Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Latin America

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23   #16
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Corruption being the key word there. Until they clean their own House. Take pride in their own Country. No amount of Aid from the U.S is going to change a thing. One of the things I learned working in Colombia and other South/Central American Countries. They loved their Country and wanted it to be a better place to live. I don't see any of that in Mexico or AStan.
Yeap... big problem in all Latin American Counteries.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31   #17
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Mexican police quit jobs

A big problem and something I think is going to get worst. Is small town poilce forces being attacked and walking off the job. I know this is happening already. One Example - Mexican Town's Police Force Quits After Ambush

How long before Mexico collapses??

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 13:58   #18
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have lived in Southern California most of my life. My first trip to Mexico was in 1969. I have worked and lived in Mexico. We are a constant reminder to Mexico of how poorly their country has developed. Mexico has been in existence almost 500 years. The United States has been in existence a little over 200 years. Economically, we are 100 years ahead of them. The fact that they are unable to care for their own people on such a large scale embarrasses them every morning they wake up.

I asked a friend of mine in Mexico how could the govenment and people get so corrupt? He said it started with the Conquista. A cruel, corrupt European culture conquered an even more cruel people with the present country being the result.

I found that the key to getting along in Mexico is to have as little contact as possible with any government agency...

Last edited by mark46th; 10-27-2010 at 14:02.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 14:14   #19
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Unlike other LATAM nations, Mexico carries alot of historical animosity towards the US (no matter what you may hear). This precludes them from asking for real help (i.e.- military might v. "security assistance"). until they can get past that (and, if the PRI takes over again, they probably won't) it's only going to get worse.
At some point one has to find a way to draw the line behind the past and the present. IMO, this task remains difficult when so many want to politicize the past to meet short term goals (staying in power) at the expense of long term interests. This dynamic of victimization plays out time and again across the planet. I've long wondered how historians can do a better job of addressing this dynamic rather than abetting (intentionally and unintentionally) in its perpetuation.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 14:36   #20
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I found that the key to getting along in Mexico is to have as little contact as possible with any government agency...
Good points, Mark. I've found that most Mexicans feel the exact same way!
Old 10-27-2010, 15:35   #21
mark46th
Quiet Professional

To save Mexico at this point, the Mexicans need either the Second Coming of Jesus Christ or Los Pepes...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 16:25   #22
Green Light
Quiet Professional

For Mexico to be saved it's going to have to save itself. But for reasons well-stated above, they just don't have the octane.

It's a shame. Mexico is the homeland of my great-grand father and generations before that. It could be almost as great as the US, but it never will.

As for the young sheriff, I give her a month before she's either run out (couldn't blame her) or they stuff her in a 55 gallon drum. Maybe Richard's right - the Magnificent Seven would be a step in the right direction.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 20:05   #23
DevilSide
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
As for the young sheriff, I give her a month before she's either run out (couldn't blame her) or they stuff her in a 55 gallon drum. Maybe Richard's right - the Magnificent Seven would be a step in the right direction.
That's a very sad reality

Poor girl has her whole life ahead of her, and she will likely die doing what other Mexican men should be taking the initiative to do. If thats not a sign the country is a mess I don't know what is.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 20:28   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
So what is diffrent in Mexico now than it was in the early 1900's? Nothing it seems to me. The problem is their instability is a real threat to this country. Ifeel bad for the people of Mexico but they need to quit putting up with this crap. I don't know if there is a good solution other that B-52'dropping ordnance on the cartel leaders houses and we all know none of the politicans here have the balls for that.
The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not.

Politics are the order of the day. They might be Democrat voters, so let them be.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:26   #25
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not.

TR
Some have, some haven't. I think QPs, by and large, fall into the latter instead of the former. Messing with our families & property would be a real mistake. It would all be over by the time the police got there. I don't think anyone here would just roll over like the Mexicans have.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 16:17   #26
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

This is what confuses me. We poured Millions of dollars, our best Military technology of the time and the cream of the crop of our Special Operation forces to hunt down Pablo Escobar. Thousands of miles away and no direct threat to the U.S. Don't think for a minute that killing Pablo slowed down the flow of Drugs into the U.S
Mexico borders our Country and it's problems bleed over directly into our Country but we do nothing. Is it because Mexico doesn't want us there? I know in the 90's they didn't want SF in their Country. Thats why the Mexicans were sent here to be trained. Whats it going to take for us to get involved like we did in Colombia.
Old 10-29-2010, 17:39   #27
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Whats it going to take for us to get involved like we did in Colombia.
IMO, it is going to take spectacular cartel-sponsored violence in Los Angeles before the federal government does what it might have done long ago.

So far, for what ever reasons, the L.A. area is not seeing the same level of violence as are other cities in border states.

Are the LAPD and other area law enforcement agencies doing that good of a job? (I would like to think "yes.") Or have the cartels figured out that by staying relatively quite in SoCal they can escalate elsewhere?
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44   #28
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Different town, similar story.

Quote:

The Mexican border town of Guadalupe has been left with no police force after the last officer was kidnapped.

Erika Gandara's house was set on fire by unidentified gunmen before she was abducted last week, according to the state prosecutor's office.

All her colleagues had resigned or were killed in the region's drug war.

More than 30,000 people have died in drug-related violence since 2006 when the President announced a crackdown on the cartels.

Ms Gandara, 28, had patrolled the town of 9,000 inhabitants on her own since June.

"Nobody wants to go into policing here, and the budget just isn't there anyway," she told AFP news agency earlier this year.

Guadalupe is about 5km (3 miles) away from the US border and 60km (40 miles) from Ciudad Juarez, the centre of drug smuggling operations into the United States.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12085405
trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 00:58   #29
incarcerated
Area Commander

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/wo...licechief.html

Concerns Raised Over Young Police Chief

By ELISABETH MALKIN
Published: March 4, 2011
MEXICO CITY — Marisol Valles García, the young mother who took the job of police chief in her violence-ravaged town when nobody else would, has not been to work in three days. On Friday, it appeared she might not be planning to come back soon....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...36-504083.html

Marisol Valles Garcia flees Mexican town after becoming police chief, says report

March 4, 2011 4:01 PM
Posted by Kevin Hayes
(CBS) Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman after becoming police chief of the small Mexican town of Praxedis, has reportedly fled and is seeking asylum in the United States.

A relative told Agence France-Presse on Thursday that Valles Garcia, 21-year-old mother and student, "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," and that she "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."

However, an official from the town of Praxedis, which is across the border from Fort Hancock in Texas, denied that their police chief was leaving.

Town secretary Andres Morales told the El Paso Times that Valles Garcia had asked for some personal days off to tend to her child, but is expected to be back at work on Monday.

As for the reports of her seeking asylum, "Right now, these are rumors," he said....

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46   #30
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/wo...licechief.html

Concerns Raised Over Young Police Chief

By ELISABETH MALKIN
Published: March 4, 2011
MEXICO CITY — Marisol Valles García, the young mother who took the job of police chief in her violence-ravaged town when nobody else would, has not been to work in three days. On Friday, it appeared she might not be planning to come back soon....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...36-504083.html

Marisol Valles Garcia flees Mexican town after becoming police chief, says report

March 4, 2011 4:01 PM
Posted by Kevin Hayes
(CBS) Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman after becoming police chief of the small Mexican town of Praxedis, has reportedly fled and is seeking asylum in the United States.

A relative told Agence France-Presse on Thursday that Valles Garcia, 21-year-old mother and student, "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," and that she "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."

However, an official from the town of Praxedis, which is across the border from Fort Hancock in Texas, denied that their police chief was leaving.

Town secretary Andres Morales told the El Paso Times that Valles Garcia had asked for some personal days off to tend to her child, but is expected to be back at work on Monday.

As for the reports of her seeking asylum, "Right now, these are rumors," he said....
Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman

Not surprising when all the male human species of mexico are either criminals or cowards.