Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-20-2011, 17:24   #46
adal
Quiet Professional

Tonight is fish tacos. yummie
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30   #47
mark46th
Quiet Professional

TS- Yep. It is great with flank steak. Good stuff!!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 17:48   #48
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
TS- Yep. It is great with flank steak. Good stuff!!
I bring it to room temp (a couple hours on the counter) grill it for about 3 minutes each side and let it rest. I cut it real thin against the grain and on a bias. I then usually put it on some sort of salad. One of my fav's also.
Old 04-21-2011, 18:12   #49
Richard
Quiet Professional

Tonight - grilled bone-in ribeye and asparagus, garlic mashed potates, a Cardinal Zin Beastly Old Vines Zinfandel.

The asparagus was marinated for an hour in a gallon zip-lock containing olive oil and Italian herbs before grilling.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 18:22   #50
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Tonight - grilled bone-in ribeye and asparagus, garlic mashed potates, a Cardinal Zin Beastly Old Vines Zinfandel.

The asparagus was marinated for an hour in a gallon zip-lock containing olive oil and Italian herbs before grilling.

Richard
Richard, The chef's will correct me if I'm wrong but with fruits or veggies you macerate, not marinate.

Marinate means to coat or immerse foods in an acidic-based liquid or dry rub, to tenderize and flavor before cooking. Food is marinated in a marinade.

You could blanch and shock the asparagus (way ahead of time) and then a quick saute in your oil and herb blend...... just a thought.
Old 04-21-2011, 18:22   #51
mark46th
Quiet Professional

You should be on your second bottle of pinot or cabernet while the flank steak is resting. I have been using the infra-red burner lately for grilling. I put a pie pan full of Oak chips in first to get them smoking, then put on the meat. Good results.

Richard- I'm going to try your asparagus. Sounds tasty...
Old 04-21-2011, 18:30   #52
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Richard, The chef's will correct me if I'm wrong but with fruits or veggies you macerate, not marinate.

Marinate means to coat or immerse foods in an acidic-based liquid or dry rub, to tenderize and flavor before cooking. Food is marinated in a marinade.

You could blanch and shock the asparagus (way ahead of time) and then a quick saute in your oil and herb blend...... just a thought.
Macerate it is. Who would ever think cooking demnded more than enough hot sauce to make 'it' edible.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 04-21-2011, 18:42   #53
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Lately I have been stir frying my broccoli, asparagus and other vegetables. I do it quick and hot so the vegetables still have a snap to them. Sometimes I use soy or oyster sauce (corn starch for a thickener) for a different flavor profile. Soy for salty, oyster sauce for a sweeter taste. My wife is Chinese, I learned from her mother who was a terrific Cantonese cook...
Old 04-22-2011, 17:29   #54
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

Roasting is another excellent way to prepare asparagus (and other veggies). Toss with EVOO, Sea Salt and lemon pepper and whatever herbs are preferred.
Old 04-23-2011, 16:26   #55
Gypsy
Area Commander

Have a taste for pasta tonight.

Rigatoni with roasted chicken, roasted red and green peppers and pesto. Salad of mixed greens and spinach with cucumbers, tomatoes, kalamata olives and lemon pepper, dressed with EVOO and fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Old 04-23-2011, 18:43   #56
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Have a taste for pasta tonight.

Rigatoni with roasted chicken, roasted red and green peppers and pesto. Salad of mixed greens and spinach with cucumbers, tomatoes, kalamata olives and lemon pepper, dressed with EVOO and fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Why don't you kill two birds with one stone and make a olive oil lemon vinaigrette? 3 parts oil to one part acid, season and then balance. I'd use some lemon zest also.
Old 04-23-2011, 19:17   #57
Richard
Quiet Professional

Lemon peppered salmon and macerated asparagus (olive oil w/Italian herbs) on the grill + a bottle of Chateau Montelena 2007 Chardonay = dinner tonight!

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grill23Apr2011 019.JPG (84.6 KB, 40 views)

Old 04-23-2011, 19:45   #58
Penn
Area Commander

And we went where for dinner, the stockyards?
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 19:53   #59
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
NO CHEF, I did mise en place for chili!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 20:00   #60
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Next time we'll do my place, OK.

Richard