Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 02-11-2009, 13:17   #61
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
I remember "Pev" (red head HALO SCUBA) and "Greg"

Do you remember the infamous Oro Grande "beer bash" of '83?

It was a few months before my time but it's legendary stuff.
What is this "beer bash" you speak of, certainly professional soldiers as ourselves would certainly not indulge in that kind of activity
Old 02-12-2009, 20:52   #62
Gstonz
Quiet Professional

LMAO- Team Sergeant has been to a few beer bashes in Oro Grande- he blames it all on me and uses plausible, or should i say convenient denial.....

Hey Glebo- I was there too....do you remember a certain "Norris" over there in 3rd battalion? Would have been around in 84. I was also at SOT in 85, or was that 86-

Last edited by Gstonz; 02-12-2009 at 21:04.
Gstonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 21:03   #63
Pete
Quiet Professional

We didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
What is this "beer bash" you speak of, certainly professional soldiers as ourselves would certainly not indulge in that kind of activity
We didn't - all the A Teams were out on the 17 day survival FTX.

But you have to blaim somebody so blaim it on the A Teams.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 21:11   #64
mojaveman
Area Commander

Hey Pete,

I was told the story when I reported to 3rd Bn in '84. Were there really people throwing artillery simulators and firing weapons in the compound? At least that's how it was related to me.

Last edited by mojaveman; 07-22-2010 at 17:05.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 21:27   #65
Pete
Quiet Professional

The A Teams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Hey Pete,

I was told the story when I reported to 3BN in '84. Were there really people throwing ARTY SIMS and firing weapons in the compound? At least that's how it was related to me.
The A Teams were on a 17 day survival FTX.

The whole story involves the A Teams in the field, the remainder of the Bn at Orro Grande, one of the 5Th Gp forward's survival PIs, the Fish & Game folks and the Commander at Ft Bliss.

A few know most of the moving parts, most only know a piece or two. And as far as I know the individual that started everything is dead.
Old 02-25-2009, 13:12   #66
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

Pete,
I remember being out side the compound along the base of some mountains only to be greeted by green tracers being fired from what appeared to be the compound area. I believe the attached medivac vehicle at the compound area was flipped over, a rental car fired upon and most everyone well hammered. As I recall there was quite a bit of 'splainen to do once Group got the word.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other" President A. Lincoln
Matta mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 13:26   #67
glebo
Quiet Professional

I remember now

I didn't have the gracious opportunity to be on that trip. I just renlisted and had that semester of college option...thank you!

That would have been yet "another trip" that we had our rights read to upon landing

But, yeah, the stories were flowing. I didn't hear anything of that magnitude though, sounds like the cartels were at Ore Grande, ohhh the memories.
Old 02-25-2009, 14:04   #68
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

Unhappy

I think the word hit group when the Ugly Duckling rental car guy called looking for his car...I believe Colonel Guest took the phone call.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other" President A. Lincoln
Old 02-26-2009, 06:05   #69
Pete
Quiet Professional

Ah, yes, Black Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
...That would have been yet "another trip" that we had our rights read to upon landing........
Ah, yes, Black Rock. Was that not some fun. Step off the 141, get stuffed in a Duece 'n 1/2, driven to Group HQ plopped down by yourself in a room with 2 butt wipes in civilian cloths and read your rights.

Forgot about that one.

Another clear case of nobody in charge taking the time to read any after action reports of previous trips.

"What? We've have been there before?"

Some would call those the good 'ol days.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07   #70
glebo
Quiet Professional

Black Rock

yeah, that was a total goat rope. Do you remember when all the indig troops came running out of one of their tents?? Supposedly there was a black momba under one of the bunks. I took their word for it, I wasn't gonna go check

I do miss the Tuskers, mega grits, beans and critters, etc, etc.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:43   #71
Matta mile
Quiet Professional

Warm Tusker lagers....now that was a treat! I always liked the reusable bottles with little to no label on them, glass chips inside.
The pitter patter of rodents running across your sleeping bag while they chow down on your tobacco.
Sweet memories
MM

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27   #72
Pete
Quiet Professional

White Cap...

[QUOTE=Matta mile;251906]Warm Tusker lagers....now that was a treat!.../QUOTE]

Tuskers or White Cap - liked both.

Nothing like sitting in your tent with the sides rolled up as the sun went down. Drinking a few warm ones, playing hearts and looking out to see herds of assorted African animals wandering by.

Glebo - everybody said it was a Mamba but I say it was some kind of puff adder - thick ugly looking brute. Every trip seemed to turn up at least one of them under a cot or team box. Give you a good start went you saw it.

Last edited by Pete; 02-26-2009 at 08:31.
Old 02-28-2009, 14:54   #73
mojaveman
Area Commander

Nothing like sitting in your tent with the sides rolled up as the sun went down. Drinking a few warm ones, playing hearts and looking out to see herds of assorted African animals wandering by. [quote]

Now that brang back some memories from some long ago and distant travels.

The small herd of goats that were living on the roof of a six story apartment complex in downtown Alexandria, Egypt. The cattle and sheep that were on the dropzone in Morocco when we jumped in. We weren't smelling too rosey after that one. The crocodiles in the river that the Somali soldiers were throwing our garbage to. And finally, the drunk Irish sailors that were at the bar in the Port of Aqaba, Jordan.

What I'd pay to relive some of the adventures of my youth...

Last edited by mojaveman; 10-30-2009 at 16:08.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 16:30   #74
mswilliams
Quiet Professional

3rd Bn CE 84 - 86
ODA-591 87-88
ODA-594 88-90

I reported into LTC Jacobelly in early October of 1984 as he was packing up his stuff in his office, I was told by MAJ McGarrah that he expected to be releived by the group commander for the "Beer Bash" in Oro Grande. And the story continues to grow!
mswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:44   #75
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re_ 5th Group

In June of 68, the volunteers for C&C DET from those assigned to the 5th Group were very slim. I saw one Hispanic E-5 and my sad ass volunteer. Then a sharp CPT who had extended his tour and came from the Viet Airborne Advisor program pumped my brain for info, and; I do not BS senior more experienced men. He took my place /slot for FOB2. The E-5 medic went to CCN, the CPT to FOB2 via CCN, and; I went to C-5. I was pulled aside by the Group S-1 and told I would be in on the ground floor of a new C&C DET. That LTC did me a favor as I was on the staff for 56 days, had a company for almost 6 months , was sent to the northern launch site, then was asst S-3 before being hit several times 14 days later. I met many lifetime friends at Omega and CCS. I was lucky to meet the Sigma officers and senior NCO's in mid 68, and; they helped us a lot when CCS was formed later. I was truly blessed to have so many great NCO's and sharp officers to learn from. TY

Last edited by alright4u; 03-01-2009 at 19:53.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote