal kit, traction devices, etc...
Last season ended up in a situation were a dozen or more folks were stranded in deep unplowed snow. They were coming down from my huts so while they had gear their supplies were diminished. We all worked together to get them going but ended up very wet, should they have not gotten out they would have been vulnerable.

Observations:vehicles traveling on the road way were not stopping and wisely so. Vehicles had gotten very stuck as well as a wrecker blocking others. State response was overwhelmed ...

https://www.fox21news.com/weather/it...tral-colorado/

https://www.fox21news.com/news/state...ins-continues/

Edit: Times I've found chem heat ( pocket warmers...help with keeping batteries in fobs and cell phones from draining so quickly), bic lighters, a lock oil with coolant very helpful...more for a certain pad lock but also for vehicle locks as well as extra keys kept in wallet or personal bag. Things can get hectic going in and out of the truck when shoveling, pushing, rigging, the possibility drop your keys in deep snow, etc...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 12-18-2019 at 11:20.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 22:29   #855
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Timely bump!

All be safe this winter (global warming is a bitch) be prepared!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote