Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27   #31
Penn
Area Commander

Wanted to remind you to report back on how Orion 5 treated that butt of yours.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 18:43   #32
dennisw
Area Commander

Well I purchased an Orion Cooker about a month ago. It should be noted that I have never really smoked meat before. However, I love this cooker. I buy these incredibly large chickens from Costco and put them on the cooker. Wow are they good. Cooking some tasty things right now. Eating the smoked chicken sandwiches during the week makes it worthwhile.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:10   #33
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Well seeing how I'm in Afganistan this Thanksgiving, is anyone going to be smoking there turkey in there Orion cooker?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25   #34
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
Well seeing how I'm in Afganistan this Thanksgiving, is anyone going to be smoking there turkey in there Orion cooker?
Roger that. Every thing else has been so easy to smoke, I have to give a turkey a try.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 23:46   #35
orion5
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
...is anyone going to be smoking there turkey in there Orion cooker?
No, probably not....but thanks for asking.

o5
orion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40   #36
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5 View Post

o5
Bahdumbump!

Good one!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 17:23   #37
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5 View Post

o5
Nice.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:46   #38
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
OK, just cooked the best ribs I've eaten in a couple years on this Orion cooker. Here's what I did:

1. Put rub on the ribs.
2. Hung ribs on rib rack in cooker, put on lid.
3. Put charcoal in cooker, lit it.
4. Came back in 1.25 hours, took ribs in house and served.

Ribs looked perfect, were fall-off-the-bone tender. This cooker is the bomb.
Did you use any wood chips? Did you put anything in the drip pan? I watched a youtube of a guy doing ribs, he put apple cider vinegar in the pan.

I tried mine twice, comments would be make sure you get a good application of a tried and true rub. Type and quantity of wood chips of chips is key. My first try was a chicken with Jack Daniels chips and the dark smoke coating was a bit too much.
Today I did ribs w/ apple chips. Outstanding, and I can't incinerate it!
Isaiah 2:17

The arrogance of man will be brought low
and the pride of men humbled;
the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
dadof18x'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 13:46   #39
craigepo
Quiet Professional

The only time I've needed to put anything in the drip pan was when I cook fish. I will get back to you on whether anything is needed for a boston butt.

I use wood chips, but very sparingly. The smoke all stays in the smoker, so a little smoke goes a long way. The jack daniels chips are pretty potent. The fruit woods are pretty good, as is mesquite. Haven't tried any hickory yet.

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
Old 11-14-2010, 19:54   #40
dennisw
Area Commander

I cooked a turkey a couple of weeks ago and it came out okay. I did not use a meat thermometer which is something I always do now. Right now I have a couple of chickens cooking. I used a maple rub I bought at Costco and maple wood chips. I've done this before and it comes out really good. I will make chicken sandwiches and chicken pot pies with the chicken. Very tasty.

There is a forum on www.theorioncooker.com which is new, but has some good stuff.
Old 11-14-2010, 21:12   #41
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

How does this smoker work in windy areas? I live in an area with a strong wind that kicks up anytime I try to do anything remotely close to this. Winters can be cold too.

I purchased an offset smoker several years back but I was unable to gain the necessary skills or patience to use it effectively. I wound up selling it at a yard sale for $20.

I am leaning more towards an electric indoor model someday but am open to this model if it will work for me.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32   #42
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
How does this smoker work in windy areas? I live in an area with a strong wind that kicks up anytime I try to do anything remotely close to this. Winters can be cold too.

I purchased an offset smoker several years back but I was unable to gain the necessary skills or patience to use it effectively. I wound up selling it at a yard sale for $20.

I am leaning more towards an electric indoor model someday but am open to this model if it will work for me.
I do a lot of smoking with an electric smoker and when it gets windy or real cold I'll wrap the smoker with tinfoil to block the outside wind and cold. I was also thinking of building a small cinder block enclosure just to block wind and cold.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16   #43
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post

The manual that comes with the cooker states that wind will have an effect on cooktimes, low temperatures not so much.

I think that wind will effect the Orion more than a regular smoker. This is because the Orion cooks in a sort-of convection way. The charcoal goes around and on top of a sealed cooking canister, and heats the outside and top walls of the canister. A strong wind moves some of the heat away before it can contact the outside wall of the canister; result is less heat, and longer cooking times.

On a normal smoker, the heat source is in the same heat box, or adjacent thereto. The charcoal is semi-protected by the metal heat box, as opposed to being open like the Orion.

"Smoking" is easy on the Orion. If you are wanting to cook indoors, the Orion won't work for you. Open charcoal flame needs to vent outside. If it is just a "cold-temperature outside" issue, the Orion will do the deal.

Josey Wales
Old 11-19-2010, 18:32   #44
dadof18x'er
Guerrilla

orion forum

here's some more tips and recipes for the Orion. We're trying a turkey this weekend.

http://www.theorioncooker.com/commun...wforum.php?f=2
Isaiah 2:17

The arrogance of man will be brought low
and the pride of men humbled;
the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
dadof18x'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 22:32   #45
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Please get pictures for me.