Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 06-02-2011, 12:26   #46
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Blitzz- That's what I mean- I ate everything, I had so many protozans and bacteria in my digestive tract, it was thrown off when I returned to the states and clean food preparation. Fortunately, I live close to Mexico so I could go down there for street food and my monthly E. coli injection....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 16:32   #47
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Really?

I have been trying to get these yeast rolls figured out, and have had some yeast problems. I hadn't even considered salt in the butter.
I doubt the salt in your butter is causing the problem. Send me your recipe and I will have P&B "Chef" take a look.....
Old 06-02-2011, 17:14   #48
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I doubt the salt in your butter is causing the problem. Send me your recipe and I will have P&B "Chef" take a look.....
Heck, just post it. We'll figure out what it kneads.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 06-02-2011 at 17:45.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 18:40   #49
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Too funny.

A thought just occured to me, 2/3 of the worlds population drinks raw milk. I read recently, that in CA, (and several others states), it is illegal to sell raw milk to your neighbors, in fact, it is illegal to sell farm fresh eggs, but you can give them away, the milk also.

How sad, looking for an explanation, anyone care to enlighted me.

I understand that pastuerization made it possible to transport milk further distances for larger population bases to offer milk, but why make it illegal?

Think of it. Raw milk only forces one to have land, raise livestock, perhaps chickens, raise a hog, vegatable garden. One might attempt making butter, cheese and canning produce. Some might even call that independance.
I believe it is legal in CA to sell raw milk. It is not legal in Colorado and maybe 40 other states. My family has to own part of a cow to get our raw milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Drinking raw milk can only lead to independance.
yup - that is a part of it. He who controls the food, controls the people. I also look at where the money is coming from. The same people who want to take guns away want to take away raw milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Pasturization, I believe ended bovine TB spread as well as other milk borne diseases. TB of the eyeball is ugly. Homogenization, I believe made it easier to ship all over, as it stopped seperation of butter fat from the skim.
Diseases still occur in pasteurized dairy. As big dairy advertises in the mass media, these stories don't often get published with the same zeal as those awful home-schooling conservatives and their raw milk. Cows that are owned by smaller farms and graze in fields live longer and healthier lives than those cows that eat grain and never leave the stall.
http://www.californiarawmilk.org/sit...dOutbreaks.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
R.L.- Over the last 20 years, there have been breakouts of Listeria here in So Cal. The most common sources for Listeria are raw dairy products. Listeria is fatal about 20% of the time. It is especially hard on pregnant women and their babies.
Raw milk is often locally consumed and isolated. When disease breaks out in store-bought eggs or milk, the recall can over several states. Look at the cucumber issue in Europe currently.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe...html?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Land O Lakes, so I can show future generations of boys the "cut the knees out and put them behind the flapped package" trick. Bewbies.

ETA: Link
that has been around since the 70s.

Last edited by BigJimCalhoun; 06-02-2011 at 19:05. Reason: spelling nad adding link to story on Fox
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:34   #50
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
that has been around since the 70s.
Actually before that.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 14:17   #51
Badger52
Area Commander

Besides 2A issues, I'm astounded to learn my current state ("America's Dairyland") bans these unprocessed products from being sold or "advertised" as such. Wet Dog is right. It's the road to independence; during the last hysterical egg recall bride & I celebrated with omelettes. I wonder if the local Egg Task Force will be fast-roping down into my yard...

Better days might be coming. Besides the bill to repeal concealed-carry statutes is one in the spirit of "Keep A Family Cow" to allow local producers to "go raw" under many circumstances. I understand there's more than one person who makes a phenomenal feta, labelled as cat food, sold at $15/lb and they sell out quickly.

Moo.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 18:13   #52
219seminole
Guerrilla

I think I am still dying from the alar treated apples I ate in the 1990s.
219seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12   #53
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:
Really?

I have been trying to get these yeast rolls figured out, and have had some yeast problems. I hadn't even considered salt in the butter.
Agree with TS - salt in the butter prolly not a consideration in yeast rolls. (he's a certified expert, I'm just a lifelong mauler of yeast bearing products)

Depends on what your issue is - what's wrong with your yeast?

Some probable factors - age of yeast, relative humidity/temp of the day, temp of water, food for the yeast...

LL
Old 06-08-2011, 17:39   #54
Gypsy
Area Commander

Kerry Gold Irish Butter. OMG.

But it's expensive so I use Land o' Lakes...mostly the whipped variety.
Old 06-08-2011, 17:41   #55
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
My doctor made me switch to Smart Balance... I still use butter for baking and sauteeing.
Mine too. Then I read the label, said screw it and use butter....very sparingly. For Sauteeing I use either Canola or Olive Oil, and depending on the recipe a smidge of butter.

I use whipped butter on my multigrain toast.

And when it comes to baking there is NO substitute...it's BUTTER!

Last edited by Gypsy; 06-08-2011 at 17:43.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 18:32   #56
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Kerry Gold Irish Butter. OMG.

But it's expensive so I use Land o' Lakes...mostly the whipped variety.
Whipped butter, so they "add" air to your butter and you pay more?
Old 06-09-2011, 16:43   #57
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Whipped butter, so they "add" air to your butter and you pay more?
No, it's less than 2.00...and less calories and fat.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:51   #58
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Less fat? I don't want that

I am cranking up the fat to be 40-50 percent of my diet
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:07   #59
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Agree with TS - salt in the butter prolly not a consideration in yeast rolls. (he's a certified expert, I'm just a lifelong mauler of yeast bearing products)

Depends on what your issue is - what's wrong with your yeast?

Some probable factors - age of yeast, relative humidity/temp of the day, temp of water, food for the yeast...

LL
I have now interrogated approximately 10 ladies over the age of 65. I found out that I killed my yeast, so I tried again, measuring water temperature with my meat thermometer to 100-110 degrees. Put yeast, water and sugar in separate glass container to "turn on" before mixing (turn on the yeast, not myself).

I've now learned that I have to raise the rolls twice before baking, which requires raising the dough, punching it back down, then raising it again. I will report after my next batch.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 18:08   #60
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have now interrogated approximately 10 ladies over the age of 65. I found out that I killed my yeast, so I tried again, measuring water temperature with my meat thermometer to 100-110 degrees. Put yeast, water and sugar in separate glass container to "turn on" before mixing (turn on the yeast, not myself).

I've now learned that I have to raise the rolls twice before baking, which requires raising the dough, punching it back down, then raising it again. I will report after my next batch.
If you are placing yeast into the water this is called "blooming" the yeast. You can place the sugar in with the flour and salt. Yeast will all die at 140, ensure your water is room temp, or 90 degrees is best. Place your unused yeast in the fridge. Do not actually "punch" down the dough but yes knock it down and allow it to rise again. While the dough is fermenting/proofing ensure there is a tight seal over the dough with cling-wrap this will prevent a "skin" from forming on the dough.