Old 11-05-2006, 11:45   #1
LongWire
Quiet Professional

WO Pay

Can anyone explain the current pay locking scheme for an E-7?

Specifically is it just the base pay, or does it include propay and any other incentives?

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 18:02   #2
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

A decade plus past when I converted E7 - W1, the base pay is the only thing protected. Housing, food, clothing, etc will adjust to current pay grade (W1).

All pro-pays i.e. jump pay, dive, etc, are based upon years in that position.

I maybe talking out of the side of my face, as it has been a long time but that is what happened to my paycheck.

Do it, you will never regret it.

Last edited by The Old Guy; 11-07-2006 at 13:58.
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 00:36   #3
bost1751
Quiet Professional

I have to agree with Old Guy but I went thru in 1985 as an E8 To CW2. I actually got a few dollars raise. Back then I am pretty sure it was just the base pay. It was well worth the move for me.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 13:23   #4
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

SDAP is now included in "Save Pay" and there is a cash bonus for converting.

That said the biggest advantage today is---NO FT RUCKER!

GreenSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:04   #5
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

Actually SDAP is not included in save pay anymore. ref the new save pay reg published 6 Jan 2006. I know I got it but my buddy who went two classes later took that in the pants.

John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
-John F. Kennedy
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 14:00   #6
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the update...
Old 03-12-2007, 12:02   #7
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

You know this SDAP thing is ridicules. I mean Warrants who are pilots are getting 600 bones a month or more and all they got to do is pull on a stick. You got some of us as Det. Commanders and a whole lot of other things, pulling 16 hour days and deployments out the wazu. This thing needs fixed. And the old adage about its not fair to give it to officers is a bunch of bs...ask the enlisted guys and they all say to a man they don't care who gets it as long as no one takes theirs away.
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03   #8
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

You know this SDAP thing is ridicules. I mean Warrants who are pilots are getting 600 bones a month or more and all they got to do is pull on a stick. You got some of us as Det. Commanders and a whole lot of other things, pulling 16 hour days and deployments out the wazu. This thing needs fixed. And the old adage about its not fair to give it to officers is a bunch of bs...ask the enlisted guys and they all say to a man they don't care who gets it as long as no one takes theirs away.

Of course I didn't do it for the money, but it makes it a little nicer.

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Old 03-21-2007, 18:57   #9
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

While "pilots" just pull on sticks making "600 bones" Technical Warrants are being looked at for promotion a year in advance of “pilots”. That means that I would being looking at the zone of consideration for CW5 this year, but I am not. It all equals out in the end.

The pay charts and regulations are always changing, concur that SDAP is ridicules. Backwoods, I think that you are in need of a hug.

I do wish to thank all of you in guarding the gates of our freedom.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor E. Frankl
Old 03-22-2007, 06:53   #10
one-zero
Quiet Professional

(after reviewing my ramblings, you might end up putting this in the 'soapbox' thread)

QPs
I take a different view on this; as for things working out equally due to zones of consideration being a year early for tech WO vs AV WO that is not the case when you consider SDAP and in some cases AIP...whereas the pay raise from promotion is a pittance by comparison.
IMO - As an SFWO you have to step in with your eyes open - It absolutely CANNOT be about the pay regardless of what the Army tries to do IOT incentivize SF NCOs to become WOs.

I've had the honor of serving in an LTC position for 2 years due to skill/experience I would never had obtained other than by being an SFWO - Yes, It sucks if I look at my peers' LES, but I'm the guy they come to when SHTF.
This is about something we continually complain about with the incoming generation, a turning away from 'selfless service'...

SFWOs should relish the thought of being the continuity, staying operational long after others have moved on to staff/school positions, maintaining institutional knowledge and ensuring new Commanders don't have to reinvent the wheel.

If it burns an SFWO after 15 years as an SFNCO and 1-10 yrs as an SFWO that your paycheck is a fraction of the new 8yrs in Army CPT you are now mentoring then I don't have any practical answers - and I'm not telling anyone to seek financial hardship if it were to be the case, but the facts/figures are there for all to see before making the leap.

I could opine for quite awhile on this topic - at the end of the day I can look back and say I never used the word or worried about a military "career" but instead concentrated on my service and was fortunate enough to get a decent paycheck in the process. SFWO's need to identify NCOs who are making the move for the right reason - pay IS a consideration, but certainly shouldn't be a priority.

v/r
1-0
one-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17   #11
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

One-Zero, I concur.

I know its tough asking guys to loose money and at the same time asking them to take on more responsibility. I tried not to focus on the pay disparity and instead think about what opportunities I have as a Warrant Officer. I feel as a WO I have the best of both worlds.

I feel that as a WO I have had more impact than I would otherwise have had as an NCO and at the same time do not have to deal with headaches that the Regular Line Officers must endure. I was given 5 more years on an ODA that I had the privilege to command (in Combat) as my last assignment in Group. That privilege was priceless.

Yes I would appreciate SDAP and hopefully it will change, but until then I am content with what I have been given.
Old 03-23-2007, 22:11   #12
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa

I feel that as a WO I have had more impact than I would otherwise have had as an NCO and at the same time do not have to deal with headaches that the Regular Line Officers must endure. I was given 5 more years on an ODA that I had the privilege to command (in Combat) as my last assignment in Group. That privilege was priceless.
100% Agree.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor E. Frankl