Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 06-22-2012, 06:21   #1
33army
Guerrilla

Range Hood

Does anyone know why it is nearly impossible to find a house with a range hood that vents outside in it? I just bought a house in the Fayettenam/Raeford Metroplex and it has a microwave with a vent built in. This is the third place I have resided in that has this absurd feature. In most cases all it does is blow the exhaust in your face or onto the cabinets above. This is beyond irritating.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

I think with microwave ovens the vent has more to do with the cooling fan.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Not a building contractor....

Not a building contractor - or county code enforcer but........

Back in the old days of Ranch homes the vent hood had a straight run up and out exhaust. Look in the cabinet above the stove and there was the big old pipe. Some homes with the stove on the exterior wall had a short pipe with a 90 degree turn out the side wall.

Nowdays the kitchen is more towards the interior with a snack area by the exterior wall. Exterior venting would require longer runs which means more space. And then there is two story homes.

I would expect - with the amount of grease that builds up over time in my micro wave vent - any long run system could get pretty guncky over time and be a good place for bugs to hide out in. Be a mess to clean that out.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53   #4
Paslode
Area Commander

Generally many current microwaves are set up to adapt to either external venting or interior through a filter. Generally speaking, most of the mountable appliances I see are vented inside just as yours.

Exterior vents (hoods, cook tops or microwaves) require that they be vented to the exterior of the dwelling, not the attic, not a wall or floor cavity. Proper ventilation requires duct work and a penetration through the roof or a exterior wall. If you have a multiply story house and/or a large house exterior venting my not be an option because the length or height of the duct would exceed the capacity of the fan.

That can be quite expensive and time consuming.

Or you can switch the vent plate around for interior venting. Venting inside just requires mounting the device, plugging it in and you're done.

So it comes down to home design, ease and cost effectiveness for the builder or previous homeowner.

IMO.
Old 06-22-2012, 13:43   #5
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Think energy efficiency and think about the expense of having an energy efficient vent to the outside along with all the others that are mandated.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 14:22   #6
VVVV

My home built in 72, originally had a range hood which was vented through the roof via 8" pipe at a point approximately 10' above the ground. I replaced the hood with an over-the-range microwave (extra cost item). It uses the same exhaust fan, and filters that the the internal exhaust system uses. The top of the micro is about 68" above the floor, so the total length of the vent pipe is about 4.5 feet. Been living here more than 24 years and have never had a problem with grease build up. Both internal and external vent reqiure the use of grease filters (washable) which need to be cleaned on a regular basis , with the interval depending on how much frying you do on your range.
Old 06-22-2012, 14:29   #7
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Think energy efficiency and think about the expense of having an energy efficient vent to the outside along with all the others that are mandated.
To my knowledge, most, if not all microwaves use the same fan motor, for internal or external venting.

BTW, if it's not externally vented the use of a recirc air charcoal filter (some cost about $50) that needs to be replaced every 6-9 months (depending on frequency of use) is required.

IMO external venting is the way to fly!

Last edited by VVVV; 06-22-2012 at 14:49.
Old 06-22-2012, 14:44   #8
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I think with microwave ovens the vent has more to do with the cooling fan.
Not if its an over-the-range model. External venting is for the range (exhaust fan ) hood function (when cooking on the range), not for the operation of the microwave itself.

Last edited by VVVV; 06-22-2012 at 14:55.
Old 06-22-2012, 21:40   #9
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The last one I installed had an option of venting out the front of the Microwave or opening up the back of the oven and redirecting the duct upwards to the vent....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52   #10
Paslode
Area Commander

Here is the current code and the highlight is the opt-out.

Quote:
M1503.1 General.
Range hoods shall discharge to the outdoors through a single-wall duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be air tight and shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Ducts serving range hoods shall not terminate in an attic or crawl space or areas inside the building.

Exception: Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.
Here is a good example of confusion on the subject of range hoods and ventilation....among inspectors.

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showt...tion-of-range&

And this is what they are debating:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico..._15_sec001.htm
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59   #11
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Good answers above. Mostly cost and convenience. The perspective of the appliance manufacture comes into play also, they generally want their products to go into as many applications as possible.

With vent runs it requires more power than you might think and keep in mind fans pull better than they push.

The energy considerations do play a big part. If you left a fan vented to the exterior on it could suck out lots of cool or warm air.

Keep in mind with commercial design HVAC systems work with air pressures ie: more pressure at dinning areas and less in kitchen and restroom areas. This send undesirable gasses to where they can be vented and resupplies fresh air to where patrons are as health concerns would dictate. Many times venting occurs above the ceiling plane.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 15:16   #12
33army
Guerrilla

Thanks for the info guys. Trying to get used to my microwave vent and the window.
Old 06-27-2012, 15:51   #13
zauber1
Auxiliary

Brands to beware -check country of origin

If you do decide to re-install ventilation, I would inquire about the place of manufacture. I worked for a manufacturer of Swedish dishwashers, washers and dryers in the Dallas area for about three years and one of the companies that the mother conglomerate acquired was Antonio Merloni based in Fabriano, Italy. I visited the factory once and saw one assembly line and at the end of the line, 30 different name brand badges could be applied. The quality control was the weakest point and eventually led to the bankruptcy of the Italian conglomerate and ultimately the breakup and demise of the company. Fabriano is such a little town that everyone in town is involved in appliance manufacturing.

I have since learned that the Merloni corporate entity resurfaced after the bankruptcy and are again churning out well thought out, innovative designed but poorly inspected pieces of crap just as before. However, this iteration has no American based company to do the warranty bailouts with regular infusions of American investment dollars.

Research and stay away from pretty yet unreliable Fabriano made ventilation products.

I can get away with bad mouthing this company because I was once on the inside and also, that company sank in the 2007 meltdown.
Old 06-27-2012, 16:44   #14
VVVV

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post

1. With vent runs it requires more power than you might think and keep in mind fans pull better than they push.

2. The energy considerations do play a big part. If you left a fan vented to the exterior on it could suck out lots of cool or warm air.
1. I've owned 4 or 5 OTR microwaves and all of them used the same exhaust fan motor whether they were installed with external venting, or used in the recirc mode. So how can it require more power. The fan is pulling the same hot moist (and sometimes greasy) air off the range top when either operating in the vented or recirc mode.

2. If the HVAC system is operating in the AC (cooling) mode, then the externally vented range hood is reducing the amount of hot wet air the HVAC must cool and dehumidify to keep the house comfortable. It costs far more to do that than it does to run the fan motor of the microwave. Remember we are talking about a home kitchen here, not a commercial kitchen. The cfm of air removed by a microwave range hood is miniscule.

BTW, hot moist air recirculated into the interior of the house promotes the growth of mold. IMO, the benefits of venting far outweigh any negatives.

Last edited by VVVV; 06-27-2012 at 16:57.
Old 06-27-2012, 17:52   #15
zauber1
Auxiliary

Booster fan

If your vent run is more than you want you can also install a midline booster fan. The best ones are American made in Michigan and can boost the throughput of your moist greasy air.

I have been through this with my wife. She insists on turning on an over the range fan that just sends the smoke out into the kitchen instead as outside.