Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 08-23-2010, 19:09   #46
lksteve
Quiet Professional

I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I need a pizza with a garlic sauce...a restaurant here in Fort Collins (The Rustic Oven) has a pizza called the Saltimbocca (sp), basically white sauce, chicken, onions, mushroom and green peppers...if I'm making it myself, it's a garlic sauce with onions, peppers (red, green, yellow, orange), garlic seasoning, Black Forest Ham and Asiago cheese...I use Asiago cheese in a lot of my cooking...comes from spending winters in that region of Italy for ski and winter warfare training, I guess...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 19:48   #47
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I need a pizza with a garlic sauce...a restaurant here in Fort Collins (The Rustic Oven) has a pizza called the Saltimbocca (sp), basically white sauce, chicken, onions, mushroom and green peppers...if I'm making it myself, it's a garlic sauce with onions, peppers (red, green, yellow, orange), garlic seasoning, Black Forest Ham and Asiago cheese...I use Asiago cheese in a lot of my cooking...comes from spending winters in that region of Italy for ski and winter warfare training, I guess...
Steve,
You ever been to Beaujo's pizza??

http://www.beaujos.com/

Living here as long as I have, I've never heard of it, until one day on the ambulance, my partner was talking about it. He said the best one to go to is up in Idaho Springs. Then low and behold, later that night, on an episode of Man vs Food, Adam is at a Beaujos in the PRB, digging into one of their Mountain Pie's.

Being from Chicago, of course I only know of ONE type of pizza, but I'm thinking, I may just have to scoot up the hill and give it a try.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 20:12   #48
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Steve,
You ever been to Beaujo's pizza??
Yup...the GF doesn't like it, so not going there is part of our austerity program...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 08-23-2010, 20:25   #49
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Yup...the GF doesn't like it, so not going there is part of our austerity program...

Sorry to hear that.

Good luck with your program.
Old 08-23-2010, 20:41   #50
craigepo
Quiet Professional

There is one real pizza. It is found in Napoli, Italy. The tomatos there taste different(ash in the soil from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius). Toppings are used much more sparingly. Every part of the pizza(topping, sauce, crust) is a masterpiece. A touch of sea salt made just down the beach. Wine made from a winery right up the hill.

Beautiful Italian girl as a server.

Every other pizza is an afterthought.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 20:45   #51
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Good luck with your program.
She prefers Austins (across the street) and the Rustic Oven...some austerity program...

And regarding pizza in Naples, what I found during my time with the 509th in Italy (and later in Alpini school), is that Americans pervert Italian cuisine...hell, most pasta I ate in Italy had a dab of tomato sauce, it wasn't drenched in it the way it is served here...
Old 08-23-2010, 20:49   #52
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
She prefers Austins (across the street) and the Rustic Oven...some austerity program...
Well, there are rules, and then there are "rules".
Old 08-24-2010, 18:09   #53
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I need a pizza with a garlic sauce...
That sucks. Have you tried using pesto sauce? Yum!
Old 08-24-2010, 18:24   #54
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
That sucks. Have you tried using pesto sauce? Yum!
I haven't mastered making pesto sauce yet...I do try it when I'm out on the town...
Old 08-24-2010, 19:02   #55
akv
Area Commander

Chicago style -Best Pizza and worst politicians...

Napoli I have to try, I always though Gino's East was the pinnacle?
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 13:05   #56
Razor
Quiet Professional

BeauJo's is very good, filling pizza (just could never bring myself to slather honey on the crust, though). We used to have two in the Springs, but they shut down several years ago, despite appearing continuously busy. There used to be one just north of C-470, but that closed, too. Now our BeauJo's experiences occur only during trips past Idaho Springs (also a good time to stop by and make a contribution to Tommyknocker's bottom line).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 14:47   #57
MVP
Quiet Professional

Amalfi's

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Amalfi's on Nockhergasse in Bad Tölz. They had a pizza diavolo that has got to be the best (although without meat). A nice italian style crust, bit of sauce, cheese, yellow pepperoni's and lots of garlic.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 16:39   #58
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
There is one real pizza. It is found in Napoli, Italy. The tomatos there taste different(ash in the soil from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius). Toppings are used much more sparingly. Every part of the pizza(topping, sauce, crust) is a masterpiece. A touch of sea salt made just down the beach. Wine made from a winery right up the hill.

Beautiful Italian girl as a server.

Every other pizza is an afterthought.
Oh man that sounds really great!.........Do they deliver?

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 17:45   #59
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
She prefers Austins
Which one? My son lives just north of Warren Lake near the Harmony one.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 18:07   #60
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
I haven't mastered making pesto sauce yet...I do try it when I'm out on the town...
Need a recipe? If you have a Trader Joe's near you they have a pretty good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
Napoli I have to try, I always though Gino's East was the pinnacle?
Gino's East is not, IMO, the pinnacle...but it is very good. Salerno's formerly of Berwyn and now in Oak Park...now that is a pie!