Canadian 16 4.36%
Irish 48 13.08%
Scotch 103 28.07%
Other 11 3.00%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2005, 13:55   #16
echoes
Area Commander

I wonder if there is a favorite for SF? I had the pleasure of sipping Johnny Walker Blue label once...my reaction..."It will take a lot more than this to get me to like you Sir". hehehe

Holly

p.s. edited to add: If memory serves, it was a stockbroker convention where the above took place.

Last edited by echoes; 05-17-2005 at 08:27.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:47   #17
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes
I wonder if there is a favorite for SF? I had the pleasure of sipping Johnny Walker Blue label once...my reaction..."It will take a lot more than this to get me to like you Sir". hehehe

Holly
Holly,
I've noticed since I found this site, that the preferred Whiskey and Scotch has evolved quite a bit since I was in. Can't speak for all the QP's out here, but when I was serving, the "official" whiskey was Jim Beam. But then, we weren't all that picky.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:53   #18
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

I have to vote American. When it comes down to it, my favorite for sittin' and sippin' comes out as Woodford Reserve. A fine whiskey, and won't break the bank.

Maker's Mark comes as a good second.

And then, of course, I'll take some good ol' Jack Daniels any time.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:09   #19
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Johnny Walker Green would be the hot Scotch if people could actually afford a bottle without selling the fucking Ferrari.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:25   #20
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Holly,
I've noticed since I found this site, that the preferred Whiskey and Scotch has evolved quite a bit since I was in. Can't speak for all the QP's out here, but when I was serving, the "official" whiskey was Jim Beam. But then, we weren't all that picky.
Sir,
That is a great choice. If I ever do happen to be sitting next to an SF man at a bar, I will know what to buy a round of.

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 05-17-2005 at 14:50.
Old 05-17-2005, 13:02   #21
Para
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
Johnny Walker Green would be the hot Scotch if people could actually afford a bottle without selling the fucking Ferrari.
You think Green is expensive, you should try Blue. I will never again share a bottle with Joe. What the hell, it was a graduation and they should celebrate, but the horror started when they started mixing a $175 bottle of scotch with Coke and slamming it. I just shaked my head in amazement and marked it up to one of lifes lessons.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 14:24   #22
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Your preference, please.
1.) Jack Daniels Black Label

2.) Any good single malt Scotch. ie Glenlivet

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 15:18   #23
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
You think Green is expensive, you should try Blue. I will never again share a bottle with Joe. What the hell, it was a graduation and they should celebrate, but the horror started when they started mixing a $175 bottle of scotch with Coke and slamming it. I just shaked my head in amazement and marked it up to one of lifes lessons.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 15:53   #24
Achilles
SF Candidate

Beam!! Where is my Beam???
Old 05-17-2005, 16:50   #25
lrd
Area Commander

16 YO Lagavulin.

Some friends just brought us a bottle of 12 YO Fettercairn 1824. If I can get my husband to break it open, we'll do a little taste test this weekend. From the bottle:
Quote:
Colour: Amber gold with golden highlights.
Nose: Light, stimulating fresh aroma with a hint of nutmeg, slightly dryish with notes of oak, vanilla and hints of malt.
Flavour: Nutty dryness, yet fresh with a toffee sweetness. Beautifully balanced with overtones of spice. Creamy and smooth.
We'll see.

I really like the peatiness of the Lagavulin (and my Mother's and husband's families lived on Islay a long time ago ).
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:16   #26
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sir,
That is a great choice. If I ever do happen to be sitting next to an SF man at a bar, I will know what to buy a round of.

Holly
As you can see by this thread and others out here, tastes have become a tad more expensive. Not that we didn't enjoy a fine whiskey back then. Just that the Jim Beam was designated the whiskey for SF, at least in Bad Toelz. Then again, most the guys there had been in SF for many moons, that was good enough for me. To this day when I buy whiskey, I buy Jim Beam. If you do run into a SF guy at a bar, he'll drink any round of whiskey you wanted to buy. Especially comming from a female. They're like that. Plus you could fill him in on how Jim Beam was the official whiskey of SF decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Beam!! Where is my Beam??? Achilles
See! There are a couple younger guys that appreciate J Beam.

By the way Holly, I was just a Demo Sergeant, not an Officer. I'll answer to alot of things, albeit in different ways.... depending on 'stuff'. 12B or Brad works.
Old 05-18-2005, 16:02   #27
cerebus the dog
Asset

Africa Corps Scoth and whiskey
Dad has several bottles.......never had anything quite like it.

"With ten men like Clusseau I could destroy the world"
cerebus the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 19:10   #28
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I wonder if there is a favorite for SF?
free...speaking only for myself, of course...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:41   #29
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
free...speaking only for myself, of course...
There ya go Holly. I rest my case.
Old 05-20-2005, 14:29   #30
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
There ya go Holly. I rest my case.

lksteve, 12B4S:

There ya go Sir's. In any case, I know that If I have the honor of sittin' next to an SF Man, I will order whatever they desire. The least I can do!

Luv It!

holly

Last edited by echoes; 05-20-2005 at 14:50.