Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 12-11-2010, 05:53   #61
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rock View Post
Whatever can be scrounged up in the ER nurses lounge.
I have many fond holiday meal memories crowded around a potluck lunch/dinner with the nurses when we all were working the holidays - it definitely was good for morale and seemed to bolster my rapport with the nurses. My wife and kids would often drop in and have a plate and share the holkiday with us all.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55   #62
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Thumbs up

You Docs Rock!

Quote:
I have many fond holiday meal memories crowded around a potluck lunch/dinner with the nurses when we all were working the holidays - it definitely was good for morale and seemed to bolster my rapport with the nurses. My wife and kids would often drop in and have a plate and share the holkiday with us all.
The Docs at both facilities where I work are extremely generous, and usually spring for awesome Christmas spreads - if it weren’t for them we’d go hungry

There’s never a shortage of food around the holidays in any nursing lounge
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:05   #63
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
You gotta be a bachelor!.........
No, but I’m working on it…!

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 22:29   #64
TrapLine
Guerrilla

For Christmas Eve we will be having chicken cacciatore with ravioli and a tomato sugo. For dessert, walnut potica with sliced ham. My grandmother was a fantastic cook, and Christmas was when she really went all out. These recipes are a tribute to her and our family's Slovenian roots. Dober tek.
Old 12-12-2010, 13:51   #65
Nightfall
Guerrilla

Funny all the folks doing a prime rib/standing rib roast. We're doing one as well, I almost felt like it was no really a holiday meal. In addition to that we'll be doing my wife's great-grandmother's stuffing/dressing recipe that they prepare the night before every year. Side dishes will prolly be the normal garlic mashed potatoes, greens, sweet potatoes, someone will not doubt do some awful redition of green bean cassarole

I also just turned 37 (first time!), will no doubt be the oldest guy at OSUT when I ship in a couple of weeks.
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 14:27   #66
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Am thinking dark meat is the best choice for the season...soooo, goose or pheasent???
Fillet the goose/pheasant breast, slice thin jalapenos, cream cheese and roll wrap them in bacon, 375F until brown, cooked, crisp, melted cheese.

If you run out of goose/pheasant, bird, try using elk, deer or any wild game. Same recipe, thin sliced jalapenos, cream cheese, bacon.

If you run out of all that, just take some bacon and wrap it in bacon, now you're on too something!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 16:37   #67
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeManin2010 View Post
Maybe my infamous $30 mac and cheese.
So, does it contain lobster or something?
Old 12-12-2010, 17:50   #68
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
That, or he could be cooking for 2,100.

Quote:
World's Largest Cabot Macaroni and Cheese

Prep Time: 1 Hour
Yields: 2,100 Pounds

Ingredients:
* 575 pounds cooked macaroni
* 286 pounds mixed Cabot cheese
* 56 pounds butter
* 26 pounds flour
* 1,100 pounds of milk
* 61 pounds dry seasoning blend

Method:
In the kettle, melt butter over medium-high heat. Mix in flour and cook for 5 minutes. Slowly stir in milk until all is incorporated. Add seasoning blend and stir to mix well. Cook until milk mixture reaches 165 °F, stirring occassionally. Add Cabot cheese and stir constantly until it is completely melted while maintaining heat. Add cooked macaroni and mix well while thoroughly heating throughout. Top with additional Cabot cheese and garlic-butter bread crumbs.

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/worlds_largest_macncheese/

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 18:34   #69
WholeManin2010
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
That would be delicious.... But no, just a ton of six types of good quality cheeses. Enough to fill one of those huge disposable aluminum pans that people cook turkeys in. Very cheesy, very tasty - decadent, almost.
"Many current Army regulations and policies place insufficient emphasis on individual, crew, and unit marksmanship. If the fighting Army does nothing else, we must be able to hit our targets. Conversely, if we do all other things right, but fail to hit and kill targets, we shall lose."

--Army Vice Chief of Staff General John Vessey
WholeManin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 18:48   #70
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
That would be delicious.... But no, just a ton of six types of good quality cheeses. Enough to fill one of those huge disposable aluminum pans that people cook turkeys in. Very cheesy, very tasty - decadent, almost.
What type of cheeses do you use? I've been testing various combinations for both mac and cheese and grilled cheese, but haven't ventured much farther than colby, monterey jack, swiss, mozzarella, provolone and cheddar.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Old 12-12-2010, 19:32   #71
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Reggiano Parmesan is nice.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 19:36   #72
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Reggiano Parmesan is nice.

TR
Does it melt well? Depending on combinations and baking temps, I've had various results.

Old 12-12-2010, 20:34   #73
WholeManin2010
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
What type of cheeses do you use? I've been testing various combinations for both mac and cheese and grilled cheese, but haven't ventured much farther than colby, monterey jack, swiss, mozzarella, provolone and cheddar.
Colby (on top), extra sharp cheddar, parmigiano reggiano, romano, gruyere, and muenster. Comparatively small amounts of the parm reg and romano, dissolved in butter and cream.

IMO, all would be excellent for grilled cheese sammiches as well, except maybe the Colby.

ETA: Don't know if this should go without saying, but my mac n cheese is baked in the oven.
"Many current Army regulations and policies place insufficient emphasis on individual, crew, and unit marksmanship. If the fighting Army does nothing else, we must be able to hit our targets. Conversely, if we do all other things right, but fail to hit and kill targets, we shall lose."

--Army Vice Chief of Staff General John Vessey

Last edited by WholeManin2010; 12-12-2010 at 20:37.
WholeManin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 20:46   #74
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
Does it melt well? Depending on combinations and baking temps, I've had various results.
Killer mac and cheese.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=19156

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 21:01   #75
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
IMO, all would be excellent for grilled cheese sammiches as well, except maybe the Colby.
WM,

I've been doing Colby-Jack this week and it's actually quite tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
TR,

I actually have most of those ingredients stocked, to include Siracha for Killer M&C v2.0. Looks like I have a few more variations to try out.