Who's making what?

I'm thinking:

Rotisserie Turkey, Rotisserie Duck or Smoked Turkey Breast

Stuffing, Brioche-Pear Stuffing With Italian Sausage and Almonds

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Maple Cinnamon Sage Brown Butter

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad

Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Casserole

Glazed Carrots

and making my own turkey stock a few days before to make turkey gravy one day prior.

Those are my Thanksgiving ideas, and yeah, I got them off the internet after a long search. If you google them you'll find the recipes.
Old 11-12-2014, 22:41   #2
MR2
Quiet Professional

I'll have whatever my wonderful wife puts upon the table and be blessed for it - one of the many things to be thankful for each and every day.

I'm a lucky dog my friends, a lucky dog.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:35   #3
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

I'm only cooking for a few people so I'm going with a plated meal, but several courses. I haven't nailed down the exact menu yet, but the main features will be:

Mixed Greens salad
Pork Sausage appetizer (I grind and stuff my own sausage)
Turkey Roulade (breast with turkey thigh meat pate for the filler)
pumpkin ice cream on a vanilla/Boston cream pie or a pumpkin based tart.

I may play with molecular a bit and have an edible wishbone on each plate. It depends on whether I can get the mix right to keep it soft enough not to be dangerous/pokey, but still look like and break like a bone.

I like the idea of the gnocchi, I may borrow that.
Bones will, of course, be used for stock and turned into gravy or sauce.

Last edited by (1VB)compforce; 11-13-2014 at 08:38.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:39   #4
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

With any luck over the next week or two, I will be having a venison roast of some sort....

Quote:
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Maple Cinnamon Sage Brown Butter
That sounds seriously good....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:23   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
With any luck over the next week or two, I will be having a venison roast of some sort....

That sounds seriously good....
And the Gnocchi can be made a day ahead.....
Old 11-13-2014, 18:06   #6
2018commo
Quiet Professional

We are headed to the OBX; hoping for fresh striped bass and a couple of duck breasts wrapped in bacon. Will have a couple of NY Strip Steaks in reserve.
Non-traditional, but very much in season.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 18:46   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the first time in almost 20 years. It is going to be epic!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 19:23   #8
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

I usually deer hunt all morning and then come home to eat. Since my deer stands are less than 300 meters from the back door, won't take me long to walk back when they call "come and get it".

Then a quick nap if all is quite, it not back to the woods and take a nap in real peace and quite. Sit back up late afternoon and finish the hunt.

So what ever the little woman puts on the table....turkey, ham, collards, and what ever else she wants to cook.
Old 11-13-2014, 21:10   #9
PSM
Area Commander

I figure I'll just toss a turkey in the microwave for an hour or two. For veggies, I'll stir some canned green beans into canned cream of mushroom soup and top it with French’s French Fried onions. Instant mashed potatoes topped with Campbell’s canned gravy. Stove Top stuffing, and, of course, jellied cranberry sauce sliced to order. Ummm, ummm, ummm! Just like mom used to make.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 21:20   #10
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I figure I'll just toss a turkey in the microwave for an hour or two. For veggies, I'll stir some canned green beans into canned cream of mushroom soup and top it with French’s French Fried onions. Instant mashed potatoes topped with Campbell’s canned gravy. Stove Top stuffing, and, of course, jellied cranberry sauce sliced to order. Ummm, ummm, ummm! Just like mom used to make.

Pat
Don't forget to microwave some bacon to put on top of the beans
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 21:46   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by (1VB)compforce View Post
Don't forget to microwave some bacon to put on top of the beans
No, no, no. Can't go messing with mom's recipes.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:18   #12
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

The Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Maple Cinnamon Sage Brown Butter, I just looked up and they sound tasty!! I may have to make these this year. Freak out my redneck in-laws!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:58   #13
InnovativeCGO
Asset

we are going to deep fry a turkey again this year. we deep fried a bird last year for the first time and it came out great.

i used a dry cajun rub and 3 gallons of peanut oil. it left one hell of a mess in the driveway but I was able to get the stain off with some degreaser.
InnovativeCGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:29   #14
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeCGO View Post
we are going to deep fry a turkey again this year. we deep fried a bird last year for the first time and it came out great.

i used a dry cajun rub and 3 gallons of peanut oil. it left one hell of a mess in the driveway but I was able to get the stain off with some degreaser.
You either used too much oil or put the bird in too quickly.

First, make sure the bird if fully defrosted before trying to fry it.

Determine how much oil you need first by putting the bird in fryer pot and cover with water (no heat obviously). Remove the bird and mark the water height. That is you oil fill line.

When you do get the oil hot and go to put the bird in, go very slowly as the water in and on the bird evaporates explosively. Drop it in slow enough that it doesn't boil over. It takes a minute or two.

Frying a turkey is my favorite way to cook it but I don't want to go to the hospital over it...

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42   #15
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Turkey cooking tips..... Waiting on TS to weigh in
1. Don’t buy a frozen turkey. A fresh bird will always have flesh that is more moist and tender.

2. Don’t preheat your oven to a temperature lower than 350 degrees F or the turkey’s skin won’t lock in enough juices to ensure a moist bird.

3. Don’t cook your brined turkey before rinsing the meat. Without a good rinse, excess surface salt and any herbs or sugars that could potentially burn will be left on the skin.

4. Don’t leave the bird’s tips uncovered while grilling. If you don’t cover the wing tips and the tips of the drumsticks with foil, you will end up with charring.

5. Don’t pierce the turkey’s skin when putting fat (truffle butter, duck fat, etc.) between the flesh and the skin; but do consider this method, as it imparts even more flavor to your bird.

6. Don’t stuff a bird ahead of time or you will increase the chances of promoting the production of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Better yet, cook your stuffing in a separate casserole. I usually stuff mine with carrots, onion, and lemon.

7. Don’t carve the bird directly after cooking. Let it rest for 30 to 40 minutes to redistribute the juices before you carve.

8. Don’t carve the white meat before the dark meat. The dark meat (legs and thighs) should always be carved before the white meat (turkey breast), since the latter dries out faster.

9. Don’t throw raw flour into pan juices to make gravy. Lighter and more flavorful methods include blending the chunks of carrots, turnips and other winter vegetables that have roasted beneath the turkey and adding the puree to the gravy, or whipping generous dollops of truffle butter into the pan juices for a taste of luxury.

10. Don’t serve your gravy without tasting it first. Always make sure to sample gravy to adjust the seasoning.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote