Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-27-2006, 09:36   #76
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
IMHO, on the top shelf, Pappy Van Winkle's.

The Booker's and Blanton's.

For the more budget minded, Knob Creek would be my recommendation.

All excellent bourbons.

HTH.

TR
Concur with your exact ordering. I have had Elijah Craig three times now, each time from a different bottle, and each time it tasted completely different.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 15:58   #77
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
IMHO, on the top shelf, Pappy Van Winkle's.

The Booker's and Blanton's.

For the more budget minded, Knob Creek would be my recommendation.

All excellent bourbons.

HTH.

TR
Thanks, TR.

We drink Scotch and Irish whiskey, but an unfortunate incident in college turned the other half away from bourbon. Of course, that incident involved some very cheap bourbon so we might have to try again...
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 16:40   #78
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
I have had Elijah Craig three times now, each time from a different bottle, and each time it tasted completely different.
IMO, a reason not to buy it. Consistency is important. Not so much in having it taste the same every time, but in having it taste good!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 19:52   #79
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
On December 17, 1981, President Ronald Reagan released the following statement:

President Reagan unfortunately never was able to follow through on this promise. But there was another promise made that same day.

On December 17, 1981, a charred oak barrel was filled and plugged at the Elijah Craig Distillery Company in Bardstown, Kentucky. That barrel, marked with the number 1116, was then permitted to age for 18 years and bottled at the end of 1999, or perhaps early 2000.

The result is shown in the attached photograph. The fine men of the Elijah Craig Distillery Company have produced what I believe is one of the best single-barrel bourbons being offered today. It is incredibly smooth, with an oakey sweet taste (honey? caramel?) and a long, exquisite finish.

I did not try it side-by-side with anything, and I did not try it neat. Just poured it over ice and tasted. That was enough to convince me that our proposed tasting will be an event to remember. Definitely worthy of the top 5 rating we discussed earlier. And I note that it is significantly cheaper than the other three in the competition.

Looking forward to the views of others.
Just got home from an evening with EC as the main aperitif.

Am feeling very "randy" as they say!...hmmmm

Happy Holidays!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 20:43   #80
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Holy necropost!

After five more years of sampling, I would change my rating to add Woodford Reserve as equal to the Booker's and Blantons, and at a much lower price. Definitely better than the Knob Creek.

Some of Woodford's limited runs, like the Sweet Mash of a few years back, can almost equal the Pappy's.

Bottoms up!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 15:06   #81
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Holy necropost!

After five more years of sampling, I would change my rating to add Woodford Reserve as equal to the Booker's and Blantons, and at a much lower price. Definitely better than the Knob Creek.

Some of Woodford's limited runs, like the Sweet Mash of a few years back, can almost equal the Pappy's.

Bottoms up!

TR
You cannot possibly be serious, or perhaps you've had a bunch of it already today. BLASPHEMER!
Old 12-20-2011, 19:08   #82
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
You cannot possibly be serious, or perhaps you've had a bunch of it already today. BLASPHEMER!
Not yet, but that is a good idea.

Salud, abogado!

Others who I have offered it to have responded positively. Obviously, tastes vary.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:01   #83
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../chasing-pappy

Check this film project out . . .
Old 01-11-2012, 19:00   #84
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Holy necropost!

Bottoms up!

TR
For the Super Bowl Party...originally the recipe calls for JD, but am going to try it with Woodford Reserve this year.

Serves 6-8 as an appetizer

2 lbs Hillshire Farms Lit'l Smokies
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup Woodford Reserve
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine barbecue sauce, whiskey and brown sugar. Stir until combined.

Spread sausages across the bottom of a baking pan in one layer.

Pour sauce over the sausages.

Cook in oven for approximately 75 minutes. Stir sausages in sauce every 15 minutes during cooking.

Serve

(Variation for a richer, thicker sauce, try doubling the sauce recipe and cook for an additional 15 minutes to ensure the sauce thickens.)

http://cocktails.about.com/od/cookin...ey_sausage.htm

Last edited by echoes; 01-12-2012 at 08:45.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05   #85
rsmith569
Asset

New Distillery

There is a new KY distillery being built in Newport, KY. Just FYI
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...bon-distillery

Elijah Craig 18 year single barrel is the best by far, blantons is a close second.
rsmith569 is offline   Reply With Quote