Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 10-25-2005, 13:18   #46
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I have to say that after enjoying the hospitality of RL the other night and meeting his family (including the lovely Catwoman), that we here at PS.com appear to have cornered the market on the best legal minds in the country.

Most of the time, you can't even tell they are lawyers.

TR
Awwwwwwwwww, you just want more free booze.

LOL It was our pleasure.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 13:54   #47
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

I thought I replied. But oddly enough, I had purchased a GOOD bottle of Elijah Craig to warm up for Fridays festivities, and left the reply on "preview".

FRCP Rule 23(A)(1) "the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable". While I'm sure you and TR have lots of class, you are not numerous enough to be A class

Since a Class Action is basically a representative sample acting for others, and there are only two of you, this isn't a class action. It is a standard issue tort.

Now, if you were to identify a few hundred others victims...

Then there's the whole "matter of opinion" thing and lack of real damages... but down there in California you guys can 7 figures for Pain and Suffering and Mental Anguish claims
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 13:56   #48
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1-3
I thought I replied. But oddly enough, I had purchased a GOOD bottle of Elijah Craig to warm up for Fridays festivities, and left the reply on "preview".

FRCP Rule 23(A)(1) "the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable". While I'm sure you and TR have lots of class, you are not numerous enough to be A class

Since a Class Action is basically a representative sample acting for others, and there are only two of you, this isn't a class action. It is a standard issue tort.

Now, if you were to identify a few hundred others victims...

Then there's the whole "matter of opinion" thing and lack of real damages... but down there in California you guys can 7 figures for Pain and Suffering and Mental Anguish claims
Strike one!
Old 10-25-2005, 14:04   #49
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

Am I on the right rule?
"How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?" - The Reaper, 11Oct04 14:42hrs
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 14:16   #50
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1-3
Am I on the right rule?
Do the best you can.
Old 10-25-2005, 14:19   #51
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Do the best you can.
LMAO!

Classic SF reply, from a lawyer.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 14:26   #52
jatx
Area Commander

Is there a question of law or fact that needs to be resolved? I don't remember seeing Elijah Craig advertised as having either peppery or caramely notes, so it's unclear to me what they did to injure you merely by causing you to be disappointed...
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 14:46   #53
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
Is there a question of law or fact that needs to be resolved? I don't remember seeing Elijah Craig advertised as having either peppery or caramely notes, so it's unclear to me what they did to injure you merely by causing you to be disappointed...
Is that your final answer?
Old 10-25-2005, 14:48   #54
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Is that your final answer?
My only answer, I'm not a lawyer!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
Old 10-25-2005, 14:49   #55
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
My only answer, I'm not a lawyer!
That's obvious. LOL

You didn't answer the right question, but you are headed in the right direction, sort of.
Old 10-25-2005, 14:53   #56
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
That's obvious. LOL
Was it my lack of a prehensile tail that gave me away?

Old 10-25-2005, 14:58   #57
jatx
Area Commander

Okay, my second guess has to do with representativeness. I'm not sure what sort of group you and TR are representative of, but it's probably not the wider class of average bourbon drinkers. Your tastes are probably too refined, your standards too demanding.

Can I have a cookie?

Old 10-25-2005, 17:02   #58
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Okay, my second guess has to do with representativeness. I'm not sure what sort of group you and TR are representative of, but it's probably not the wider class of average bourbon drinkers. Your tastes are probably too refined, your standards too demanding.

Can I have a cookie?
Confer with vsvo and bravo1-3 and get back to me.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:20   #59
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Maybe it would be a little hard to use the "Q" word, but have our law students given up?
Old 11-11-2005, 13:11   #60
vsvo
Area Commander

Not me. I haven't heard from the guys, so I didn't want to impose in case they are working on it.
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote