Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Latin America

Old 01-14-2010, 18:25   #16
wet dog

Change of thread,...

I brought this over from the 'other' Haiti thread.

"This might seem like a wild idea, but rather than mobilize rescue efforts to Haiti, would it not serve our efforts better if had an exfil plan for the victims?

Setting up camps along the eastern mexico peninsula, south florida, costa rica. This would also inclease travel, access to other resources, raise revenue, family access, or better yet, family provided comfort. Then ship back after stabilization or common infrastructure as been made safe, i.e., water, power, etc."
Old 01-14-2010, 18:46   #17
Mr Furious
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
I brought this over from the 'other' Haiti thread.

"This might seem like a wild idea, but rather than mobilize rescue efforts to Haiti, would it not serve our efforts better if had an exfil plan for the victims?

Setting up camps along the eastern mexico peninsula, south florida, costa rica. This would also inclease travel, access to other resources, raise revenue, family access, or better yet, family provided comfort. Then ship back after stabilization or common infrastructure as been made safe, i.e., water, power, etc."
nice. - or - (with sacrasm) they could see how many can cram onto a floating raft for an exfil. Put the local population on an airplane and they'll scream uncontrollably in terror. It is a wild idea and that plan wouldn't work...most would never go back, and they would wind up driving taxis in NYC. The only reason most don't leave is beacuse they can't or their raft gets picked up or sinks. If they need better resources they could go to the other half of Hispanola...the one that isn't deforested and raped of it's natural resources.
Mr Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 18:56   #18
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejpeck View Post
nice. - or - (with sacrasm) they could see how many can cram onto a floating raft for an exfil. Put the local population on an airplane and they'll scream uncontrollably in terror. It is a wild idea and that plan wouldn't work...most would never go back, and they would wind up driving taxis in NYC. The only reason most don't leave is beacuse they can't or their raft gets picked up or sinks. If they need better resources they could go to the other half of Hispanola...the one that isn't deforested and raped of it's natural resources.
O.k., bad idea, you should read what Armymom sent me in an PM. Too funny, but not for public view.

I'm thinking internment camps, somewhere, and perhaps a safer environment for our rescue workers. Send them to France, the mother nation of responsibility.

Last edited by wet dog; 01-15-2010 at 00:22.
Old 01-14-2010, 19:17   #19
armymom1228

Quote:
O.k., bad idea, you should read what Armymom sent me in an PM. Too funny, but not for public view.

I'm thinking intermment camps, somewhere, and perhaps a safer environment for our rescue workers. Send them to France, the mother nation of responsibility.
Hey ALL I said was that Florida is Closed and that you are welcome to put them up at your place.

Surely you jest in expecting the French to take responsibility for what they created?
They cannot even decide on what cheese to have with thier whine.

No matter my previous comments. It must be horrific to go through this in such a place.
Anderson Cooper is just now talking about how dead people are being picked up by bulldozers and dumped into dump trucks. How people are dumping bodies in old cemetary crypts as many as they can stuff in a cypt. That no record of names being kept and all that. There is not central clearing house for aid groups.
That private groups are trying to coordinate among themselves. It sounds like a huge clusterfuck, typical of the country and such groups. The people are saying that thier government is of no use, and they are looking to the US. Gotta love it, under normal circumstances we are the ogre every third world country loves to hate. But when it all hits the fan, guess whom everyone turns to for aid, to sort it out and to give humanitarian money and aid.

The first US asset in haiti? The USCG cutter forward commanded by Cmdr Diane something.. Sailed out of Gitmo and there at first light. The coasties, as always rock!

Last edited by armymom1228; 01-14-2010 at 19:26.
Old 01-14-2010, 19:20   #20
Mr Furious
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I'm thinking intermment camps, somewhere, and perhaps a safer environment for our rescue workers. Send them to France, the mother nation of responsibility.
France.......brother you might be on to something there!
Mr Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:33   #21
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejpeck View Post
France.......brother you might be on to something there!
Perhaps I am a 'sick puppy'- but I think this could potentially be the best thing that has ever happened to Haiti in over 100 years. I doubt the country will be able to realize it. It is in a morass of sorrow from which it may never recover, no matter how much of the world's assets are poured into said morass.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02   #22
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymom1228 View Post
Gotta love it, under normal circumstances we are the ogre every third world country loves to hate. But when it all hits the fan, guess whom everyone turns to for aid, to sort it out and to give humanitarian money and aid.
Very true. When tsunami ravaged the largest moslem country in the world, who showed up first at the region hardest hit, the one with separatist movement wanting the establish shariah rule? Was it Kuwait? Iran? Malaysia? Saudi Arabia? Nope, it was the infidel, the great satan instead. This is one of the reasons I'm convinced we are the lesser evil, if not plain straight the good guys. Love your neighbor, even when they spit at your face and occasionally want to kill you.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 13:27   #23
armymom1228

Well the US forces are already being touted to provide security in Haiti.
Can someone spell "Rome"?

TR, your "one second after" scenario is taking place, sorta kinda.

There was a scenario where a guy in a van came up to the airport a few hours after the quake with sub sandwiches and water. At first the women and children were allowed to get food, then the stronger males pushed them out of the way and when the food was gone, it turned to mild chaos. This was just a few hours after the quake. Imagine what it will be like a week from now. NO food, minimal water.. aid hard to get in due to logistics. Acess from sea to the port is okay, but the road is messed up. Air traffic control is two Coasties with radios on the lawn. Are we good or what?? Roads messed up. It was suggested that supplies be helo'd to the parts of town that need them due to road problems.

I think that we can all look at this as a case study for when or if the shtf scenarios. There will always be those few who rise to the occasion to lead and organize to inspire others. There will always be those who just give up and expect others to do for them.
YMMV
AM
Old 01-15-2010, 13:32   #24
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

No matter how much Money we pour into that country. Things will never change...NEVER.
Old 01-15-2010, 13:43   #25
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No matter how much Money we pour into that country. Things will never change...NEVER.
Yep, I once spent a year in Washington, DC, too...I think it was on a Sunday.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:13   #26
LarryW
Area Commander

Disasters amplify the nature of the civil order that's already there (or isn't there).

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T1
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23   #27
Pete S
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymom1228 View Post
I think that we can all look at this as a case study for when or if the shtf scenarios. There will always be those few who rise to the occasion to lead and organize to inspire others. There will always be those who just give up and expect others to do for them.
YMMV
AM
A case study on the extreme end of the spectrum.
With a reported 80% unemployment rate in country I don't see many locals rising to the occasion.

I think an important step was missed at the beginning.
82nd should have jumped in.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 13:12   #28
Geenie
Guerrilla

Well,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Disasters amplify the nature of the civil order that's already there (or isn't there).

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T1
I would contend that, no matter the society, this is only true up to a certain point.

To quote someone more knowledgeable than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
90% of the nice Americans are about 72 hours from reverting to savages.

Take away electricity, clean water, flush toilets, comms, wheels, a full cupboard, a universally accepted currency, and stores full of things to buy and watch what happens within days.

See Katrina for examples.
http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...ad.php?t=25402
Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 13:29   #29
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Caught the tail end of the CNN broadcast that said Obama signed some order to allow the existing Haitians a "Stay" on deportation and possibly allowing the Haitians that are in Haiti to come here without the current requirements that had prohibited them in the past.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 13:44   #30
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Caught the tail end of the CNN broadcast that said Obama signed some order to allow the existing Haitians a "Stay" on deportation and possibly allowing the Haitians that are in Haiti to come here without the current requirements that had prohibited them in the past....
A temporary protected status for Haitian nationals who were in the United States as of Tuesday has been designated by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, she announced Friday.

"This is a disaster of historic proportions and this designation will allow eligible Haitian nationals in the United States to continue living and working in our country for the next 18 months," she said.

"Providing a temporary refuge for Haitian nationals who are currently in the United States and whose personal safety would be endangered by returning to Haiti is part of this administration's continuing efforts to support Haiti's recovery."

Napolitano estimated 100,000 to 200,000 Haitian nationals are in the United States illegally. She told reporters the temporary status allows them to stay for 18 months, authorizing them to work and send remittances back to Haiti as the nation "gets back on its feet."

However, she said, Haitians who now attempt to travel to the United States will not be eligible for the temporary status and will be repatriated to Haiti. She added that there have been no signs so far of an increase of Haitian nationals trying to enter the United States after Tuesday's earthquake.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/....us/index.html
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote