Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 08-28-2007, 07:44   #61
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT
Bourbon should be savored and only consumed on the rocks. OK if you have to drive use a little 7up to keep your sugar level high to make it home (Oh that is what I do here in the US I just sit on the porch and drink with the neighbors. Shoot a few animals dumb enough to stray into our sights. Love being able to shoot in any direction and the bullet will fall on my land.
Women Love Wild Turkey 101 with 7up. It really sneaks up on them.
Big WT fan here as well. In fact I'm a little chapped that they've watered down the Russells Reserve from 101 to 90 and repackaged it. For quite a while it was considered a sleeper, and one of the best values on the market as far as a 10yo product goes.

Can't be Sprite either... something about the dryer flavor of 7up. Sometimes we put a waft of sour in with it to cut the sweet even more. Tumbler full of that is our go-to drink around hunting camp.
Old 09-14-2008, 21:23   #62
jw74
Guerrilla

This web site is a budget-killer!

Usually, I celebrate with Glen Livet Scotch, and commiserate with Jack Daniels. After reading on here about PVW, I went to buy some and after my eyebrows settled from looking at the price, I chose a bottle of Basil Hayden's and really enjoyed it. It's smooth like a good scotch with a little bit of a carmel taste. Now, if I can just add a little to that savings and procure one of those Chris Reeves PS knives...
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 16:37   #63
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

Recent posts here make me think I need to try the Wild Turkey. Maker's Mark was the only bourbon I much cared for out of the ones I tried. I didn't want to be a quitter, so I thought I should try sneaking up on whiskey via Scotch hoping my genealogy might help me along, so I tried Glenlivet today. I can see its virtues. Will try some more this evening at bedtime.

Edit: Just saw the Scotch thread. But since I live in bourbon country I feel it's my patriotic duty to learn at least one bourbon that I really like.

Last edited by Sweetbriar; 09-20-2008 at 16:43.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 18:42   #64
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Recent posts here make me think I need to try the Wild Turkey.
IMHO, Wild Turkey 101 is very smooth, goes down well either on the rocks or with a mixer, and is best sampled while in the company of a QP.

Definately worth a try Sweetbriar.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12   #65
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ppy-van-winkle
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:41   #66
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
From that article:

Quote:
"You have to prove to me that you know what you're talking about before I will sell you a bottle."
I love that line. I've never had this bourbon or heard of it, but you've raised my interest (as I love a good bourbon).
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:56   #67
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Makers Mark to cut alcohol volume

Maker’s Mark cutting alcohol volume in its bourbon

Quote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The producer of Maker’s Mark bourbon is cutting — likely permanently — the amount of alcohol in each bottle to stretch every drop of the famous Kentucky whiskey. The alcohol volume is being lowered from its historic level of 45 percent to 42 percent — or 90 proof to 84 proof.

The brand known for its square bottles sealed in red wax has struggled to keep up with demand that more than doubled the past seven years. Distribution has been squeezed and the popular premium brand has had to curtail shipments to some overseas markets.

“Over the last 100-plus days, there are many, many instances across lot of different cities where bars, restaurants, package stores have run low, run out,” Rob Samuels, chief operating officer for Maker’s Mark and grandson of the brand’s founder, said Monday.

“Given the surge in demand outstripping supply, what we’ve decided to do very carefully is to slightly reduce the alcohol volume.”

The recipe and production process will stay the same, except “a touch more water” will be added when the whiskey comes out of the barrel for bottling, Samuels said. The brand’s bourbon is made at its distillery near the small town of Loretto, 45 miles south of Louisville.
While I am partial to scotch, when I do drink bourbon, it is usually Makers. I am curious to see how this plays out...
Old 02-12-2013, 19:30   #68
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOfH View Post
Maker’s Mark cutting alcohol volume in its bourbon

While I am partial to scotch, when I do drink bourbon, it is usually Makers. I am curious to see how this plays out...
Bet they don't cut the price to match.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:49   #69
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I got the same info....

I have heard from the family back home this is not going down well in KY.......

I just set aside a bottle just incase this does happen for my collection.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:51   #70
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
The price per bottle has been going up in my area, my last liquor store run had it at $3 more than the last time I bought a bottle(about 6 months ago). Small supply and larger demand. What I have been told is that Makers Mark is a mainstay in most bourbon collections, much like a (IMO) Glenlivet 15 is to a scotch collection.

My .02
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57   #71
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I am a Kentucky boy and grew up on Bourbon.

Bourbon should be savored and only consumed on the rocks. OK if you have to drive use a little 7up to keep your sugar level high to make it home (Oh that is what I do here in the US I just sit on the porch and drink with the neighbors. Shoot a few animals dumb enough to stray into our sights. Love being able to shoot in any direction and the bullet will fall on my land.
Women Love Wild Turkey 101 with 7up. It really sneaks up on them.
NO! NO! No! Bourbon should only be consumed neat.

I have to laugh at people griping about Maker's cutting it's proof (adding water) when they cut their's by drinking it on the rocks or with water, cola, etc.

Last edited by VVVV; 02-13-2013 at 08:01.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23   #72
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I got the same info....

I have heard from the family back home this is not going down well in KY.......

I just set aside a bottle just incase this does happen for my collection.
I set aside a few cases.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010619_crop.jpg (69.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-13-2013, 15:09   #73
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
TR Sir is spot on as usual!

Must just say though that, well if Your day is Hell, and you really need to unwind, (after saving the world like QP's,) just spend the extra dollar or two and indulge on Bulliet Burbon!

Am still single, but someday when I greet my one and only when He walks thru the door...it willbe with a nice shot of Burbon!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48   #74
ECUPirate09
Asset

From Facebook

Quote:
You spoke. We listened.

Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com
The right move, IMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53   #75
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I thought they would relook their decision..... Great news....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote