Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 12-25-2009, 14:41   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeC86 View Post
Reaper I believe this is what you were looking for.

It will be in the mail soon.
Exactly.

I look forward to it.

Thank you very much.

Merry Christmas indeed.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 16:32   #17
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
To all you young tigers,German beer is the only beer.......
can't argue with that. As the old joke goes: Why is American beer served cold? ...

No alcohol for me though. Just got back from a ~55lbs therapy session. Apparently sugar/eggnog/cappucino-packed + rucking to christmas music, while fun at first, suck near and after the end.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 00:00   #18
Claemore
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_31-B View Post
I know alot of people are upset that Bud sold out to Inbev, its a disturbing trend but I dont think it will be a total loss. If im not mistaken INBEV which distributes alot of the Belgian beer here in Europe will soon start distributing the more popular ones in more regions stateside. Trust me this is not a bad thing.

I dont consider myself a 'beer snob' by any means but gents let me tell you, the stuff here in Belgium is Delicious and if I or anyone else can eventually get it stateside

Happy Days Indeed.

Merry Christmas to All, if you are Downrange please stay safe. If you are lucky enough to be at home, or with family, even better.
What bothers me about it is that a great American company sold out to a foreign company. I never had a problem with Stella Artois- good beer.

One of the reasons America is having the economic problems we are having. Either we are selling out, or all our products are made overseas. A-B should make a beer called NAFTA to celebrate.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:03   #19
Paul_31-B
Asset

I agree

I wholly support Buying American, as you said though we do these things to ourselves. Thats a discussion for a different thread though....

Id like to hear thoughts on any(more) good beer that anyone had the chance to Drink over the Holidays?
Paul_31-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:56   #20
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_31-B View Post
I wholly support Buying American, as you said though we do these things to ourselves. Thats a discussion for a different thread though....

Id like to hear thoughts on any(more) good beer that anyone had the chance to Drink over the Holidays?
if your a Pilsner fan you can't beat this...

http://www.pilsnerurquell.com/in
dadof18x'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:03   #21
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
To all you young tigers,German beer is the only beer....... It's like Physical Training the Blitzzz method is the only method....... Got it?

Big Teddy

Hey Teddy,

Are you able to find imported German beers in rural Mississippi?

I'll take a Paulaner Hefeweizen.

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-26-2009 at 12:11.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 20:29   #22
Findoan
Asset

My day job is beer purchaser for a 'fine wine' grocery store, so I get to preview many of the country's, and the world's finest beers. First job I've ever had where I look forward to taking the job home with me.

TR, if you haven't already, look into online beer stores. If it's legal in your state, you can often pick from a selection that beats any you can find in a brick and mortar store, buy them a bottle at a time, and have them shipped to you. Also, if I may suggest a few more, by your interest in GI's wonderful stout- Ten Fidy, by Oskar Blues Brewery; Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, by North Coast Brewery; and Founder's Breakfast Stout, by Founder's Brewery (also a mid-west brewery, out of MI I believe). All of them are excellent representations of stouts, and while none of them are inexpensive, you'll find that you get your dollar's worth out of each of them.

Paul, you're thinking of Westmalle- a great example of what is currently the world favorite style of beer, the Belgian golden ale. You're really in the heart of beer country, there. I'm quite jealous. La Chouffe and Delerium Tremens are my personal faves. I'm enjoying an Houbblon Chouffe as I write this, in fact.

Back to my lane.
Findoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 00:00   #23
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findoan View Post
My day job is beer purchaser for a 'fine wine' grocery store, so I get to preview many of the country's, and the world's finest beers. First job I've ever had where I look forward to taking the job home with me. . . . .
. . . Back to my lane.
I want to be your friend.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 00:19   #24
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Well Findoan, after a year of being a member and only now putting up your second post, that was certainly one to make a man jealous.

I got to stop by North Coast a couple summers ago and bought some of their Rasputin. It was a strong one to say the least. I was also able to pick up one they had made for the 10th Anniversary of Earth Fare stores. It was a Champagne style beer. I forget the name of it. Got me loopy enough though...

I love a LaChouffe. Their bottles look great in the collection as well.

If people are still in the giving mood, I would love some New Glarus. I have actually gone so far as to call the brewery and ask an employee to buy some and mail it to me, but no dice. It can't be had outside of Wisconsin. I sure could use some Spotted Cow or some Belgian Red. I am willing to compensate...
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51   #25
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Hey Teddy,

Are you able to find imported German beers in rural Mississippi?

I'll take a Paulaner Hefeweizen.
M,

You got to be kidding,there are a few places you can find some good old german beer around here but the prices are unbelieveable........ I've mentioned that I'm on Social Security so I really can't afford them any more....... That's why I buy Keystone 30 cans for $13.95........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 13:29   #26
Claemore
Guerrilla

Quote:
M,

You got to be kidding,there are a few places you can find some good old german beer around here but the prices are unbelieveable........ I've mentioned that I'm on Social Security so I really can't afford them any more....... That's why I buy Keystone 30 cans for $13.95........

Big Teddy
Keystone is good cheap beer. I drink that all the time as well.
Old 12-27-2009, 21:00   #27
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
No alcohol for me though. Just got back from a ~55lbs therapy session. Apparently sugar/eggnog/cappucino-packed + rucking to christmas music, while fun at first, suck near and after the end.
FF,

Did the EXACT same thing to top off my Christmas, however I met an old buddy who was in town post-therapy for a few Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Nothing like rucking through the snowy Northeast to Sinatra and other classics (it inspired me to knock out two more miles and got back past dark). Great way to end a great two days, although I paid dearly this morning.

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday, whether home or abroad.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 00:30   #28
MARSOC0211
Auxiliary

Big fan of Stone Smoked Porter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 404stonesmoked.jpg (23.6 KB, 23 views)

Things are never as bad as they say they're going to be, until they are, then they're way f'n worse.
MARSOC0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53   #29
XJWoody
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSOC0211 View Post
Big fan of Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Imperial Stout is pretty good stuff too. 'Tis a shame they haven't got much coverage in the MCNC AO... I'm not much of a beer drinker, but finding those locally could change things.
XJWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 17:20   #30
Claemore
Guerrilla

Breckinridge Brewery has Agave Wheat. Very good.

Pete's Wicked Ale has the Rally Cap Ale, and their Strawberry Blonde is also real good.