http://www.penfed.org/usawoa/WOHERITAGE/Hist_SF_WO.htm

A brief history of the program.

YEP I got this from you know where.

BMT
Old 08-21-2005, 05:33   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Interesting time

That was an interesting time to be in SF. When the info on the program, requirements and possible classes came down a bunch of E-6/7s in SF had a big choice to make.

I remember standing in the hallway of our old company building on Smoke Bomb Hill and talking with George T. C. My goal was to become a Team Sergeant and then a Company Sergeant Major before retirement. He had chewed on it a while but wanted something else. He picked the WO program and was in one of the first, may have been the first class.

I still think I had the better deal but he may argue.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:18   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Great article by COL Crerar.

I had no idea that he was recalled for that.

Thanks for posting it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 14:15   #4
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Great article by COL Crerar.

I had no idea that he was recalled for that.

Thanks for posting it.

TR
Actually it gets a little more interesting than that. I was at Devens when Scotty Crerar was "recalled". As I recall the situation he had retired as a LTC and had an appeal of his non-selection to COL being looked at. Seems to me he got that overturned, picked up several years in grade and back pay and actually out-ranked Dick Potter who was the Group CDR at the time. I think the rules for retirement off the AD list at that time required at least 3 years AD time in the grade, so the recall/retention sort of went hand and hand.
Old 01-22-2010, 23:24   #5
18D4VRWB
Quiet Professional

That was a good article. I may send in a packet. Tired of medicine until it matters again.
18D4VRWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:58   #6
troy2k
Quiet Professional

180A...this stuff sells itself.

So I won't need to recruit you
Good luck with your packet.
Any questions PM me.
“Creating effective intelligence is an inherent and essential responsibility of command. Intelligence failures are failures of command – [just] as operations failures are command failures.” Marine Corps Doctrine Publication 2 - Intelligence
troy2k is offline   Reply With Quote