Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 03-19-2013, 05:16   #31
33army
Guerrilla

Ok, I need a friend that is willing to ship beer to NC. Sierra Nevada doesn't have a full line here
Old 03-21-2013, 19:27   #32
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycountry View Post
Hmm.. I am traveling to Phoenix end of this week for a vacation which includes the Rim for 3 days. My plan takes me through a few brewpubs and I'll add this one to it ...thanks.

LMC
I'd also recommend SanTan Brewing (1st photo) in Chandler and the Whole Foods supermarket, also in Chandler. This Whole Foods has a very popular beer bar inside. Yes, a supermarket with a bar. I'd never seen one before. Also, the beer aisle (2nd photo) is fantastic and the local beers are in their own section. The beer aisle pic only shows a very small portion of a large area devoted to craft beer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SanTan Hop Shock IPA.jpg (43.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Whole Foods Chandler, AZ.jpg (93.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-21-2013, 19:34   #33
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33army View Post
I know it isn't really a traveler beer but Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA has got me all kinds of excited right now.
It is a traveler's beer when you put it in cans. I reviewed it on my FB page last July 11th. The pic didn't turn out too bad either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sierra Nevada Torpedo cans.jpg (45.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-21-2013, 21:56   #34
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Burglar floods Seattle restaurant with beer

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/P...199377661.html

SEATTLE -- A burglar pulled a "wet bandits" on a Queen Anne restaurant last week when he left a beer tap on full blast, flooding the basement, freezer and cabinets, according to the Seattle Police Department.

According to the police report for the incident, surveillance cameras caught the burglar using a rock to smash out a back window at the restaurant in the 100 block of First Avenue North around 11:24 p.m. March 13, only minutes after the owner had locked up and left for the night.

Despite setting off the restaurant's alarm, the burglar grabbed 30 bottles of alcohol from the bar, locking one of the beer taps in the on position in the process, according to the report.

According to the report, the burglar left, but the beer kept flowing, causing the line between the tap and keg to break.

Officers arrived to find the basement, freezer and below-bar shelving flooded. Vegetables and other food were ruined, and beer was dripping down from the top of the basement freezer. The deluge of beer didn't stop until the keg was completely emptied.

A K-9 unit was unable to track the burglar, who had left the scene by the time officers arrived, according to the report.

The owner of the restaurant told police he is worried because it is the second time he has been burglarized since buying and opening the restaurant.
Old 04-07-2013, 18:30   #35
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Happy National Beer Day & Session Beer Day

I much prefer holidays made up by beer people rather than florists, don't you? As a late convert the the craft beer in cans movement, I'm celebrating with aluminium armored Four Peaks Brewing's Hop Knot IPA. I continue to be amazed by the depth of the craft beer bullpen in Arizona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hop Knot IPA.jpg (40.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 14:01   #36
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Must have this!

Ok, where do I find this beer glass?

http://www.facebook.com/ThirstyWarrior
Old 04-09-2013, 14:44   #37
zeke
Asset

Lagunitas Undercover is a limited release that is available now. I really like it but it's not of the IPA family. They make a good cappucino stout also.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 17:56   #38
lovemycountry
Guerrilla

Great Beer

OK, Divemaster....I have now returned from Arizona trip....Best of the Best was Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon Brew Pub....in addition to a great "4 oz. sampler of 7 beers" they include 3 different size glasses of your choice. I just couldn't make up my mind so I said "TALL" and it came in a frosted Golblet. Food was the best we had in AZ. ( most food was bland unless you went to Mexican type resturants except I wanted a PUB) also, the Oak Creek Canyon Drive rivaled the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountains of NH....simply awesome. Second mention was Flagstaff Brew Pub.

thanks for all the tips.

LMC

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
lovemycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 19:58   #39
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
OK, Divemaster....I have now returned from Arizona trip....Best of the Best was Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon Brew Pub....in addition to a great "4 oz. sampler of 7 beers" they include 3 different size glasses of your choice. I just couldn't make up my mind so I said "TALL" and it came in a frosted Golblet. Food was the best we had in AZ. ( most food was bland unless you went to Mexican type resturants except I wanted a PUB) also, the Oak Creek Canyon Drive rivaled the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountains of NH....simply awesome. Second mention was Flagstaff Brew Pub.

thanks for all the tips.

LMC
Pictures, man. Pictures!
Old 04-10-2013, 19:09   #40
lovemycountry
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Pictures, man. Pictures!
[ATTACH][ATTACH]We were drinking straight from thes casks.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Interesting "Budda" outside.
We were drinking from these "Tanks"
The Menu...

not sure of the order... !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Menu.jpg (57.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Interesting Budda outside.jpg (51.0 KB, 13 views)

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-10-2013, 19:36   #41
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 24954[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Interesting "Budda" outside.
We were drinking from these "Tanks"
The Menu...

not sure of the order... !!
Very cool!
Old 04-10-2013, 19:45   #42
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Lagunitas Undercover is a limited release that is available now. I really like it but it's not of the IPA family. They make a good cappucino stout also.
After reading the story behind it, I MUST find this beer! Plus I'm already a huge Lagunitas fan.

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale
Old 04-10-2013, 19:51   #43
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

I'm the lunatic who makes beer in Lebanon

The Beer with a Levant Slant

The Washington Post

By Greg Kitsock, Published: March 5

“I’m the lunatic who makes beer in Lebanon!” announces Mazen Hajjar as he rises to extend his hand.

That’s Lebanon in the Middle East — not Pennsylvania. Hajjar’s brewery, 961 Beer (named after the international dialing code for Lebanon), is a five-minute drive from Beirut.

With his shoulder-length dark hair and full beard, he might be mistaken for a graduate student who wandered into ChurchKey near Logan Circle to down a few drafts after banging out his thesis. But this youthful 39-year-old has a remarkably varied résumé: Before brewing caught his fancy, he worked as a photographer covering the war in Serbia; he spent nine years as an investment banker; and he made an unsuccessful attempt to start the Middle East’s first low-fare airline.

Within minutes we’re clinking glasses of 961 Lebanese Pale Ale, a marriage of European brewing tradition and Levantine cuisine. Hajjar supplements the hops with a melange of Middle Eastern herbs and spices: mint, sumac, anise, chamomile, sage and za’atar. The pale ale is delicate but flavorful, with a dry, herbal, savory flavor that would pair nicely with a skewer of well-seasoned chicken or lamb.

961 Lebanese Pale Ale is available in kegs and 11.2-ounce bottles. Hajjar’s American importer, St. Killian in Kingston, Mass., carries four other 961 varieties in bottles only, all solid interpretations of classic European styles. They are a clean-tasting golden lager; a red ale balancing citrusy American hops with lots of caramel malt; a Belgian-style witbier incorporating wheat from Lebanese farmers; and a roasty porter full of mocha flavors.

Many U.S. craft brewers like to talk about their baptism of fire in a highly competitive industry, but Hajjar literally was under siege when he hatched his grand plan. “I started in 2006,” he says. “Israel and Hezbollah were bombing ... each other. The electricity was off; I was sitting on my balcony reading the first chapter of “Beer School” by Steve Hindy and Tom Potter. That’s when I thought, ‘Eureka!’”

Hajjar took inspiration from Hindy, a former Middle East correspondent for the Associated Press. Like Hajjar, Hindy had to dodge bombs and bullets; he was sitting in the grandstand behind Anwar Sadat in 1981 when the Egyptian leader was assassinated. Like Hajjar, Hindy was led by the region’s lack of decent beer first to take an interest in home-brewing, then to turn pro. (He’s now president of New York’s Brooklyn Brewery.)

“Pretty unremarkable” is how Hindy describes Middle Eastern beer in general. He remembers quaffing Stella, an Egyptian brand that had dubious quality-control standards: “I don’t think I ever got two bottles that ever had the same fill level.” The brewery, according to a persistent rumor, spiked the beer with formaldehyde to perk up the flavor. Hindy couldn’t verify that, but he said, “It did seem to have a kind of numbing effect after a few bottles.”

The quality of Stella improved markedly after 2002, when Heineken took over the brewery, Hindy says. Likewise, Heineken controls Almaza (Arabic for “diamond”), a Lebanese light lager with no particular regional character.

There are a few oases in that bleak beerscape. Israel has sprouted between 20 and 30 microbreweries and brewpubs, beginning with the Dancing Camel in Tel Aviv in 2006. Taybeh Brewing in Palestinian territory predates the Dancing Camel by a decade, brewing golden, amber and dark lagers, plus a non-alcoholic brew for observant Muslims.

961 Beer, however, might be the only Middle Eastern microbrewery that exports worldwide, from Spain to Hong Kong to Australia. Hajjar’s output is modest: 200,000 cases last year, or about 14,500 barrels. But Hajjar ships to 14 countries and 12 American states; you can find it in the District, Maryland and Virginia. His business strategy might reflect his cosmopolitan outlook: “My uncle lived in Chicago for 40 years. My wife grew up in New York. I proposed in Sweden and we got married in Seattle.”

His visit to Washington is part of a brand-promotion tour that includes stops in New York and Philadelphia. “I love coming here. I feel like it’s my second home,” he says. “I feel like a rock star, but without the groupies and drugs.”

Hajjar buys malt from Germany and hops from Europe and the United States. It might not be the most efficient or environmentally friendly way to make beer, importing almost all of his brewing materials and sending his beer abroad in throwaway bottles and one-way disposable barrels called KeyKegs. But Hajjar says he has a goal “one day to be a zero-emission, carbon-neutral brewery.”

He admits that goal is a long way off. In the meantime, he contributes a slice of his profits to the reforestation of Lebanon. (A small drawing of a cedar graces his labels.) He uses local ingredients when possible. He planted an experimental hop plot and used the crop to make a Harvest Lager for the German Embassy in Beirut to celebrate German Reunification Day last Oct. 4. Upcoming releases include a barley wine refermented in cedar with raisins, and a Lebanese-style stout flavored with coffee and cardamom.

Can he keep the pipeline filled? At the time of our meeting, Hajjar seemed concerned about meeting demand, citing that 961 Beer is growing at a clip of 300 percent to 400 percent annually.

Kitsock is the editor of the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 961 Beer brewer Mazen Hajjar.JPG (40.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Divemaster; 04-10-2013 at 22:26.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12   #44
zeke
Asset

Quote:
After reading the story behind it, I MUST find this beer! Plus I'm already a huge Lagunitas fan.

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale
Fred Meyers usually has it along with a few other Lagunitas choices. The Fred Meyer down here in the more rural areas have started selling guns and ammo again too. I'm not sure how it is in Washington.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:11   #45
lovemycountry
Guerrilla

Quote:
Very cool!
BTW Divemaster, in the picture of the Tanks you can see a "ruler" on the right side facing. You can't make it out in this pic but there is a "float" showing the level!!! I might add that I'm a bit proud, as a guest of PF, that I moved it 1 notch myself using the frosted Goblet ( frosted isn't my favorite but the bartender forced it on me) Once it gets low they call up the brewery, down the street, and they bring up another beer. They only have 4 tanks so they are always rotating them, although ,all beers are available, but only 4 our being poured straight out of the tanks......NICE

As I said, I loved Arizona....

LMC

Abraham Lincoln